• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
13 13

7,061 posts in this topic

Wow, I am surprised that no other copies have popped up on eBay yet. I was hoping that would be the case, but so far no such luck.

I'm in the market for a high grade GL 7, but no luck. (shrug)

Very tough book. Even Metropolis has not had one in ages (and they can find pretty much anything).

The real problem is, GL historically doesn't have a lot of keys.

I think GL 1 will get some increased heat as people will start to turn their attention to that following the Showcase 22 run up.

Other than that, maybe GL 16 -- and then I think you have to look at GL covers that have Sinestro on them. For instance, GL 9 is great book, first Sinestro cover. GL 8 is the only grey tone cover.

But... books like GL 40 to me are duds. Great cover, but really not much of a "key".

On the other hand, I really miss that Adams never did Sinestro in his run, but of course, at the time, GL really wasn't about star spanning action.

Could be happening already. The 9.4 GL 18 in the last CL auction went for a very strong price.

I think Sinestro covers will be a bit of a fad, though. He doesn't quite have the cover appeal of say, a Joker.

I think GL 1 will get some increased heat as people will start to turn their attention to that following the Showcase 22 run up.

Other than that, maybe GL 16 -- and then I think you have to look at GL covers that have Sinestro on them. For instance, GL 9 is great book, first Sinestro cover. GL 8 is the only grey tone cover.

But... books like GL 40 to me are duds. Great cover, but really not much of a "key".

On the other hand, I really miss that Adams never did Sinestro in his run, but of course, at the time, GL really wasn't about star spanning action.

Could be happening already. The 9.4 GL 18 in the last CL auction went for a very strong price.

I think Sinestro covers will be a bit of a fad, though. He doesn't quite have the cover appeal of say, a Joker.

Well that's not fair, the Joker is a classic villain, Sinestro, while cool, ain't no Joker.

If you want to compare it All Star #3, then you see the same issue again as All Star #3 is not on the same price plateau as the first appearances of a lot of the GA heroes.

I think the main reason All Star #3 is relatively cheap is because it is one of the most plentiful GA mega-keys, in high grade or otherwise.

Well that's not fair, the Joker is a classic villain, Sinestro, while cool, ain't no Joker.

He doesn't look cool, though.

Wow, I am surprised that no other copies have popped up on eBay yet. I was hoping that would be the case, but so far no such luck.

Very tough book. Even Metropolis has not had one in ages (and they can find pretty much anything).

The problem with 7 is Sinestro doesn't appear on the cover and 7 is so tough to find.

Looks like there's a very nice copy of 7 in the Mound City collection, though.

The problem with 7 is Sinestro doesn't appear on the cover and 7 is so tough to find.

That is a nice copy. Too bad it's not graded. I think for the long term, GL 7 should do very well. :hi:

What I meant by that comment is that B&B #28 suffers price wise for the same reason Avengers #1 does - it does not have the first appearace of any heroes.

I could be wrong in this, but my impression has always been that JLA was much more popular with DC collectors than Avengers was with Marvel collectors. Next to Batman-related titles, I'd say that JLA was usually the 2nd most popularly collected DC title, whereas I think Avengers historically trailed several of the individual titles.

The comparisons aren't perfect, because there were multiple Batman titles while Marvel had a limited number of titles plus several anthology titles that featured 2 characters, but I know a lot more DC collectors for whom JLA was their #1 or #2 title than Marvel collectors for whom Avengers was their #1 or #2 title.

What I meant by that comment is that B&B #28 suffers price wise for the same reason Avengers #1 does - it does not have the first appearace of any heroes.

I could be wrong in this, but my impression has always been that JLA was much more popular with DC collectors than Avengers was with Marvel collectors. Next to Batman-related titles, I'd say that JLA was usually the 2nd most popularly collected DC title, whereas I think Avengers historically trailed several of the individual titles.

The comparisons aren't perfect, because there were multiple Batman titles while Marvel had a limited number of titles plus several anthology titles that featured 2 characters, but I know a lot more DC collectors for whom JLA was their #1 or #2 title than Marvel collectors for whom Avengers was their #1 or #2 title.

Sales figures bear out your theory....Thor was actually the # 3 seller in the mid sixties and the GPA for the # 3 Marvel title shows quite a drop off from 1 and 2. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I think Sgt. Fury was rivalling the sales of Avengers at one point.

That is a nice copy. Too bad it's not graded. I think for the long term, GL 7 should do very well. :hi:

It is graded and is a 9.0. So, it ranks up there. It really is too bad he is not on the cover.

I think it depends when you started reading comics. For me, that was 1987/88 (X-Men #211) and JLA was a lame title. For old school collectors, JLA probably has strong appeal but for Marvel Zombie converts or those of us who started reading comics in the 80s, say post-Crisis, then JLA does not hold the same appeal. At that time, even West Coast Avengers was a better read than JLA. lol

It is graded and is a 9.0. So, it ranks up there. It really is too bad he is not on the cover.

That's right, he is not on the cover so nobody should bid on it. :sumo:

Wow, it's a 9.0. Imagine if he was on the cover, this issue would look so cool! :)

Wow, it's a 9.0. Imagine if he was on the cover, this issue would look so cool! :)

That is why everyone needs a copy of #9 as well. ;)

Hi everyone,

I have listed every copy of CGC Showcase 22 6.0 and above on this list. If anyone or private collector has a copy CGC 6.0 and wishes to add on this list, please let me know. Enjoy!

Updated list 9/06/09

Top high grade sales and holders of CGC Showcase 22:

9.0 Heritage auction ow

9.0 ComicLink auction ow

8.5 Nicolas Cage Heritage auction crm/ow

8.5 Doc Joe from threads crm/ow

8.0 Mound City crm/ow (4th copy not in CGC census yet)

8.0 Metropolis Comics private sale

8.0 Private collector

8.0 Private collector

7.5 Peewee from threads ow/w

7.5 Palamas from threads crm/ow

7.5 Private collector

7.5 Private collector

7.0 SilverRich from threads crm/ow

7.0 Heritage auction crm/ow

7.0 ComicLink crm/ow

7.0 ComicLink lt/ow

7.0 Private collector

7.0 Private collector

7.0 Private collector

7.0 Private collector

7.0 Private collector

6.5 ComicLink ow/w

6.5 ComicLink ow

6.5 ComicLink crm/ow

6.5 Private collector

6.0 Showcase22gr1959 from thread white

6.0 M. Wilson (dizneyart) ebay auction ow/w

6.0 Heritage auction crm/ow

6.0 Private collector

6.0 Private collector

6.0 Private collector

6.0 Private collector

6.0 Private collector

6.0 Private collector

Record sales 2009

7.5 $10500.00

5.5 $3803.64

4.0 $1700.00

showcase22gr1959

Edited by showcase22gr1959

That is why everyone needs a copy of #9 as well. ;)

What the heck....get 'em ALL :sumo: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Man, that 6.0 that Mark sold last year is looking better and better each day. He had a whole collection of mid-grade keys with nice page quality.

That 6.0 by Mark has off white/white pages too. Many of us boardies agrees that 6.0 and above are difficult to find. (thumbs u