• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are any of these dealers still in business?

20 posts in this topic

A most interesting ad page from a 1977 Peter Parker Marvel comic:

356705-Adpage77.jpg

I wonder if any of these people are still selling back issues. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I clearly remember ordering some from most of them as a 12 year old.

$5.00 could get you a lot old comics from the earlier 70s and late 60s back in 77.

Reading these old books brings back memories... cloud9.gif

356705-Adpage77.jpg.7cc3b157f32beb1485d6ecb7aad2635a.jpg

That was old school! thumbsup2.gif

Eight different dealers all jammed into one ad page with a bunch of other stuff!

They weren't rich enough then to afford full page ads! 27_laughing.gif

I bought from Howard ("Tape is not considered a defect") Rogofsky way back in the day. My VF GL #76 was acquired from Howard, probably around 1979.

Still uncovering some books originally bagged away in Robert Bell's pre-printed poly bags! shocked.gif

Other mail order names I remember--

-Camelot out of Texas

-Sparkle City (WTF was up with Hans the Herder, anyway?)

-BEA: bought everything at 25% OS; sold everything at 50% OS. (Wonder why that business model didn't last? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifsmirk.gif)

Anybody know whatever happened to all those guys? I seem to remember previous threads alluding to Sparkle City morphing into some current-day outfit?

I seem to remember previous threads alluding to Sparkle City morphing into some current-day outfit?

Sparkle City = Joe V.?

I seem to remember previous threads alluding to Sparkle City morphing into some current-day outfit?

Sparkle City = Joe V.?

Just did a forum search and according to odin88, Sparkle City was indeed Joe Verenault + a mysterious partner involved with Geppi in some sort of a falling-out. confused.gif (If ya tell us odin88 do ya hafta kill us?)

Verenault's name has also come up recently in Ian Levine's threads... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've not come across Verenault post-Sparkle City. Time for a Google search!

Sparkle City = Joe V.?

Just did a forum search and according to odin88, Sparkle City was indeed Joe Verenault + a mysterious partner involved with Geppi in some sort of a falling-out. confused.gif (If ya tell us odin88 do ya hafta kill us?)

Verenault's name has also come up recently in Ian Levine's threads... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've not come across Verenault post-Sparkle City. Time for a Google search!

His partner was Jay Marbruck! Joe V. is back in the convention circuit. He's been at all of the last 3 SD conventions.

American Comic Book Company (Terry Stroud) is still in business, and his parter David Alexander is on his own in Florida now and recently had an Action #1 on eBay.

Richard Alf was bought out by MIle High, and I believe Clint's Comics was also.

Rogofsky still deals though mainly in TV Guides now.

Robert Bell is also in Florida and part-time dealing as of a few years ago

(I remember at one of the first shows I went to, he had a stack of Daredevil #1's on the table about 35-40 tall in a pick which-ever one you want thing for $50 ea. - along with Iron Man #1s, Cap #100s, Surfer #1s, and other cool books - and old timers at that time told me that he used to do the same thing for Spidey #1, FF #1 and Fantasy #15).

*Select* Sparkle City assets (customer list and some inventory) were purchased by Geppi, and former Sparkle City partner Jay Maybrook was to stay working with Geppi, but they had a falling out. Joe Verenault remains on good terms with Geppi and is still dealing.

Joe V. is back out on the circuit but does anyone else notice that his stock and his frequency of appearance isn't the same as it used to be.

I remember going to a Big Apple back in 98 or so and he had some truly awesome Marvels in HG... but I've looked through his books recently, and he doesn't seem to have a whole lot in the line of HG anymore.

Joe V. is one of the nicest dealers in the hobby, and I always try to look through his stuff... but doesn't seem to set up quite as much as he used to. I also don't think he has a website, and I don't know if he sells on ebay... anyone else have any info on Joe V?

Is that Discount Comics any relation to... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

NO, IT'S NOT. cool.gif

laugh.gifhi.gif

How about the "Discount Comics" that advertised in the Overstreet Comic Book Monthly around 1994?

BOX 1123 Dept E

El Cajon, Ca 92022

I ordered from them too.