• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Mutants (new series)

2 posts in this topic

I just got around to reading # 1 and I liked it.

The artwork was decent, the character personalities were consistent and interesting and the story was as good as you ever normally get in a first issue, when the writer is trying to set up the whole thing. There are a few sub plots being built in such as the younger X Men's hatred of Illyana and distaste for her friends standing up for her, Magma's complicated attraction to Empath and Illyana's offer to cure his blindness.

The one thing that I'm really relieved about is that Sam is being portrayed as a reasonably confident young adult who's been through a lot. It always bugged me when a fresh writer would revert him to a bumbling amateur who couldn't get anything right and it would seem ridiculous by this stage in his life.

All in all, I'm hopeful for the series and will be on board for a while though being a good comic provides no certainty of survival, Captain Britain & MI13 proved that. However Nova is still going which is down to nothing but a good creative team so there may be hope. Fingers crossed on this one.

I've enjoyed the first 2 issues as well.

The characters seem to be in line with how I remember them in the original series but properly more mature and older given that it's been quite a while since then.

Legion was always a fav villain so it's cool to see it starting with him.