• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE FANTASTIC FOUR is now in The Registry!

83 posts in this topic

I feel sorry for you guys. frown.gif

I don't know if this had any direct correlation but as soon as the Avengers went into the registry. Those books seemed to catch fire. I can't seem to buy any of them 1-20 for what they were going for in the Summer ;(

Brian

Do you have a free or paid account with Collectors Society? If not, you should start here. If you have an account what you need to do is log in. Select Add/Manage sets from the "Comics" drop down menu. In the new screen that opens up, change the letter grouping from A-C to D-I, then click Add set to Registry. You then select FF. Then you name whatever you want such as "FlyingDonut Does FF", then you give it a description if you like. Description being like what you're collecting or what the set is supposed to be. Then you click save. You then open up the set, and start plugging in serial #'s off your slabbed books. The slabbed serial # has to correspond with the issue. So be sure to put the correct serial # in the correct issue slot.

Brian

Werner, congrats on such the extensive and pretty FF collection!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yeah, and it would be even better if he got credit for any FF's above 110.

Whassupwitdat? confused-smiley-013.gif

Just read the Registry notation, and I guess this is where the scores are really gonna change!

I'm not posting mine because it would give other collectors a roadmap to what I'm likely to bid on in public auctions. I originally wasn't going to post my Spideys, but since the supply is so much greater on those, I figured it didn't matter as much.

The FF collecting community is a smaller one...and if anyone wants to share their collection with me, I'm more than willing to share mine with them! I've done this already with several other collectors via e-mail; I've actually already got a web site that lists my whole collections along with some scans. I also regularly post scans of books I own which gives people a sketchy idea of some of the items I own. But I don't like the idea of me listing my books and then having somebody who wants to compete with me on auctions NOT listing theirs. If I'm going to share, I want it to be reciprocal. Maybe if I stop actively buying books at some point, I'd post, but not before then unless someone can elucidate upon the flaws in my logic here.

James -

I'm not so sure avoiding the Registry is a way of avoiding competition for your missing issues. By putting up your books in a registry, you might get people to discover what you don't have and actually bring "missing" books to your attention. I have a couple high grade copies of an issue that Werner_Von_Doom is missing, and I will probably ask him if he's interested because (a) I don't need two copies, really, (even though it's my favorite cover), and (b) it would be fun to help a forum member complete a run!

That said, you and I and Doom (and JiveTurkey and many, many others) are certainly in fraternal competition for high-end FF's. But it won't make any difference to me personally whether I know an issue on Ebay, for example, is one that you need. I'll still bid my price and hope it sticks. If you beat it, more power to you. I'll sit and gnash my teeth in jealous rage...which reminds me, can I have my FF #10 back? grin.gif (And I certainly woudn't bid on books just to make it harder for you to get! That's just mean-spirited. But maybe I'm being naive? confused.gif)

Another possible downside to the registry is that you may get people pestering you to sell your books. This could get annoying. But the upside is that someone may actually have a line on a book that you're missing. Just a thought, anyway -

Dan

James -

I'm not so sure avoiding the Registry is a way of avoiding competition for your missing issues. By putting up your books in a registry, you might get people to discover what you don't have and actually bring "missing" books to your attention. I have a couple high grade copies of an issue that Werner_Von_Doom is missing, and I will probably ask him if he's interested because (a) I don't need two copies, really, (even though it's my favorite cover), and (b) it would be fun to help a forum member complete a run!

That said, you and I and Doom (and JiveTurkey and many, many others) are certainly in fraternal competition for high-end FF's. But it won't make any difference to me personally whether I know an issue on Ebay, for example, is one that you need. I'll still bid my price and hope it sticks. If you beat it, more power to you. I'll sit and gnash my teeth in jealous rage...which reminds me, can I have my FF #10 back? grin.gif (And I certainly woudn't bid on books just to make it harder for you to get! That's just mean-spirited. But maybe I'm being naive? confused.gif)

Another possible downside to the registry is that you may get people pestering you to sell your books. This could get annoying. But the upside is that someone may actually have a line on a book that you're missing. Just a thought, anyway -

Dan

It is interesting to see that nobody on the registry has the 9.8s that I'm looking for (140-175), so I can still look!

I'm going to avoid putting my books on the registry simply because my existing set of books is pretty modest. Perhaps if I ever completed a mini-run within the title, I would consider it, but for now I'm going to grow my collection slowly, focusing on the earliest issues.

And James, I think your logic is pretty sound. I'll happily share info on my run with fellow collectors, but I don't want anyone and everyone to know what I have.

FF,

I'm not too worried about posting in the registry. I don't buy every available book that comes around - sometimes I have the disposable cash and sometimes I don't. That fact alone cancels out anyone trying to jack up the price. Also, I pay what I think the book is worth, without worrying about what other collectors are missing.

So far, I've only seen positives. After one day, I've had 3 friendly offers for books that I'm missing.

Thanks guys,

Mike

An FF 3 8.5, FF 10 9.2, and FF 15 9.2 just showed up on Comiclink. Prices seem fairly high, though.

Apparently, someone else didn't think so. Two are already marked as "Sale Pending".

To be honest, I can't figure out FF # 15. Based on eBay sales in 2003, and the one high grade copy that Bob sold (a 9.4 for $3,500 if memory serves), that book is one of the hottest issues in the entire run. Raw VF copies were bringing well above Guide in several instances on eBay..I remember because I started at least two threads commenting on the insane prices. I sold my own CGC 8.5 for near $500 earlier in the year.

Who knew the Mad Thinker was such an appealing villain?!? confused-smiley-013.gif