• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GI JOE #21,..Still worth slabbing?

77 posts in this topic

...I'm going to be selling a large lot of books for a friend of mine and was cherry picking through the first box and found this,..it's a real sweet copy,..is this still worth slabbing or is raw the way to go?...

gijoe21d.jpg

...I'm going to be selling a large lot of books for a friend of mine and was cherry picking through the first box and found this,..it's a real sweet copy,..is this still worth slabbing or is raw the way to go?...

gijoe21d.jpg

You can sell it to me raw :)

...well I'd say it's a definite 9.4, but more likely a 9.6 with 9.8 potential,..so I'm kind of on the fence about whether or not to slab it,...

What worries me about this book is going into 2009, there were only 3 CGC 9.8 copies. Now with the excitement of the movie, there are 15. And there are 83 CGC 9.6 copies out there, which I believe was 50 (give or take) going into the new year.

That's a lot of high-grade copy growth only 6 months later on a book that was supposedly very hard to find in high grade.

Still, nice to have, but I wonder how many more will come out soon from raw collections in the 9.6-9.8 range.

...for some odd reason I was never able to find dealers with huge back stock of this book,..I used to know a guy with hundreds of copies per title for mid 80's Marvels all uncirculated, but nothing for this book...I don't have any idea of the print run compared to Marvel titles of the same period though

...for some odd reason I was never able to find dealers with huge back stock of this book,..I used to know a guy with hundreds of copies per title for mid 80's Marvels all uncirculated, but nothing for this book...I don't have any idea of the print run compared to Marvel titles of the same period though

I've tried to find that myself, but did run across this on how to tell the different in printings. Especially after someone posted a GI Joe 21 CGC 9.6 that was mistakenly encased as a 1st print and had a black Spider-Man UPC.

http://www.yojoe.com/comics/joe/2ndprints.shtml

What worries me about this book is going into 2009, there were only 3 CGC 9.8 copies. Now with the excitement of the movie, there are 15. And there are 83 CGC 9.6 copies out there, which I believe was 50 (give or take) going into the new year.

That's a lot of high-grade copy growth only 6 months later on a book that was supposedly very hard to find in high grade.

In my humble opinion. Anyone who ever believed this was a tough book in grade was smoking crack. Its a friggin mid 80s marvel for god's sake. ANYTHING in that time period from that publisher is going to be easy in high grade. Those are some of the most common and well preserved books in the hobby. How anyone could ever fool themselves into thinking they are rare in grade ('because it was a kids toy line') is either clueless or hasn't been around the hobby very long :preach: :preach: :preach: :preach: :preach: :preach: :preach: :preach:

I hear you, but even if it sold HALF what surrounding issues sold (extremely doubtful it would be that low) - it would still be a ridiculously common book, even in grade. The only surprise is that the illusion of scarcity on this book took this long to lift

...I would have to agree mid 80's books are plentiful in uncirculated condition,..but for some odd reason I've never been able to find a stash of these anywhere

...I would have to agree mid 80's books are plentiful in uncirculated condition,..but for some odd reason I've never been able to find a stash of these anywhere

Maybe hoarded by those that were fans of the series early on. There was a thread a few weeks back where someone talked about having a case of the first issue that they slowly sold off over the years.

Wouldn't be surprised if this was the norm.

theres bo reason to believe that ANY 80s Marvel comic is scarce in any grade, up to and including 9.6/8. Just too many collectors actively protecting their comics. In time I have to think the illusion of ABY scarcity in grade will be a like believing the world was flat... making ab assumption based on limited facts until actual research proves it copmpletely erroneous.

Id like to know how this will affect comics collecting? When nothing is scarce anymore, whay will peolke collect and why should they paygrade/ scarcity multiples?

...I'm pretty much looking at a full run of G.I. Joe a Real American Hero in NM condition,..are there any other issues worth slabbing other the the #21?

theres bo reason to believe that ANY 80s Marvel comic is scarce in any grade, up to and including 9.6/8. Just too many collectors actively protecting their comics. In time I have to think the illusion of ABY scarcity in grade will be a like believing the world was flat... making ab assumption based on limited facts until actual research proves it copmpletely erroneous.

Id like to know how this will affect comics collecting? When nothing is scarce anymore, whay will peolke collect and why should they paygrade/ scarcity multiples?

exactly.

as for how it affects comic collecting, well, I guess history has shown us that when nothing is scarce people find ways to collect that have some sort of scarcity built in. I.e. 80s marvels (hell even 60s marvels) are only desired in top grades, art as its one of a kind, etc.... if everything is common I guess you find the few things that are rare like high # slabs, art etc. If even 9.8s become common then I guess you look to 9.9s. Until at some point the whole silly house of cards comes tumbling down.

...I'm pretty much looking at a full run of G.I. Joe a Real American Hero in NM condition,..are there any other issues worth slabbing other the the #21?

1, 2, 25-26, any the list goes on.

Wouldn't the last issue be worth slabing as well?

Wouldn't the last issue be worth slabing as well?

Definitely!

Joe 21 in high grade will always be hard to find. I gave up on CGC after 3 submissions and they all came back 9.2, 9.4, 9.4.

They got a hard on for this book I think. What are there finally 3 copies in 9.8 now?

It is difficult to find in high grade, but I think CGC just was making a point on this book for years.

Joe 21 in high grade will always be hard to find. I gave up on CGC after 3 submissions and they all came back 9.2, 9.4, 9.4.

They got a hard on for this book I think. What are there finally 3 copies in 9.8 now?

It is difficult to find in high grade, but I think CGC just was making a point on this book for years.

I think you missed the previous page before this.

There are now FIFTEEN CGC 9.8's and over EIGHTY CGC 9.6 copies. So 2009 brought out more high-grade copies that supposedly didn't exist.

I bet we will see many more, which will be interesting.