• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is New Mutants #98 the next Hulk #181?

259 posts in this topic

way too many NM 98's ou there compared to the 181's. plus i love deadpool...but.....hes nowhere near as popular as wolverine

I dont know (shrug) Wolverine wasnt an instant success either,and New Mutants #98 is going for some bucks.A NM+ raw selling for 75.00+,CGC 9.8 selling for 350.00+.Thats quite expensive for a Copper Age book 2c

The problem with that hypothesis is that NM 98 didn't sneak up on anyone. It wasn't a single book out of a run where the rest were not popular at the time. In fact it was just the opposite.

By the time you got to NM 98, the Liefeld mania was in full swing. When he hit the title in issue #87 orders for New Mutants spiked considerably and people were grabbing multiple copies and bagging and boarding instantly.

The circulation numbers for New Mutants jumped by nearly 70% from issue #87 to issue #98...and issue #87 has a claimed circulation of over 180,000 copies. This book has never been rare in high grade, will never be rare in high grade. It's rare to find one in less than 9.6 shape frankly.

Just check the census. Out of almost 1200 blue label graded copies of NM 98 there are almost 820 copies in 9.6 or 9.8...about half of those are 9.8's.

Compare that to Hulk 181. 3556 blue label graded copies, only 164 copies attained 9.6 or above.

For NM 98 over 66% of the books are 9.6 or better and for Hulk 181 less than 5% are.

The numbers don't look favorable, at all, it's just far too plentiful in high grade to be a Hulk 181. The numbers it is getting right now are pretty good, I don't see a giant spike anytime soon...or ever.

Best,

C

way too many NM 98's ou there compared to the 181's. plus i love deadpool...but.....hes nowhere near as popular as wolverine

I dont know (shrug) Wolverine wasnt an instant success either,and New Mutants #98 is going for some bucks.A NM+ raw selling for 75.00+,CGC 9.8 selling for 350.00+.Thats quite expensive for a Copper Age book 2c

The problem with that hypothesis is that NM 98 didn't sneak up on anyone. It wasn't a single book out of a run where the rest were not popular at the time. In fact it was just the opposite.

By the time you got to NM 98, the Liefeld mania was in full swing. When he hit the title in issue #87 orders for New Mutants spiked considerably and people were grabbing multiple copies and bagging and boarding instantly.

The circulation numbers for New Mutants jumped by nearly 70% from issue #87 to issue #98...and issue #87 has a claimed circulation of over 180,000 copies. This book has never been rare in high grade, will never be rare in high grade. It's rare to find one in less than 9.6 shape frankly.

I completely agree with your analysis, but I'd like to see where you get these numbers. hm

Liefeld's first cover was #85, and first whole book was #86. NM #87 wasn't an *instant* success, but it was pretty hot n' heavy by the time the Wolvie crossover (#93, 94...and I think #93 is one of the best covers of the run, Liefeld's garbage anatomy aside.)

The first issue I speculated on was #93...ordered 15 copies straight from the shelf.

:cloud9:

I traded a NM #90 for a Fine Batman #234 a year later, and a run of #88-91 for....watch me now....Amazing Spidey #17, 40, 44, 46, 56, and a few in the 100's. Granted, they were Fair copies...but come on, for 4 comics less than a year old?

Still have 'em, too....

Shoulda traded ALL my New Muties.

I traded a NM #90 for a Fine Batman #234 a year later, and a run of #88-91 for....watch me now....Amazing Spidey #17, 40, 44, 46, 56, and a few in the 100's. Granted, they were Fair copies...but come on, for 4 comics less than a year old?

I love trades like that. :headbang:

I completely agree with your analysis, but I'd like to see where you get these numbers. hm

The Standard Catalog of Comic Books...the great Maggie Thompson book has Circ numbers, Cap City orders, and what the Cap City orders represent against all orders for most of the 80's and 90's stuff.

Me too....wanna a long box of NM's?...I got em right here for you. :wishluck:

C

The Standard Catalog of Comic Books...the great Maggie Thompson book has Circ numbers, Cap City orders, and what the Cap City orders represent against all orders for most of the 80's and 90's stuff.

C

Are they Mass copies?

C

I don't think anyone can wait that long for you to dig them out. :baiting:

Bastich.... :mad:

C

Are they Mass copies?

More like mess copies.... :sorry:

They come from the "OMG I can't believe Caira saved this junk all these years" pedigree.

I traded Magnus 0s with cards at the 1992 Heroes con (I had a big stack of them) at $100 each in trade for Marvel Silver. Win!

I traded Magnus 0s with cards at the 1992 Heroes con (I had a big stack of them) at $100 each in trade for Marvel Silver. Win!

:applause:

And here was my moderns-to-SA trade.

C

Are they Mass copies?

Mass produced. :gossip:

This could be a good investment for this one reason, this book was heavily dumped the last decade. Rob Liefeld had become a pariah in the industry. you had a Liefeld book you dumped it. no respect. so people who had dozens of copies of this in the 1990`s don`t have those copies now as they have all been dumped and sold in the dollar bins.

You'd have to do alot of searching/rummaging to find one in a dollar box these days.

It's been broken out again. It's a "wall book" at most dealer tables now.

if you even went back two years ago it could still be found in dollar box regularly, now as you say it`s a lot of searching. I remember getting a copy for a dollar at my lcs a few years back and he said you buy that Liefeld junk? I said only if it`s

NM #98 or #87 for a dollar. ;) I wonder if he still puts NM #87 and #98 in the dollar bin? nah probally not.

if you even went back two years ago it could still be found in dollar box regularly

No way. I'm a self-admitted New Mutants/Liefeld buyer (I don't know why, but I like that run) and I've been buying them local and on EBay since 1999. Needless to say, I have a ton. :insane:

There was no "dumping" of that book, and in fact, it was far more common to find a run listed without a #98, rather than the more popular (at the time) #87. Prices have certainly increased, but demand has always been there, and to state that many dealers were putting high-grade copies of New Mutants 98 in the dollar bins must be a joke, right?

if you even went back two years ago it could still be found in dollar box regularly

No way. I'm a self-admitted New Mutants/Liefeld buyer (I don't know why, but I like that run) and I've been buying them local and on EBay since 1999. Needless to say, I have a ton. :insane:

There was no "dumping" of that book, and in fact, it was far more common to find a run listed without a #98, rather than the more popular (at the time) #87. Prices have certainly increased, but demand has always been there, and to state that many dealers were putting high-grade copies of New Mutants 98 in the dollar bins must be a joke, right?

I have found a ton in the dollar bins up until about a year and a half ago or so. I was at WW Chicago 2-3 years ago and bought about 15-20 for $5 or less each.

I have found a ton in the dollar bins up until about a year and a half ago or so. I was at WW Chicago 2-3 years ago and bought about 15-20 for $5 or less each.

there are a lot of books that get dumped because they fall out of style. another one is the first Carnage,I have found this in the cheap bin also.these things run in cycles. one minute hot, then cold,then a new generation of moviegoers makes them hot again.

Well, $5 or less I can buy, but a *dollar* a piece for NM copies tossed in the bin? Maybe random, but not across the board for sure, as that book has been broken out on EBay for years.

P.S. This book is near-worthless in less-than-high-grade.