• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manufactured Gold

2,576 posts in this topic

Interesting results from the Poll I put in place last night. Was actually quite surprised that it generated 77 votes in a single day. That's a pretty decent sampling size for a 24 hour period.

And if it is indeed representative of the collecting community as a whole, there seems to be a 3-to-1 ratio between those who support Disclosure (Whether they buy/sell Pressed books or not), and those who don't think its important.

Three fourths of those who voted support Disclosure.

Wow, if only our presidential elections were so conclusive.

Matt, did the people you talk to at shows just not get their votes in yet? wink.gif

I think that would be like trying to change human nature....which is impossible. You can't change the behavior, but you can change the general awareness that the behavior exists. That's where you best expend your energies, I believe.

If I wanted to, I could have voted twice. Once at work and once at home.

I am not saying that anyone did vote more than once, I am just pointing out that this factor alone would eliminate this survey from being methodologically sound and, therefore, should not be considered a fair sampling or representation of the collecting community.

I am not saying that anyone did vote more than once, I am just pointing out that this factor alone would eliminate this survey from being methodologically sound and, therefore, should not be considered a fair sampling or representation of the collecting community.

It is your login and password that matters, isn't it? Not where you are when you login. 1 account, 1 vote. Unless you have 2 acounts under diferent names, 1 for work email, and 1 for home email...Lantern..something you want to share with the class? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And I always think it is beffiting when making a poll to ask people who vote to post a

hi.gif I voted

So in the end, you can at least compare how many hands are waving, versus how many votes were cast.

Also, is there a way to BUMP a poll? I remember in previous polls I have made I wanted to bump it to a current page in case people missed it. Same as with Jives poll, is it a bumpable thing?

Not jive..I mean his poll.. I mean the poll Jive made.. I mean.. jive's poll, nope that came out wrong.. I mean, I like jives poll, but is it possible to bump jives poll without touching it?

Ze-

And then there's the fact that people who don't care about the issue probably gave up on this thread a hundred pages ago or so.

Personally, I think that of the people who are aware of the issue, there is a significant portion of the collecting community that cares about pressing. Whether they think pressing should be disclosed is another matter, but probably a good percentage of that portion does believe that it should.

Then there's the problem of enforcement of any duty to disclose. Maybe on a spot basis enforcement will be possible as people line up Heritage scans, but certainly not industry wide enforcement. I know education and scan searching will catch some books here and there (and then we can brand a non-disclosing seller as a bad guy even though we'll often have no idea whether or not he had the book pressed or bought it that way), but without education of the masses, there will be too many books for which no "pre-pressing" scans exist, and thus, nothing with which to compare post-pressing scans.

While we're talking about education, another thing that I think not many people have thought of is the following -- what do you think are the chances that as more people become newly educated about pressing, they'll decide to take advantage of its undetectable nature and start pressing their own books and selling without disclosure? The pressing issue right now only involves a relatively few people because its practice is not widely known among people not on these forums (dealers aside -- I'm talking about collectors here). Once you start educating people en masse about the "benefits" of pressing, I think you're going to have a much larger problem -- a veritable Pandora's Box, if you will. That's a practical problem that I haven't seen anyone address satisfactorily.

I think beat up readers will soon be all the rage.

" Man, look at this beater..Whooahh...it has gotta be pure dude..look at it.. all creased up and narly! How much you want for it? I will give you 10X Good book value!"

headbang.gif

It is your login and password that matters, isn't it? Not where you are when you login. 1 account, 1 vote. Unless you have 2 acounts under diferent names, 1 for work email, and 1 for home email...Lantern..something you want to share with the class? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And I always think it is beffiting when making a poll to ask people who vote to post a

hi.gif I voted

So in the end, you can at least compare how many hands are waving, versus how many votes were cast.

Also, is there a way to BUMP a poll? I remember in previous polls I have made I wanted to bump it to a current page in case people missed it. Same as with Jives poll, is it a bumpable thing?

Not jive..I mean his poll.. I mean the poll Jive made.. I mean.. jive's poll, nope that came out wrong.. I mean, I like jives poll, but is it possible to bump jives poll without touching it?

Ze-

I cannot believe that you are actually implying that I have more than one account. I posted how I voted. In fact, I am the only one that openly admitted to voting for the less than popular choice.

Now that I think about it, maybe I am wrong. I think that I will vote again.

hi.gif I voted

Ze-

I cannot believe that you are actually implying that I have more than one account. I posted how I voted. In fact, I am the only one that openly admitted to voting for the less than popular choice.

I think everyone here knows I was joking. My fault for not adding this to my post... poke2.gif

For the record, I was joking.

flowerred.gif

Ze-

But I was serious about not wanting to touch Jive's poll. tongue.gif

hi.gif I voted

Ze-

I think everyone here knows I was joking. My fault for not adding this to my post... poke2.gif

For the record, I was joking.

flowerred.gif

Ze-

sorry.gif

flowerred.gif

Doesn't stop dead guys in Illinios confused-smiley-013.gif

I cannot believe that you are actually implying that I am a dead guy in.....ahhh forget it.

tongue.gif

Well you've been swinging from that rope for 4 years now. tongue.gif

1088.jpg

While we're talking about education, another thing that I think not many people have thought of is the following -- what do you think are the chances that as more people become newly educated about pressing, they'll decide to take advantage of its undetectable nature and start pressing their own books and selling without disclosure? The pressing issue right now only involves a relatively few people because its practice is not widely known among people not on these forums (dealers aside -- I'm talking about collectors here). Once you start educating people en masse about the "benefits" of pressing, I think you're going to have a much larger problem -- a veritable Pandora's Box, if you will. That's a practical problem that I haven't seen anyone address satisfactorily.

I think this is only sustainable as long as there are buyers.

If you assume that this knowledge will spawn new Pressers, you must also assume it will create more people who start to shy away from HG slabs because of the manipulation factor (like myself and others here).

And if people in the hobby move away from high grade slabs as knowledge of Pressing is disseminated exponentially, who will all the new Pressers sell to? Each other?

I think a lot of that is already occuring in the hobby with the result being a ton of available books in 9.2 or better holders.

Afterall, I was mildly surprised when Bob's Spideys were selling so well off of the Blazing One's site. I really didn't think the market was so hot, especially not with all the Spideys available out there on other dealer sites.

But then it became quite clear that a significant portion of those sales weren't to collectors, but to (a) Flipper(s) whose only motive for the sale was finanical.

I don't know, the whole thing is starting to take on the feel of the last phase of the Valiant meltdown, where dealers were selling to one another and there wasn't nearly enough collector dollars around to take up the slack.

The future Mrs. Jive thanks you. tongue.gif

So can she bump your poll or what?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Not that way 893naughty-thumb.gif bump it to the current page, you fithy animal.

Ze-

Afterall, I was mildly surprised when Bob's Spideys were selling so well off of the Blazing One's site. I really didn't think the market was so hot, especially not with all the Spideys available out there on other dealer sites.

But then it became quite clear that a significant portion of those sales weren't to collectors, but to (a) Flipper(s) whose only motive for the sale was finanical.

I don't know, the whole thing is starting to take on the feel of the last phase of the Valiant meltdown, where dealers were selling to one another and there wasn't nearly enough collector dollars around to take up the slack.

or, maybe its just me, but does anyone else here feel a little bored with Marvels about now? Seems the cycles are changing, and SA Marvel just feels very common and old hat after 5 years of excitement. Im not saying they dont rule th eroost anymore, just that Marvel fatihue may have set in for a while as other stuff (GA?) feels more exciting and 'new'.

George:

I'm going to give you a "Get your head out of your $$$" card because very few of bob's Spidey's sold to this person. In fact almost "all" of the spidey's have sold to collectors.

So please do me a favor and stop singing the doom and gloom song when you know absolutely NOTHING about my business sales and who they are to.