• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question regarding slabs, oily specs and what not.

7 posts in this topic

Just recently began collecting slabbed books, and I was wondering about the ugly oily specs showcased on a few of the recent buys. Reffering to visualy annoying spots / specs / areas on the holders themselves, not the comics - oily, puddle looking areas.

Most of the time these are tiny and probably just a result of the process of slabbing the comics, but a recent buy has a big glaring area smack accross the front cover. Just wondering how common these slab "defects" are, and how much one should care (shrug)

If it's the "gasoline rainbow shimmer" it's a normal thing that happens when the inner and outer well meet.

R.

If it's the "gasoline rainbow shimmer" it's a normal thing that happens when the inner and outer well meet.

R.

That's what I was thinking of, hard to describe really. Where's the OP to explain?

Well, it strikes me as somewhat different than the rainbow shimmer efffect, but its probably the same thing more or less. I added a pic, affected area is in the red square. Hard to spot on a snapshot, but its very visually striking up front. Sorta annoying cus it prevents me from fully enjoying this slab of a long time favourite cover! Guess I just have to deal or get another. :P So is this a common issue or a rare occurance?

slab02.jpg