• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

man did this guy get screwed....

74 posts in this topic

The top edge of the cover only was micro trimmed = still a pretty nice copy.

Wonder how much that trim job is going to cost him on the sale? Looking at GPA, a PLOD 8.0 is a $1,200-1,900 book. A Universal 7.0 is a $6,700 book. He's trying to get a Universal slab price on a PLOD, not gonna happen. He probably cost himself $5,000 by fugging with this book trying to make it "look better"...stupid!

doh!

I couldn't tell if the top got trimmed or not,and how is trimming a book restoration? (shrug)

Well, it's not restoration - it's destruction.

Let's say you have an otherwise nice Silver Age book (about a 9.2) but it has some overhang on the cover that got bent enough in it's life that it's cracked, breaks colour, and possibly has a chip out at the corner. That issue would NOT grade at 9.2. Now, take a razor blade (or whatever) and cut that out, making the top look nice and neat again. Now, the book looks like a GREAT 9.4 - but it's not. And anyone selling it that way without disclosure would be pummeled on this website mercilessly (see: Robojo33.)

Cutting a comic book, for any reason, is NOT looked upon highly by anyone but scammers trying to sell a book as better than it originally was.

I hope this helps your understanding a bit.

-slym

And speaking Robo, anyone seen how many auctions hes running lately? Hes got over 90 this week and now it looks like hes selling coins. Look at the A.S.M. # 2 hes got listed at 9.6. Its up to $ 19,995.00. I thought he had another one months back that went for over $ 23,000.00. Still wish someone could find out where the hell he gets these books. doh!

DRX

I couldn't tell if the top got trimmed or not,and how is trimming a book restoration? (shrug)

Let's say you have an otherwise nice Silver Age book (about a 9.2) but it has some overhang on the cover that got bent enough in it's life that it's cracked, breaks colour, and possibly has a chip out at the corner. That issue would NOT grade at 9.2. Now, take a razor blade (or whatever) and cut that out, making the top look nice and neat again. Now, the book looks like a GREAT 9.4 - but it's not. And anyone selling it that way without disclosure would be pummeled on this website mercilessly (see: Robojo33.)

Cutting a comic book, for any reason, is NOT looked upon highly by anyone but scammers trying to sell a book as better than it originally was.

-slym

And speaking Robo, anyone seen how many auctions hes running lately? Hes got over 90 this week and now it looks like hes selling coins. Look at the A.S.M. # 2 hes got listed at 9.6. Its up to $ 19,995.00. I thought he had another one months back that went for over $ 23,000.00. Still wish someone could find out where the hell he gets these books. doh!

DRX

Less than an hour to go on that puppy...better hurry! :banana:

God I love Ebay! Whenever I'm feeling a little off, I can always count on some person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed on ebay to post something like this to cheer me up!!! :roflmao:

Not sure where this level of amusement comes from? (shrug)

The book is not restored...trimming is not considered restoration (and it's not, actually, as nothing is actually being restored), it's damage, so he's telling no lies here.

His asking price is out of whack, but if we highlighted every overpriced item on eBay, we'd being having 2,000 new threads started every day. doh!

-slym

DRX

That's not a secret...he buys them on eBay from people like me. It's just that I graded them at 8.0s and he, his Exacto knife and Photoshop package turned them into 9.4s. :eek:

F.T. with the amount of books hes been moving the last three weeks ( all of his auctions have been over 80 items ), he'd have to be buying and butchering non-stop around the clock. A 9.6 Spiderman #2 listed tonight. Who in there right mind would sell that book raw if it was totally unrestored. How many times guide would that go in a slab coming back 9.6, which we know it wouldnt. doh!

DRX

F.T. with the amount of books hes been moving the last three weeks ( all of his auctions have been over 80 items ), he'd have to be buying and butchering non-stop around the clock. A 9.6 Spiderman #2 listed tonight. Who in there right mind would sell that book raw if it was totally unrestored. How many times guide would that go in a slab coming back 9.6, which we know it wouldnt. doh!

DRX

The ASM #2 will either be a restored 9.2-9.4, or an unrestored, Photoshoped 8.5-9.0. (thumbs u

DRX

The ASM #2 will either be a restored 9.2-9.4, or an unrestored, Photoshoped 8.5-9.0. (thumbs u

I think the latter to be more the case. (thumbs u

Once the books sell, see who demands a refund and give them one. Most won't for whatever the reason.

:(

The book is not restored...trimming is not considered restoration (and it's not, actually, as nothing is actually being restored), it's damage, so he's telling no lies here.

True, but as you Brits say, redundant. The books trimmed, and deserves a greater stigma than a purple or a green label . . . aye, there's the rub. :sumo:

God I love Ebay! Whenever I'm feeling a little off, I can always count on some person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed on ebay to post something like this to cheer me up!!! :roflmao:

Not sure where this level of amusement comes from? (shrug)

His asking price is out of whack, but if we highlighted every overpriced item on eBay, we'd being having 2,000 new threads started every day. doh!

I'm easily amused and I disagree, trimming IS restoration. The book has been altered from it's original state to artificially inflate the grade. Restoration.

The fact of the matter is that CGC does not consider trimming to be restoration. Notice that on the label there is no designation of Slight Amateur and the word "Trimmed" does not appear where the work is normally listed on a restored book, but rather off to the side. The only reason they put it in a purple label is as a punishment. Thus they are implying that the purple label is a negative thing and by association any restoration should be viewed as a negative thing.

CGC is not supposed to be make moral judgements on the type of work that is done to books. They are supposed to impartially describe the condition of the book so that buyers can form their own opinions. By using the purple label as a punitive measure CGC is basically agreeing with those who say that the purple label creates an unfair stigma on restored books. They are clearly using it themselves to intentially stigmatize a certain type of book.

The green Qualified label was created for the purpose of describing books that otherwise appear to be high grade, but have a significant flaw that is not readily apparent to the eye in a slab, such as a clipped coupon, missing page or replaced staples. Trimming is exactly the type of flaw for which the qualified grade was created.

rantrant

The fact of the matter is that CGC does not consider trimming to be restoration. Notice that on the label there is no designation of Slight Amateur and the word "Trimmed" does not appear where the work is normally listed on a restored book, but rather off to the side. The only reason they put it in a purple label is as a punishment. Thus they are implying that the purple label is a negative thing and by association any restoration should be viewed as a negative thing.

CGC is not supposed to be make moral judgements on the type of work that is done to books. They are supposed to impartially describe the condition of the book so that buyers can form their own opinions. By using the purple label as a punitive measure CGC is basically agreeing with those who say that the purple label creates an unfair stigma on restored books. They are clearly using it themselves to intentially stigmatize a certain type of book.

The green Qualified label was created for the purpose of describing books that otherwise appear to be high grade, but have a significant flaw that is not readily apparent to the eye in a slab, such as a clipped coupon, missing page or replaced staples. Trimming is exactly the type of flaw for which the qualified grade was created.

rantrant

hm

rantrant

Good points. However, I don't always agree with CGC, and I'm not in the know as to what they intended to do with putting this book in the PLOD. If their intention WASN'T to signify restoration, then I disagree. To me, it's all boils down to intent, for a clipped coupon, obviously the intent wasn't to make the book appear better. So, Green label. The intent of trimming is to make the book appear better than it is, so that's restoration. Trimming SHOULD be stigmatized as much as possible, as it's absolutely the worst form of restoration in my opinion.

rantrant

Good points. However, I don't always agree with CGC, and I'm not in the know as to what they intended to do with putting this book in the PLOD. If their intention WASN'T to signify restoration, then I disagree. To me, it's all boils down to intent, for a clipped coupon, obviously the intent wasn't to make the book appear better. So, Green label. The intent of trimming is to make the book appear better than it is, so that's restoration. Trimming SHOULD be stigmatized as much as possible, as it's absolutely the worst form of restoration in my opinion.

I don't entirely disagree with you. In fact years ago trimming was considered an acceptable restorative technique. But, I'm talking about CGC policies and their internal inconsistencies. (thumbs u

The fact of the matter is that CGC does not consider trimming to be restoration. Notice that on the label there is no designation of Slight Amateur and the word "Trimmed" does not appear where the work is normally listed on a restored book, but rather off to the side.

Um, it's actually in two places; off to the side and where the list of restoration usually goes. You just notice the one off to the side more because COVER TRIMMED is in bold capitals.

it's in a purple label because that's the only option.

green labels are for otherwise HG books that have a single, giant flaw that would otherwise bring the grade down, like a popped staple or an autographed cover.

trimming won't fit the GLOD criteria, because it's an artificial flaw, put there to improve the appearance of the book.

ugh. i hate the :censored: green label. hate it. hate it. hate it.

it seems to me that colour touch could ostensibly also fall into the "non-conservative" restoration techniques, and should be treated the same as trimming. it's not there to ensure no further damage happens to the book, it's stuff added later to improve the appearance of the book without regard to structural integrity, unlike, say, tear seals

The fact of the matter is that CGC does not consider trimming to be restoration. Notice that on the label there is no designation of Slight Amateur and the word "Trimmed" does not appear where the work is normally listed on a restored book, but rather off to the side.

Um, it's actually in two places; off to the side and where the list of restoration usually goes. You just notice the one off to the side more because COVER TRIMMED is in bold capitals.

You're right. I stand corrected. :boo:

Still, it is given a apparent grade with no designation of Amateur or Professional or Slight, Moderate, or Extensive. And if I'm not mistaken Steve B. has posted here in the past that CGC does not consider trimming to be restoration. I still stand by my basic premise, which is that for CGC to be consistent it should give trimmed books a qualified grade rather than restored.

As for intent to improve appearance, CGC gives qualified grades to books with staples replaced or clean, techniques which are clearly done for restorative or conservation purposes.

You're right. I stand corrected. :boo:

Still, it is given a apparent grade with no designation of Amateur or Professional or Slight, Moderate, or Extensive. And if I'm not mistaken Steve B. has posted here in the past that CGC does not consider trimming to be restoration. I still stand by my basic premise, which is that for CGC to be consistent it should give trimmed books a qualified grade rather than restored.

As for intent to improve appearance, CGC gives qualified grades to books with staples replaced or clean, techniques which are clearly done for restorative or conservation purposes.

hm