• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prepare for the next comic market crash

70 posts in this topic

As someone pointed out print products as a whole are dying - look at the newspaper industry. As a business model, it's just about dried up, with the notable exception of community newspapers in small towns and counties across the U.S.

The comic industry is not immune. It's really sad, because comics were such a big part of my life growing up.

I can vouch for this, the company I work for is the second largest printer of Science and Medical journals in North America and journals are steadily going digital. Print runs are getting smaller and smaller and smaller.

As someone pointed out print products as a whole are dying - look at the newspaper industry. As a business model, it's just about dried up, with the notable exception of community newspapers in small towns and counties across the U.S.

The comic industry is not immune. It's really sad, because comics were such a big part of my life growing up.

Many of these print institutions are having problems because they listed their material for free online. You do that & people will read their news for free on the web & sales of print will decline. Pretty simple to figure. (shrug)

Many of these print institutions are having problems because they listed their material for free online. You do that & people will read their news for free on the web & sales of print will decline. Pretty simple to figure. (shrug)

Good point. Now, it's really hard for these entities to go back and start charging for content....almost like yelling fire when the house is already burned to a crisp.

I can vouch for this, the company I work for is the second largest printer of Science and Medical journals in North America and journals are steadily going digital. Print runs are getting smaller and smaller and smaller.

I'm still waiting for the day there are no more text-books. Schools should assign each student (from k-5 all the way up to college-levels) a basic laptop computer, or maybe a Kindle-type reader, for schools to download all the text each student will need for each semester, thereby cutting out the losing of books (public schools will require a contract and possibly a refundable deposit) and also cut down on what the college student needs to buy every year. Programs can be time-based to "lock up" so the programs cannot be copied and/or re-used from semester to semester.

I know this could hurt an industry such as yours, but if it's already going that way...

:sorry:

-slym

Print institutions listed their material for free online because if they didn't someone else would. The internet has dramatically changed information sharing and the old physical print model is dying.

I've delivered mail for Canada Post for 30 years. Government pension cheques are univerally direct deposit now. Magazine volumes are down about 75%. First class volumes down more than 50%. Parcel volumes are much higher thanks to Ebay and on-line shopping. Even flyer delivery which has become our bread and butter has started to stagnate and I suspect start drying up.

It is a different world out there and the future of newspapers, comic books, Postal Services and other business models based on print media is grim. I'm hoping that comics will continue to sell in the TPB form.