• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manufactured Gold

2,576 posts in this topic

In an effort to provide useful information and hopefully add, on my part, some semblance of meaningful input, I'd like to present a few examples of books I've catalogued as appearing to have some form of treatment applied to enhance their appearance and monetary value.

In most cases, the treatments that I have been able to ascertain center on aesthetic repair. Whether it is in some form of cleaning, pressing, or combination of the two, it is my belief they were applied with the intent of returning the book to that of its original condition.

That said, I would like to state that I am by no means an expert in the area of restoration detection. Nor am I an expert in restoration treatment techniques and the procedures used therein. I am as much a novice in this area as I am a poster on these boards. So if there is error on my part, or there is opportunity to provide additional educational insight as to something for which I've missed, I would like nothing more than for those with experience to impart their knowledge for the benefit of all.

Prior to posting an example, I will make an effort to determine if it has seen previous board discussion. If after posting it is noticed that the book in question has indeed been aired earlier, please let me know and I'll delete it. Thx!

Planet Comics #38 (nee Crowley Copy)

In a matter of five months, this 9.2 designated Crowley Copy was purchased, treated, recertified as an un-designated 9.6, and then resold at auction for a positive gain.

The example appears to have been cleaned and pressed. Soiling, staining and minor creasing which appear on the original book have been removed, for the most part, upon examining the touched version.

The 9.6 (0044751005) was graded on October 10, 2002 and has become the highest graded copy to date. The 9.2 (0010526002) is no longer searchable in the CGC certification database.

Certification/Resale Provenance:

Certification/Resale Provenance

Resource Links:

Planet Comics #38 (9.2) Crowley Copy

Planet Comics #38 (9.6)

9.2 Crowley Copy Front

9.2 Crowley Copy Back

9.6 Front (nee Crowley Copy)

9.6 Back (nee Crowley Copy)

Prior to posting an example, I will make an effort to determine if it has seen previous board discussion. If after posting it is noticed that the book in question has indeed been aired earlier, please let me know and I'll delete it. Thx!

Excellent data w/ pictures format. thumbsup2.gif Very nice.

Even if a book has seen "previous board discussion" it would be interesting to see it in your format. With info like this scattered all over the place, having it centralized would be a nice touch.

I'd love to see all the known books put together on a single site.

Yes, so would I. One stop shopping for conducting this type of due diligence in preparation for a comic book business transaction. That would be great. It's something I'd be happy to help out with.

Well, there is a possiblity that it is a duplicate. Crowley was known to have duplicate copies of some books. However, they were all Fawcetts to my knowledge. Guess, you have a "Clean and pressed" on your hands.

Looking at the back cover it appears that there may be an identical marking on both covers. At the top left, about 1 to 1.5" from the edge there's an obvious dark spot or stain on the 9.2. On the 9.6 it appears that the same mark is there, only dramatically less obvious! 893whatthe.gif

Appreciate the kind comments one and all. I will continue to post examples as time permits ... This next one will make you sick to your stomach and leave you shaking your head wondering why. Quite unfortunate really. The extent that some will go for the sake of profiteering is simply amazing.If you have the time, I recommend you examine the hi-res scans to gain a full appreciation for the level of treatment done to this very small part of comic book history.**************** Fighting Yank #26 (Edgar Church / Mile High) Although the piece appears to be pressed, it is the cleaning treatment that is undeniably noticeable. I'm not sure exactly what process was used, but I will venture a guess and say it was more than just dry cleaning. As a result, the cover has lost all character aging and now exhibits an unreal reproduction look.The Church Copy of Fighting Yank #26 was purchased at auction as a CGC certified 8.5 with White Pages in the summer of 2002. It was billed as being "unparalleled in its stunning appeal". At the time, and prior to any manipulation, the Church Copy was the highest graded specimen to date. The copy appeared again at auction in the winter of 2002. This time minus any third-party grading certification. It was sold raw and advertised as a Mile High Pedigree in VF/NM (9.0) condition. The auction description, in part, included the following: "Exhibiting fresh pages, full gloss, and perfectly sharp edges..." and "CGC could not encapsulate the book due to an overhang along the right edge."The original 8.5 copy (0056475003) is no longer searchable in the CGC certification database, and only two copies of Fighting Yank #26 currently appear in the CGC census. One copy in 8.0 and the other in 5.0 condition respectfully.Certification/Resale Provenance:Fighting Yank #29 (Church Copy) Certification/Resale ProvenanceResource Links: Fighting Yank #26 (8.5) Edgar Church/Mile High Fight Yank #26 VF/NM (Raw) Edgar Church/Mile High Images:

Fighting Yank #26 (8.5) Edgar Church / Mile High

Fighting Yank #26 VF/NM (Raw) Edgar Church / Mile High

The following example provides an excellent illustration of what, in my opinion, constitutes disassembly and reassembly pressing treatments. So dramatic are the before and after images that one may safely assume the procedure involved removing the staples to individually press the cover and interior pages, then re-assembling the component parts to press as a complete unit.

One particular area of note concerning this piece is the degradation in page quality between certified versions. The treatment procedure, coupled with perhaps an over-zealous restorer, may have contributed directly to producing this unexpected and dire consequence. As a result, the decline in quality destroyed any hope of manufacturing a FMV upwards of $10,000.

Sub-Mariner Comics #1

First appearing at auction in October of 2002, this solid mid-grade copy of Sub-Mariner Comics #1, with cream to off-white pages and bearing a label comment of "two detached center wraps", sold for a respectable amount.

Three months later the book reappeared at auction. This time with a slight up-tick in its numeric grade and branded with a new text notation stating "2 small pieces of tape on centerfold; slightly brittle pages". The modified version met with reduced interest and realized a 22% loss from its original state. The evidence of pressing, slight cleaning, and the reattached center wraps went unnoticed and were not disclosed.

The 5.5 version (0064593001) was certified on November 27, 2002 and is positioned on the CGC census at the median grade. The original 5.0 (0055242008) is no longer searchable in the certification database.

Certification/Resale Provenance:

Sub-Mariner Comics #1 (5.0) & (5.5) Performance

Resource Links:

Sub-Mariner Comics #1 CGC VG/FN 5.0

Sub-Mariner Comics #1 CGC FN- 5.5

Sub-Mariner Comics #1 (5.0) & (5.5) Front Cover Comparison

Sub-Mariner Comics #1 (5.0) & (5.5) Rear Cover Comparison

Sub-Mariner Comics #1 (5.0) & (5.5) Edge Comparison

Any ideas on how the pages deteriorated that dramticly so quickly?Pro cleaning shouldn't do that,does it?

I'm wondering if improper bleaching, or if bleaching chemicals weren't properly neutralized afterward would cause it. confused-smiley-013.gif

fantasymasterpieces.com

[on bleaching] "The lignin was responsible for most of the discoloration but it also was responsible for the structural integrity of the paper. Remove the lignin and you have brittle paper."

Any ideas on how the pages deteriorated that dramticly so quickly?Pro cleaning shouldn't do that,does it?

I'm wondering if improper bleaching, or if bleaching chemicals weren't properly neutralized afterward would cause it. confused-smiley-013.gif

fantasymasterpieces.com

[on bleaching] "The lignin was responsible for most of the discoloration but it also was responsible for the structural integrity of the paper. Remove the lignin and you have brittle paper."

Chlorine bleach used to be used to make paper, but I do not believe anyone uses it to restore paper. I have read that it is extremely harmful to the paper. The chlorine bleaching and the washing the guy gave it (without resizing the paper) is probably what caused it to lose its strength and become brittle. Most conservators use hydrogen peroxide (which breaks down into oxygen and water if left in paper) or other substances, like Chloramine-T, which needs to be washed out and can leave behind harmful substances, or aqueous light bleaching, where paper is immersed in an alkaline solution and is covered with a layer of plexiglas or mylar and is exposed to sunlight for a couple of hours. This last method is the one that I believe Susan Cicconi prefers.