• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANOTHER CRAIG LIST HORROR STORY

54 posts in this topic

DRX

I remember that Craigslist ad! It's been running for about 2-3 months now. I wrote and asked for a list of the books, or at least some titles, and when he wouldn't provide that. I wrote back and said there is no way I'm driving out there when I'm not even sure what you have! Sorry you had to go through that.

Has anyone ever really gotten anything good off of Craig's List?

The only thing Ive gotten so far in about seven or eight viewings is a good headache. doh!

DRX

Has anyone ever really gotten anything good off of Craig's List?

The only thing Ive gotten so far in about seven or eight viewings is a good headache. doh!

DRX

I think it requires a lot of patience, the ability to spot possible gems, and some good negotiating skills. There have been several times that I've met people with decent books, but could not negotiate a reasonable price for them. Most of the people I've tried to deal with quote comicspriceguide.com prices in CGC graded 9.8 condition for all their stuff. They think their $5 Hulk 176 in Fine condition is worth $100.

I did go to a garage sale a few years ago that was listed on Craigslist where I scored a good sized stack of 20 and 25 cent comics ranging in grades from F/VF to VF/NM. The guy was asking 5 comics for $1. Most of them were Superboy & LSH, but there were also some BA Horror and War books. As an added bonus, I also became real good friends with the guy and have helped him sell some of his other comics.

seems there are more "I buy comics" ads on craiglist NY than bona fide comic offerings. i saw one listing where if the best 15-20 books were VF or better it would be worthwhile, but seriously, how likely is that?

Everybody should stay off Craigslist, especially in DC. You'll never find any comics there.

lol

I've done ok on Criagslist. I picked up this and these from Craigslist from US residents, and a few other local pick-ups. The shipped deals were a little unnerving as both sellers were not really experienced with shipping stuff that could damage easily. I made sure I did some checks on them beforehand - nothing extensive, but most importantly made sure the numbers and names matched up to a living person. The large silver-age collection was a bit of a risk due to the distance, but it panned out and both were really nice finds, as were the local ones.

Wow - you got the "Fiore" collection, huh? That guy has had that lot for sale for YEARs. I tried but he wasn't willing to budge a few years back.

Congrats!

Here's a recent one in my area. It looks like he could have some stuff, but if he considers this Fine condition, he's :screwy:

Iron Man 1

Yes, fine to wipe your arse with!

I was thinking more to blow your nose in. lol

DRX

DRX

I remember that Craigslist ad! It's been running for about 2-3 months now. I wrote and asked for a list of the books, or at least some titles, and when he wouldn't provide that. I wrote back and said there is no way I'm driving out there when I'm not even sure what you have! Sorry you had to go through that.

And I left out the good parts. lol

DRX

Wow - you got the "Fiore" collection, huh? That guy has had that lot for sale for YEARs. I tried but he wasn't willing to budge a few years back.

Congrats!

To be clear, I've been the owner of that lot since it was purchased off Craigslist. I even attempted to give the board members here first shot at it due to the circumstances of the seller - read about it here. That same year I bought it, I tried listing it on eBay twice, and perhaps a marketplace listing (don't recall). I'm not sure where you got the YEAR's part of it being for sale as it's been off the market for at least two years (that link I provided earlier is a mirrored page of the exact eBay listing). If you ever made me an offer, it was 3 years ago and likely during the time it was listed on eBay for no longer than the rotation time required for relisting an auction.

My husband and I actually got one good comic lot off of Craig's list. We also got a really cheap lot of so -so mostly bronze and silver lot. We have purchased live event tickets from CL too. There are a lot of scammers out there too though. So take everyone's advice and be careful! We would ask to meet in a crowded but open public place like cabela's. My daughter has sold a LOT of stuff on CL