• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SOT, BOT...Color Touching in other hobbies?

10 posts in this topic

My 15 year old daughter is a Beatles fanatic, as I was at her age. I gave her all my old vinyl albums and bought her a phonograph a few years ago. Last weekend, I took her to a local vintage record store to help her fill in a few holes in her collection.

We picked out a few and went to the counter to check out. The clerk was busy doing something to a stack of albums as we walked up, but I wasn't paying attention to what he was doing. We checked out, and I was putting the change in my wallet as he went back to what he was doing.

Picking up the bag, I started towards the door and noticed what the clerk was doing. He was doing color touches on a batch of new albums with a magic marker. Not even a quality marker like a Sharpie. He was using one of those big black Marks-a-Lot markers that fades to blue after time.

I asked the guy about what he was doing and he said it made the albums look better, and they did it to anything that was less than perfect. Reds, blues, blacks, whatever. He said it was an accepted practice in the hobby.

Anyone else ever heard of a hobby that turns a blind eye to such a barbaric color touch as this? :screwy:

My 15 year old daughter is a Beatles fanatic, as I was at her age. I gave her all my old vinyl albums and bought her a phonograph a few years ago. Last weekend, I took her to a local vintage record store to help her fill in a few holes in her collection.

We picked out a few and went to the counter to check out. The clerk was busy doing something to a stack of albums as we walked up, but I wasn't paying attention to what he was doing. We checked out, and I was putting the change in my wallet as he went back to what he was doing.

Picking up the bag, I started towards the door and noticed what the clerk was doing. He was doing color touches on a batch of new albums with a magic marker. Not even a quality marker like a Sharpie. He was using one of those big black Marks-a-Lot markers that fades to blue after time.

I asked the guy about what he was doing and he said it made the albums look better, and they did it to anything that was less than perfect. Reds, blues, blacks, whatever. He said it was an accepted practice in the hobby.

Anyone else ever heard of a hobby that turns a blind eye to such a barbaric color touch as this? :screwy:

I'm dissapointed in you. I was waiting for you to say you reemed him a new one.

lol

drx

I'm dissapointed in you. I was waiting for you to say you reemed him a new one.

lol

drx

I was gonna, but I have no roots in his hobby, and didn't have any facts to back up an argument. I have no intention of getting involved in it other than a few LP's to hang on my wall. I don't have anything of value, so it doesn't matter that much to me.

Yeah, comics about 15 years ago....

I have bought numerous collections with books that were color touched with black magic markers which bleed through like crazy.

People are stupid all over, not just in comics.

I know a couple people who collect high grade vinyl and i almost got into that before i got back into comics. This is not cool.