• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying and selling comics besides Ebay.

3 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone is using other auction sites like Yahoo or Amazon. I know Wizard lets you buy and sell for 10% commission I believe. Comic price guide site also lets you buy and sell. I was wondering if any of you are using these. I have found the marketplace here excellent and it bypasses all the middleman fees and such.

In the pre/early-ebay days, the internet comic book collecting community lived and died in the rec.arts.comics.marketplace newsgroup. With the popularity of ebay, it pretty much died (most of the posts there now are advertising ebay sales).

I used Yahoo a while ago, the Hughes(?) brothers (I think they were with Manning Auctions at the time?) used to use it so you could pick up some really nice books for below ebay prices, since not many people used it. I think now ebay pretty much rules the roost...

• Yahoo is a complete wasteland full of overgraders and scammers. I attribute this in great part to the fact that it costs nothing to list there, so sellers really don't take care to make sure that they present a credible auction that is likely to actually be bought by someone. On Yahoo, if it don't sell the first time, you can always relist for free and hope next time for another sucker, er, I mean, buyer.
  • Wizard doesn't let you post decent-sized scans. No way I'd ever buy from there any book worth more than a few bucks.
  • I didn't find any weakness with Amazon, but I didn't see any strengths either. If I thought they were better than E-Bay, I might use them, but until they do something to convince me of that, I have no reason to try 'em out.