• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,061 posts in this topic

Interesting. My bid is currently the highest on the 5.5 SC #22 on eBay. It looks like the book has stalled a bit. I wonder if it will break $3K now, or if it is a bit to soon for those lofty heights?

lots of time left in that auction...it should break $3k...

i know i havent bid in a few days...just waiting.... :hi:

I am not as certain now as I was after the first 24 hours. While it is a hot book, if you look at GPA prices (last 5.5 was $1434 in Nov 2008) and the last noted 6.0 going for $3500 (or something like that) then the market for 5.5s might not be at that level, yet. It will be there next year provided the economy does not tank again (a small pull back would be okay), but here's hoping the prices stay down until next summer so we can load up on a few more copies. (thumbs u

BTW, it was interesting to note that a friend who works at my LCS last night (he is a GL collector as well) mentioned that the movie delay/$$ troubles might hamper demand for GL books a bit right now. I wonder if this will have any impact or not. (shrug)

Although none of us are experts in the field of crystal-balling, we've been awake in this biz long enough to safely say that a nice SC 22 is a great long term investment and more important, fun to own. I'm 48 and (had) been chasing one since the 70s. The census report that Rich did confirms this: it's rare, a major character intro, a '59 issue, and low qual PQ. There are 9.2 - 9.6s of the other SA keys available. Some of the Boardies own these (wish I were one).There is no KNOWN copy > 9.0 of S22. It is the rarest SA key.

I'll rack up all I can get (within financial reason and whatever Rick leaves for scraps). The 5.5 on ebay is just a tad short of what we call the nice ones (6.0 and up). But it is nice. The movie, to me, helps 22s surface that normally would not. (thumbs u

Edited by peewee22

Interesting. My bid is currently the highest on the 5.5 SC #22 on eBay. It looks like the book has stalled a bit. I wonder if it will break $3K now, or if it is a bit to soon for those lofty heights?

I am not as certain now as I was after the first 24 hours. While it is a hot book, if you look at GPA prices (last 5.5 was $1434 in Nov 2008) and the last noted 6.0 going for $3500 (or something like that) then the market for 5.5s might not be at that level, yet. It will be there next year provided the economy does not tank again (a small pull back would be okay), but here's hoping the prices stay down until next summer so we can load up on a few more copies. (thumbs u

BTW, it was interesting to note that a friend who works at my LCS last night (he is a GL collector as well) mentioned that the movie delay/$$ troubles might hamper demand for GL books a bit right now. I wonder if this will have any impact or not. (shrug)

Although none of us are experts in the field of crystal-balling, we've been awake in this biz long enough to safely say that a nice SC 22 is a great long term investment and more important, fun to own. I'm 48 and (had) been chasing one since the 70s. The census report that Rich did confirms this: it's rare, a major character intro, a '59 issue, and low qual PQ. There are 9.2 - 9.6s of the other SA keys available. Some of the Boardies own these (wish I were one).There is no KNOWN copy > 9.0 of S22. It is the rarest SA key.

I'll rack up all I can get (within financial reason and whatever Rick leaves for scraps). The 5.5 on ebay is just a tad short of what we call the nice ones (6.0 and up). But it is nice. The movie, to me, helps 22s surface that normally would not. (thumbs u

Well said from a well respected collector! :grin:

As we have discussed, I agree with you on these sentiments. This has long been an undervalued book (along with a handful of other SA DC keys).

That being said, I am certain that we will eventually see 9.2+ copies on the market for the simple fact that there are a lot of collections yet to surface over the coming 20 years as long time collectors (or their heirs) sell off. After talking to a few dealers about other books at the SDCC, I am certain there are more HG SC #22s out there that will eventually come to light.

FWIW, I wonder if this 5.5 has 6.0 potential? If it was a Clink auction at least we would know based on the action and final price. ;)

I was playing this same "game" 6 months ago...but, my criteria was 4.0 and above...not just 6.0...

I was able to buy 11 copies (12 now) that were 4.0 and above...several were 5.0 and above, one is likely to be a 5.5, the 7.5 and potentially an 8.0....

the book is still readily available in 1.0-3.0 (I know of 9 copies available in that range, but the prices folks are now asking is crazy)... 3.5 is getting grey, but 4.0 and above it is and has been, generally "scarce" long before this last 3 month run up (thumbs u

As we have discussed, I agree with you on these sentiments. This has long been an undervalued book (along with a handful of other SA DC keys).

That being said, I am certain that we will eventually see 9.2+ copies on the market for the simple fact that there are a lot of collections yet to surface over the coming 20 years as long time collectors (or their heirs) sell off. After talking to a few dealers about other books at the SDCC, I am certain there are more HG SC #22s out there that will eventually come to light.

FWIW, I wonder if this 5.5 has 6.0 potential? If it was a Clink auction at least we would know based on the action and final price. ;)

85290.jpg.563e25f19074d654bb6732191812876e.jpg

I was playing this same "game" 6 months ago...but, my criteria was 4.0 and above...not just 6.0...

I was able to buy 11 copies (12 now) that were 4.0 and above...several were 5.0 and above, one is likely to be a 5.5, the 7.5 and potentially an 8.0....

the book is still readily available in 1.0-3.0 (I know of 9 copies available in that range, but the prices folks are now asking is crazy)... 3.5 is getting grey, but 4.0 and above it is and has been, generally "scarce" long before this last 3 month run up (thumbs u

Which is why the 5.5 on ebay is REALLY looking good!

No, it is 6.0 AND ABOVE that everyone should focus on. Don't waste your time with low grade 5.0 and 5.5 copies. :whistle:

BTW, I am no longer the high bidder. Which one of you popped my $2300 cherry after I posted it here. lol

With all this talk of SC #22, has anyone been speculating on ALL-AMERICAN #16? After all, that's the real first real app. of GL.

The dorky-lookin' GL? He doesn't even know Hal's "speak no evil" GL chant !

Edited by peewee22

No, it is 6.0 AND ABOVE that everyone should focus on. Don't waste your time with low grade 5.0 and 5.5 copies. :whistle:

BTW, I am no longer the high bidder. Which one of you popped my $2300 cherry after I posted it here. lol

Remember that's is an affordability issue for many collectors on here....5.5s are nice and juicy.

With all this talk of SC #22, has anyone been speculating on ALL-AMERICAN #16? After all, that's the real first real app. of GL.

It is probably too pricey as is right now to see much of a jump. Didn't a 5.5 go for $60K in the last Clink auction?

It is probably too pricey as is right now to see much of a jump. Didn't a 5.5 go for $60K in the last Clink auction?

yep

I had 3 AA 16's just 3 months ago, have sold 2 of them...but, this is not a book that will be affected by the movie for the following reasons:

1)short supply...this book has always had more demand than supply and prices are already strong

2)it is Alan Scott, has nothing (technically) to do with Hal Jordan (movie spec)

3) price point (avg copy of AA 16 will run you $20,000

yep

I had 3 AA 16's just 3 months ago, have sold 2 of them...but, this is not a book that will be affected by the movie for the following reasons:

1)short supply...this book has always had more demand than supply and prices are already strong

2)it is Alan Scott, has nothing (technically) to do with Hal Jordan (movie spec)

good info

yep

good info

I´m glad I got both first GL app.´s :cloud9:

yep

good info

I´m glad I got both first GL app.´s :cloud9:

That's awesome, you have both first GL. I would love to own a non restored low grade copy.

(:

I think you're in for a bargain....that is, unless I decide to push up the bidding :jokealert:

Go ahead and pop it. My max right now is $2300. lol

I put it in as a stink bid to see what happens and am very surprised it has lasted this long, to be honest.

at $2900 now.... :gossip:

I think you're in for a bargain....that is, unless I decide to push up the bidding :jokealert:

Go ahead and pop it. My max right now is $2300. lol

I put it in as a stink bid to see what happens and am very surprised it has lasted this long, to be honest.

at $2900 now.... :gossip:

(: Wow! It almost hit my low target. (thumbs u