• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC board members influence on the comic market

How much do CGC board members influence the Comic Market?  

408 members have voted

1. 1. How much do CGC board members influence the Comic Market?

29 posts in this topic

Does anyone think the board can influence the market enough to affect the price of any particular book?

A hoarder could, and not in a good way. Say a hoarder has 1,000 comic books of the same title and issue number. Something like Captain America #100. Say the hoarder one day says forget it, and sells all 1,000 comic books of Captain America with 1,000 different listings on Ebay at the exact same time. Most likely this comic is going to take a awhile for the price of this comic to go back to the price it was originally at. Reason being the demand for people who want this copy has been completely satiated, except for those at the very highest level.

Being a member of the boards and being a hoarder are unrelated, though. Not sure if you are just saying hoarder as a general thing or if you are saying a board member as hoarder?

Overall I think the board is more in tune with the market rather than being market-impacting. Folks here may sometimes tend to think this world is an accurate relfection of the non_Board world when it comes to books. But it really isn't ( not a slam). It is just an environment of such familiarity that it is easy to feel this place IS the word!

The one specific place where the boards can influence the market is through exposure to particularly rare comics. In the golden age section whenever someone posts a scan of some rarely seen cool book it does get added to many want lists.

Books like Rangers 26, Jumbo 31 and the Bill Barnes issue with the A-Bomb centerfold have had demand increases (and subsequent price increases) as a direct result of their exposure on these boards.

The one specific place where the boards can influence the market is through exposure to particularly rare comics. In the golden age section whenever someone posts a scan of some rarely seen cool book it does get added to many want lists.

Books like Rangers 26, Jumbo 31 and the Bill Barnes issue with the A-Bomb centerfold have had demand increases (and subsequent price increases) as a direct result of their exposure on these boards.

And dont forget Jeff single-handedly drove the price of war cover Nedors through the roof! lol

n the golden age section whenever someone posts a scan of some rarely seen cool book it does get added to many want lists.

That is a very interesting circumstance! Serisouly, Richard, about how many want lists does a book usually get added to before there is a perception that a price incerease is in order? (Serious question. I know it may sound like I am wising off but am not - just cannot think how better to phrase it.)

I never did get the Goon, Chew, Rasl, etc, thing. You know that they ain't gonna hold value long, and buying them in slabs ain't for reading. So.........they must be getting purchased for resale or for bragging rights.

Nothing wrong with either reason, but how many have changed hands by those that haven't even read one?

Most I bet.

These hot things come and go. G I Joe 21 might even fall into that category. I ain't sure yet. Final Crisis 6, or any of the latest Death of So and So. There ain't a reason in the world for a modern comic of the Marvel or DC or any large company, to be worth 50 bucks in any grade. It just doesn't make sense.

Walking Dead. You're kidding, right?

n the golden age section whenever someone posts a scan of some rarely seen cool book it does get added to many want lists.

That is a very interesting circumstance! Serisouly, Richard, about how many want lists does a book usually get added to before there is a perception that a price incerease is in order? (Serious question. I know it may sound like I am wising off but am not - just cannot think how better to phrase it.)

Honestly, on a book like Great 3,which is often posted but very rarely offered, it just took a few folks to drive the price up significantly. And look and the ridiculous influence that the Gerber Photo Journal had on Suspense 3. Prior to the publication of Gerber that book was barely a blip on most collector's radar.

In some ways the images posted here are an extension of the Photo Journal.

Honestly, on a book like Great 3,which is often posted but very rarely offered, it just took a few folks to drive the price up significantly. And look and the ridiculous influence that the Gerber Photo Journal had on Suspense 3. Prior to the publication of Gerber that book was barely a blip on most collector's radar.

In some ways the images posted here are an extension of the Photo Journal.

Thanks Richard. That's danged interesting. I have to rethink my take on this.