• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,061 posts in this topic

Congrats!!! WOW!!!! If you ever wanna sell your undercopy 6.0 lemme know. Can't wait to see scans

Hi Everyone...thank you for all the thumbs up (thumbs u and your patience. Enjoy! :popcorn:

SHOWCASE85RR.jpg

Wonderful book! (thumbs u

GL's origin is by far, my favorite of the Silver Age. This story has everything...a fearless jet pilot, his pretty lady boss, and the incredible Abin Sur...glactic policeman of Sector 2814...

It's such a pleasure to see a clean copy (no offense to everyone else in the club!). Congratulations.

I agree that GL's origin is a great one. Very creative.

A few days ago I reread 22 and 23, and what struck me most was how much emphasis there was on the romantic tension between Hal and Carol. There's the storyline of Carol refusing to date Hal because she suddenly becomes his boss, but there's also the storyline that she starts falling for Green Lantern. The romance really dominates the stories.

Another note: there's a great scene in 22 where GL bursts in on some bad guys and they react by saying "It's not a not a bird, it's not a plane, and it's sure not Superman!" Very unusual for DC to show that kind of humor.

That the genius of author John Broome -- master science fiction writer. If you like those early GL stories, you have got to check out some of Mr Broome's stuff in 50s titles like STRANGE ADVENTURES and MYSTERY IN SPACE...you wont be disappointed!

Bill

I always wondered which came first Hal calling himself Green Lantern or the Guardians using the term ''Green Lantern Corps''. Is this something they cleared up with one of the many DC Crisisesisies?

Hal called himself GL in Showcase 22. The Guardians first appeared in Green Lantern 1. ;)

I always wondered which came first Hal calling himself Green Lantern or the Guardians using the term ''Green Lantern Corps''. Is this something they cleared up with one of the many DC Crisisesisies?

Well, the Guardians did not appear until Green Lantern #1, so I guess it was Hal that called himself Green Lantern first. (shrug)

Well I know that much, what I meant was, was it just a universal coincidence he called himself Green Lantern and then the all-mighty, all-knowing Guardians decided to name the whole Corps after HIM or vice-versa?

Congrats!!! WOW!!!! If you ever wanna sell your undercopy 6.0 lemme know. Can't wait to see scans

Hi Everyone...thank you for all the thumbs up (thumbs u and your patience. Enjoy! :popcorn:

SHOWCASE85RR.jpg

GL's origin is by far, my favorite of the Silver Age. This story has everything...a fearless jet pilot, his pretty lady boss, and the incredible Abin Sur...glactic policeman of Sector 2814...

It's such a pleasure to see a clean copy (no offense to everyone else in the club!). Congratulations.

A few days ago I reread 22 and 23, and what struck me most was how much emphasis there was on the romantic tension between Hal and Carol. There's the storyline of Carol refusing to date Hal because she suddenly becomes his boss, but there's also the storyline that she starts falling for Green Lantern. The romance really dominates the stories.

Another note: there's a great scene in 22 where GL bursts in on some bad guys and they react by saying "It's not a not a bird, it's not a plane, and it's sure not Superman!" Very unusual for DC to show that kind of humor.

That the genius of author John Broome -- master science fiction writer. If you like those early GL stories, you have got to check out some of Mr Broome's stuff in 50s titles like STRANGE ADVENTURES and MYSTERY IN SPACE...you wont be disappointed!

Bill

I have many and am actively seeking more!

Well I know that much, what I meant was, was it just a universal coincidence he called himself Green Lantern and then the all-mighty, all-knowing Guardians decided to name the whole Corps after HIM or vice-versa?

thats a great retcon question. My guess is that in our reality, Hal invented his GL moniker. But in the 2009 retcon universe, it was probably a subconciously induced idea from his ring itself, such that Hal THOUGHT he came up with the idea.

Another wacky take could be that Abin Sur worked for himself, and once Hal got his ring, he (and the ring) invented this vast backstory of the Guardians etc and its really only been a creation of Hals mind all these years. In the 60s this would have been a cool 8 pager where the villain (Hector Hammond?) convinces GL that the Corps is not real, and he's going crazy... like what Mysterio did to Spidey in #24.

I cant remember when it started talking.. or giving fedback. I also couldnt remember exactly what Abin Sur told Hal either, hoping he didnt tip Hal off as to who he worked for. I dont think he did, right? just that he had to find someone worthy, without fear.

I cant remember when it started talking.. or giving fedback. I also couldnt remember exactly what Abin Sur told Hal either, hoping he didnt tip Hal off as to who he worked for. I dont think he did, right? just that he had to find someone worthy, without fear.

I perused my copy of SC22 quickly and there was no mention of the Corps or the Guardians that I saw.

SHOWCASE85RR.jpg

"It's not a not a bird, it's not a plane, and it's sure not Superman!"

Here's the panel with this quote. This is from my reading coverless copy.

showcasecov.jpg

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Updated list 9/12/09

Top high grade sales and holders of CGC Showcase 22:

9.0 Heritage auction ow

9.0 ComicLink auction ow

8.5 Nicolas Cage Heritage auction crm/ow

8.5 Showcase22gr1959 from threads crm/ow (3rd copy not in CGC census yet)

8.5 Doc Joe from threads crm/ow

8.0 Mound City crm/ow (4th copy not in CGC census yet)

8.0 Metropolis Comics private sale

8.0 Private collector

8.0 Private collector

7.5 Peewee from threads ow/w

7.5 Palamas from threads crm/ow

7.5 Private collector

7.5 Private collector

7.0 SilverRich from threads crm/ow

7.0 Heritage auction crm/ow

7.0 ComicLink crm/ow

7.0 ComicLink lt/ow

7.0 Private collector