• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just don't get some dealers....

358 posts in this topic

So I make an offer on a low grade raw SA key. A very decent offer, I might add. The book listed is grossly overpriced. I figure I'll get a counteroffer and work from there. He counteroffers with the listed price... The book is sitting there for almost 2 years with no offers, and when someone finally makes one he doesn't budge... Why are some comic people so afraid of money? Are they so intent on getting THEIR price that reasonable offers go in one ear and out the other?

Someone please explain the Comic Book Guy psychology to me!

Depends on the key.

Two scenarios:

Some dealers believe that it gives their business more professional credibility to have a key book for sale (even if they never sell it).

Other dealers, if they don't have too much invested in the book (i.e., bought a long time ago), will simply wait believing that if a collector wants the book badly enough -- they'll pay.

I don't want to single out any names but when you try and add up a rough number of what some of these dealers have in their inventory [$ wise] its staggering. So even a sale that is for a few thousand bucks might really be just a drop in the bucket for a lot of them.

It also depends on the ease with which a dealer can obtain another copy of the book. If getting another copy is relatively easy, dealers tend to be flexible on price. If another copy won't be readily obtainable, then dealers tend to hold closer to their asking price.

It also depends on how good sales have been, and how much cash flow has been generated. Dealers usually don't want to be cleaned out of their best stock, and don't need to be if they're making enough from slower, steady sales.

I had this last year with a CGC 9.6 book, where the dealer wanted $200, sales at that time were not even close to this, and no matter what I offered he wouldn't accept anything other than his $200 price.

Then, 4 months later I get one of those eBay alerts that a previous item I had bid on sold for - ready? - $70.

I emailed the seller and asked why my offers that were between the $120-$130 range were not good enough, and he replied he got tired of waiting for the price he wanted.

:screwy:

Why are you so cheap? (shrug)

I'm definitely less cheap than they are greedy :)

Well, let's examine that for a moment. You said it was a SA key. SA keys are going for multiples of guide at the moment. Have been for a couple years, I believe. With SA keys being in demand, the dealer probably has more in the book than you think.

You mentioned your offer was a very decent offer. Are we talking the book was listed for $275 and you offered $265? That would be a very decent offer. Offering $225 would not be a very decent offer. Decency is in the eye of the beholder.

It isn't uncommon for someone to counter back at full price when they feel they have been low balled. A little more information such as the book, the list price and the offer price might be helpful in determining who balled whom.

My offer was decent in regards to guide, grade and current market value. Considering it's raw, there's always the risk of restoration and inaccurate grading as well.

:popcorn:

Was up, Digg? :popcorn:

Looking around, not much. You doing alright? :popcorn:

Yep. Just kind'a waiting to see who the dealer was, which book & what the offer was. Other than that, not much else going on. :popcorn:

Yep. Just kind'a waiting to see who the dealer was, which book & what the offer was. Other than that, not much else going on. :popcorn:

Well, at least your questions are consistent. :baiting:

Well, at least your questions are consistently irritating & Inconvenient. :baiting:

Fixed it for you. (thumbs u