• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prepare for the next comic market crash

70 posts in this topic

Well it looks like Spider-clone is coming back as well so all the signs of doom are present...

all we need now is an upstart comic company that doesn't meet it's own deadlines and has generally artists that draw only T&A and weak characters.

(thumbs u These new covers are "a tribute to the fans". :banana:

Not just "fans", but "fans who've been demanding this kind of variant". Who are these people? And what about the fans that have been demanding quality stories at a reasonable price? Un-freakin-believeable!

Well it looks like Spider-clone is coming back as well so all the signs of doom are present...

all we need now is an upstart comic company that doesn't meet it's own deadlines and has generally artists that draw only T&A and weak characters.

Are you talking about Aspen or Zenoscope? hm

The horror, the HORROR!

(thumbs u These new covers are "a tribute to the fans". :banana:

Not just "fans", but "fans who've been demanding this kind of variant". Who are these people? And what about the fans that have been demanding quality stories at a reasonable price? Un-freakin-believeable!

Well said. :applause:

Are you talking about Aspen or Zenoscope? hm

6 of one, half dozen of the other...

every market needs an adjustment once in awhile

I'm more interested in years to come what will happen with prices

will the kids of today be into collecting once they start getting older and getting jobs

I think a lot of book prices will continue to fall such as GA westerns - Gene Autry, Red Ryder, Tom Mix etc

I'm 29 and most people my age have no clue who these cowboy heroes are and don't care. The next generation cares even less. :cry: shame really

MODERNS crashed. Bad companies were shaken out. Speculators were bounced.

Sign me up.

Actually, if you're looking for a way of picking up books cheaply...across all ages and grades...this is the best way forward in the short term. As it did in the 90s, there's no reason to suppose that if a crash in moderns came again, it wouldn't filter across the whole industry.

The problem is, at some point there has to be a pick-me-up, a way of building the industry up again. If that doesn't appear, just where are you going to actually buy these wonderful bargains?

LCS? Gone.

Dealers? Gone.

Auction houses? Selling old Nintendo games.

Double-edged sword, this one, but rather like the global economy, a correction is due and necessary.

It just might not end up how we like it. :eek:

You're absolutely right on that. They're trying to prop up sales using smoke and mirrors without

a) drawing in new readers (HELLO NEWSSTANDS)

b) increasing quality

c) reducing prices

The correction is just being delayed.

R.

Newsstands and most retailers have no interest in selling comics. The low, to them, cover price, small population of collectors and readers and the roughly 8 1/2 by 11 inch size of a comic makes selling comics a tough business.

Increasing quality sounds great but that would increase the cover price of comics.

Reducing prices will reduce the quality or size/thickness of a comic.

Print products including newspapers, magazines and comic books are dying. It's a fact of life and great stories, great art, high quality, low prices, hologram covers or any other idea won't matter a hoot.

The fact that we are on-line talking and buying and selling comics illustrates the challenges that print industry is facing. Sad to say they are losing.

I could care less if a crash takes place. I will keep collecting anyways.

Agreed. Most of us love the hobby and are in for the long haul. If the price of books drop I will buy more. It's a great hobby that I've been in for 30 years and hope to continue for at least another 30 years.

I could care less if a crash takes place. I will keep collecting anyways.

Agreed. Most of us love the hobby and are in for the long haul. If the price of books drop I will buy more. It's a great hobby that I've been in for 30 years and hope to continue for at least another 30 years.

I just passed my 100th slab of Tecs this week. Only 697 more slabs to go. How many times do you think I will read a thread like this by the time it is completed?

As someone pointed out print products as a whole are dying - look at the newspaper industry. As a business model, it's just about dried up, with the notable exception of community newspapers in small towns and counties across the U.S.

The comic industry is not immune. It's really sad, because comics were such a big part of my life growing up.