• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE FANTASTIC FOUR is now in The Registry!

83 posts in this topic

I was more or less talking about the 3 and 10. Both prices seemed high to me, but I'm not an FF collector.

The # 3 is well priced, considering its such a tough book to find in high grade, and from the scan, that particular copy looks very solid.

The # 10 is a bit of a mystery. In my experience, that's one of the easier to locate of the first 10 books in VF/NM or better.

"To be honest, I can't figure out FF # 15. Based on eBay sales in 2003, and the one high grade copy that Bob sold (a 9.4 for $3,500 if memory serves), that book is one of the hottest issues in the entire run. Raw VF copies were bringing well above Guide in several instances on eBay.."

I don't think it's a matter of the 15 being hotter than surrounding issues. I've seen alot more 15s lately in VF or better on websites than the other issues between 11 to 20. All early FFs being hot right now, any available issues, even with the multiplicity on the 15s of late on Ebay and elsewhere, are going to move well at high prices if and when offered.

What I don't like about the registry is that it is useless to collectors such as myself. I collect high grade key books, and books that appeal to me(covers, classic stories, etc...). The only run I have ever intended to complete is ASM, and although I'm almost finished, a lot of them are raw. And I don't intend on spending the $$$ to slab my raw books, unless I'm going to sell, so I can't really use the registry at this point. When I complete my ASM 1-25 run which are all going to be slabbed, I may post them. But that's basically it.

I don't think it's a matter of the 15 being hotter than surrounding issues. I've seen alot more 15s lately in VF or better on websites than the other issues between 11 to 20. All early FFs being hot right now, any available issues, even with the multiplicity on the 15s of late on Ebay and elsewhere, are going to move well at high prices if and when offered.

I would respectfully disagree. In the 14-19 run, all equally priced in the Guide, 14 + 19 generally garner the least interest in high grade, 15 + 16 the most, and 17 + 18 simply don't exist in high grade so there are no real transactions to track. Of course, this is an opinion based mostly on observing eBay traffic over the last year, not the whole market, but 15 & 16 have really seperated themselves from the rest of the pack when they are put up for auction. One would assume the CGC census has something to do with it, but that doesn't explain why raw copies of # 15 were selling consistently for nutso money throughout the spring and summer.

I can understand the Doom cover garnering attention, but # 15? It mystifies me. 893frustrated.gif

i see cap tripps has the fantastic four#55 cgc 9.9 boston. i always wondered who had that book and what a book it must be.mine is only a cgc 9.0 and looks very nice but i can only imagine how nice the 9.9 looks.congrats on a beautiful book 893applaud-thumb.gif

The funny thing is about books of that caliber is that you or I or almost anyone else could not tell the difference between it and a true nm or 9.6 book - I bet. Of course I don't have a 9.9 book but I have a lot in the 9.2 to 9.6 raNGE And a few 9.8s and most of the time they are indistinguishable. Maybe the differences are more notable outside the slab but At times I have upgraded and been disappointed as the so-called upgrade looks worse or the same but cost me a lot more. I have been saying for a long time that the greatest marketing gimmick CGC came up with were the very fine lines between 9.2s on up and based on sales prices for those books, looks like I was right. You often have miniscule differences in quality in those grades with exponential price increases.

good point. And it makes a lot of sense. And if you follow that logic, eventually we come to a time when the only people who will argue that the multiples we now see are valid will be the sellers....buyers will be far less willing to shell out multiples for imperceptable improvements in grade just cause the label says so.

Well I like nice books but it gets to a point with these microscopic differences where it is hard to tell what you are paying for though. But if you have the money - I say have at it! What usually happens when someone upgrades to a 9.6 or 9.8, is that it makes a 9.4 or 9.2 available for the market.

Not having the unlimited amount of resources neccessary to collect high grade FFs often forces me to look for really sharp 9.2s, and forget altogether about owning early 9.4s. Personally, I don't mind being "forced" into this choice at all, since I own several 9.2s that are just as nice, or in fact nicer, then many 9.4s I have owned or seen.

When Bob put his collection up for sale, I had lots of nice books available to me, but decided to instead purchase really sharp 9.2s with lower census numbers and leave the 9.4s for the Big boys. My run from 18-42 may be made up of mostly 9.0s and 9.2s, but it never would be this far along if I held out for 9.4s (or better) only.

Looks like someone also snagged the FF # 3 on Comiclink for $3,600. Good move...cause its a tough book.

Well, you kind of have to remember who's hosting the registry and these boards, right? You might say they have a vested interest in people getting their books slabbed...

No joke, and I was looking through the X-Men listings, and seeing where I'd rate right now (6th) and where I'd get to if I started subbing my raw books like a madman (3rd, but definitely no higher), and I started to see the insidious nature of the Registry. 893whatthe.gif

So I promptly shut down my browser and turned off the PC.

Plus, there's no marks for having the X-Men 30 or 35-cent variants, which I think is a TOTAL JOKE. makepoint.gif

Where'd you find that answer? I couldn't find him say anything regarding it other than that he bought a CGC 9.2 ASM 1 and resubmitted it for a higher grade.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Brian

I think that he wrote it in the Ghost Town has been dethroned thread that he has been buying HG books since the early 90s and that a lot of the nice books have been obtained through cash/trade deals.

Guess he must've been buying from the right people. Amazing that he got all those nice books raw and they were actually accurately graded!

Brian

Well, judging by what he has said, he got into the market and muscled it with huge amounts of $$$$$$. I think even today, if anyone was able or willing to throw 7 figures at the right people for Silver Age Marvels, you'd be surprised at what they could turn up.