• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic related horror stories.

47 posts in this topic

I was reflecting today that I have had really good luck so far with purchases and sales. I've had to relist some stuff due to nonpayments, and I have gotten stuck with my fair share of overgraded garbage off eBay, but the good has FAR outweighed the bad. I am just curious if other people have ever been really hosed by someone. So far I have avoided the big burn, but I know some people on here have some hair-raising tales...especially about well known scammers in the hobby. I'd love to hear some stories about deals gone wrong, as they are often very educational.

Would you like to hear about the 2 NM- Avengers #1s I got from comic-keys again?

How about the Cap 117 I sent in years ago, during one of CGC's stricter periods, that got an 8.5 for a bunch of NCBs that I now know can be pressed out? I got $35 for it at auction, and it could probably get a 9.6 and fetch some stupid money today with some tender-loving squeezing and with Josh Nathanson at the healm.

Or how about the run of X-Men 51-60 that I bought raw for guide? All looked like solid 9.2/9.4s, and they were; except that 7 of them came back with minor professional color touch.

I'm not lucky. I'm smart and incredibly sexy, but not lucky.

Or the $1400 bucks some guy just stole from me.

Or the ex that broke my windshield, passenger side window, and keyed up my doors. :(

Or the ex that broke my windshield, passenger side window, and keyed up my doors. :(

...T-boned my car. Twice. On purpose. New Years Eve.

:(

...T-boned my car. Twice. On purpose. New Years Eve.

:(

Man...are women loony in Toronto, or what? It's no wonder our car insurance rates are outrageous

How about shipping a stack of books you bought to CGC. All identical books. All perfect.

They get graded and come back 9.0/9.2. Then you realize they were damaged somewhere along the way (shipping?).

Then you send in your next identical batch that does not get damaged and they get 9.6, 9.8, 9.8, 9.9, 9.9.

doh!

Would you like to hear about the 2 NM- Avengers #1s I got from comic-keys again?

Never heard the story. Entertain us with your misery!

Here's the short version:

Back in 2002, before I was a member here and before I had ever heard of Danny D, I bought a NM- Avengers #1 from his Comic-Keys ID on Ebay for 4K. At the time, I knew three things:

1) His feedback was perfect.

2) I knew someone who bought a "NM" book from him that came back as a blue-label 9.6.

3) Avengers 1 wasn't anywhere near where it is today, and slabbed 9.0s were going for around 5-6K, so winning a 9.0-9.2 raw copy for 4K didn't seem unlikely or too good to be true.

I paid him. To make a long story short, it took about a month and a half to get the book, and I had to pay about $500 in customs fees. I sent it to CGC right away, and it came back in a purple holder due to color touch, and a trimmed edge. I email him and demand a refund. He insists that he has no idea how the book could have possibly come back restored, then he tells me that he has another copy in slightly better condition that he purchased from the OO, and that he would be willing to send me that copy instead. He sent me scans, it looked nicer, and I agreed. My thought process was that he knew I'd be sending it to CGC, and he knew that I was already pretty irate, so I figured that he'd have to be pretty stupid to send me another restored copy.

Sent the second one in, and it game back with glue and C.T. At this point, 3 months had passed, and there was no way to get a Paypal refund, nor was there any way for me to leave him negative feedback, and I realized that all the stalling was intentional, in order to protect his feedback rating. I emailed him demanding a refund, and told him that I was ready to drive across the border to get it, which was true. He sent me the refund.

All in all, I lost about $800 total and spent almost 4 months dealing with him.

I found this place while I was looking for info on him.

Also, every time I look at an Avengers #1 now, I'm reminded of that time. It used to be one of the few non-ASM books I really had to have, but after this incident, I never looked for another.

Seems like I had some recent issues on ebay. There were a couple of low-dollar lower grade golden age, priced with a decent BIN price, but they had un-disclosed restoration. One had a no-return policy on top of a no restoration statement. I now find I don't check ebay for books nearly as often as I once did. Oh well, ebay's going to hell in a hand bag anyway, so pfffffftttttttttttt.

Also, every time I look at an Avengers #1 now, I'm reminded of that time. It used to be one of the few non-ASM books I really had to have, but after this incident, I never looked for another.

I am not shocked it soured you on that particular issue. If that had happened to me early in my collecting career it would have soured me on the entire hobby.

Here is my own personal story. I still shudder to think of how sleazy someone has to be to take advantage of a trusting kid like me....

I must have been 10 or 11 and my dad and I had gone to a nearby sports card show. I loved cards back then, and my dad and I bonded over our mutual interest. At any rate, I brought a Topps Jerry Rice rookie (a hot card at the time) with me to sell since I had 2 of them. While my dad was at a nearby booth I approached a dealer with it. He looked at it and said he had to go in the back to check his price guide. He returned, said he didn't need the card and promptly handed me back a different card, this one with gum residue all over the back. I told my dad what had happened and he and the dealer had words, but I told him to let it go since he was causing a scene. That guy's life must have been pretty miserable to pull a stunt like that.

I am not shocked it soured you on that particular issue. If that had happened to me early in my collecting career it would have soured me on the entire hobby.

Here is my own personal story. I still shudder to think of how sleazy someone has to be to take advantage of a trusting kid like me....

I must have been 10 or 11 and my dad and I had gone to a nearby sports card show. I loved cards back then, and my dad and I bonded over our mutual interest. At any rate, I brought a Topps Jerry Rice rookie (a hot card at the time) with me to sell since I had 2 of them. While my dad was at a nearby booth I approached a dealer with it. He looked at it and said he had to go in the back to check his price guide. He returned, said he didn't need the card and promptly handed me back a different card, this one with gum residue all over the back. I told my dad what had happened and he and the dealer had words, but I told him to let it go since he was causing a scene. That guy's life must have been pretty miserable to pull a stunt like that.

Man, that's low.

That really is disgusting.

It would have soured me on the entire hobby if not for the fact that I found this place right after it all went down. Shortly after my encounter with Danny ended, I did a deal with BronzeBruce, which was the polar opposite of dealing with Danny D, and that helped to restore my faith in this hobby.