• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How rare is Alan Moore's run of Swamp Thing in ultra high grade???

51 posts in this topic

i had a #27 (demon cross-over) in 9.8 and after trying to sell it at various pricepoints, I eventually got $35 for it.

so, if you're laying out $15 (?) a slab, I guess that works out, but maybe the later Moore books aren't going to fetch that much.

Will do! (thumbs u

Especially with 37, if you have any, there is a common defect on the top staple where an indent is left into the spine. It took me MANY purchases to find two without that indent from quite a few sellers. With that bright yellow cover it stands out, so a pure copy is great to have.

Unfortunatly I have indeed come across that on 2 of the 3's I had, (sold the 9.6 looking copy to my sis! :grin: ) And traded the other two.

i had a #27 (demon cross-over) in 9.8 and after trying to sell it at various pricepoints, I eventually got $35 for it.

so, if you're laying out $15 (?) a slab, I guess that works out, but maybe the later Moore books aren't going to fetch that much.

Maybe, but to a completest they would want every issue in the best possible grade I would think.

Maybe, but to a completest they would want every issue in the best possible grade I would think.

The problem (and I'm not trying to be negative here or in any way dissuade you from slabbing whatever books you want slabbed) is that, imho, the market for CGC 9.8'ed copies of Swamp Thing, vol. 2 is probably pretty similar to the market for CGC 9.8'ed copies of Sandman, Preacher, Hellblazer, or any other larger Vertigo title.

Which is to say that there are a couple of guys who are trying to complete large registry sets on the cheap (who already own the keys & are now trying to find all the in-between issues but aren't willing to pay much for them), and a bunch of people who are only interested in the keys.

If you have 9.8 copies of keys (from the list you put out, I'd say that 37 and perhaps 34 fall under that heading), you'll get a decent price because there's a larger pool of people who are interested in them - but, on the other hand, there will also be more slabbed copies coming to market from modern resellers like Topnotch and Showcase NE, so prices are a bit volatile.

If you have 9.8 copies of non-keys, you might get lucky and have two people duking it out for your book, but it's much much more likely that you'll end up selling them for $30-40 a pop. Which, for me personally, borders on the "it's really not worth it to slab these"-territory.

I don't collect slabbed SW myself, but this is exactly how it is with the other Vertigo titles that I do collect - Sandman's a great case in point; I'm about 8-9 books away from having a full 1-75 set, and I can guarantee you that for more than half of the books I own (including a bunch that are 1-of-1 CGC 9.8's), I did not pay more than $35-40 a book or so ... I paid more for the keys, of course, was also involved in a couple of duke-outs along the way, and slabbed a good stack myself, but in general this has not been a terribly expensive set to put together - it has just taken a while.

I steer clear, but then again it's tough to sell these raw for anything more than a few bucks each. I just don't think it is worth it, is all. Quite a bit of hassle and investment for not much return.

I absolutely love Moore's Swamp Thing - but also the Rick Veitch and later Mark Millar issues too. I bought the entire series no.1 to no.171 off ebay last year for I think about £70. Reading the whole lot took ages but well worth it.

My favourite issue is the Annual no.2 - such a wonderful story and art.

In the run I bought was this little gem, a double-cover no.30... :cloud9:

Xmas08081.jpg

I steer clear, but then again it's tough to sell these raw for anything more than a few bucks each. I just don't think it is worth it, is all. Quite a bit of hassle and investment for not much return.
Then the answer is TO SLAB!

I had this run in my collection and I slabbed about 10 of them, all 9.6/9.8's.

For details you can see my registry. I love the covers and I don't care about the resale value. The HOS 92 cover swipe (issue 33) is awesome in a 9.8 slab !!!

My vote = slab them and keep them.

I absolutely love Moore's Swamp Thing - but also the Rick Veitch and later Mark Millar issues too. I bought the entire series no.1 to no.171 off ebay last year for I think about £70. Reading the whole lot took ages but well worth it.

My favourite issue is the Annual no.2 - such a wonderful story and art.

In the run I bought was this little gem, a double-cover no.30... :cloud9:

Xmas08081.jpg

:applause:

Wonder what it would grade at? If it could get a 9.8 (internal) it would be well worth a slab I should think.

For details you can see my registry. I love the covers and I don't care about the resale value. The HOS 92 cover swipe (issue 33) is awesome in a 9.8 slab !!!

Wish I could, but I realy want a compleate run of MIRACLEMAN in 9.8. :cloud9::headbang: Oh well my loss your gain! I am preparing to send my books either this week or next week, really have a good feeling these coming back 9.6 or 9.8.

really have a good feeling these coming back 9.6 or 9.8.

I've had those "9.8 good feelings" before. Then the results arrived. :cry:

Seriously, good luck. It will be interesting after all this discussion to see what comes back.

Wish I could, but I realy want a compleate run of MIRACLEMAN in 9.8. :cloud9::headbang: Oh well my loss your gain! I am preparing to send my books either this week or next week, really have a good feeling these coming back 9.6 or 9.8.

Are you sending in enough books you could pre-screen for 9.8 and up?

Good luck with the Miracleman. I'm still 2 books away and over £3,000 poorer. However, 9.8 prices have plumented as there's so many 9.8s around now.... unless you want no.23 or no.24!

Good luck with the Miracleman. I'm still 2 books away and over £3,000 poorer. However, 9.8 prices have plumented as there's so many 9.8s around now.... unless you want no.23 or no.24!

I know! :o A year ago MM#15 in 9.8 would sell for on average $500 bucks! now it sells for about $260-350! and the other issue's I'm getting at prices I can now afford! :headbang:

Here's a couple for your viewing pleasure.....
#33 one of my top ten favorite covers.

What do they now have on the label for #25 since this is the 1st cameo appearance of Constantine?

CGC wouldn't list this for some reason, even when Alan Moore admitted in an interview a few years back one of the characters at the party was John Constantine.

82597.jpg.908aeeb5b6f788e9e07c0dc94297e1b9.jpg

#24, in CGC 9.8, you say....?

hm

I'm so giddy about my latest sub. :)