• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,061 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

On the new CGC census regarding Showcase 22. There is now only two 9.0 copies instead of three. hm I will give the club a tally of the new additions and update.

showcase22gr1959

Perhaps the CL 9.0 was resubbed. One out of many possible explanations?

The Comic Link copy looks like it was re-subbed if you look at the CGC gallery. Does that mean the Detective27kid copy has not be graded yet by the buyer? hm

I highly doubt that the old Clink 9.0 copy was resubbed. As Tim alluded in an earlier post, it is in very strong hands.

I actually meant re-holdered...since it was in the old CGC label...if you look at the #39 Overstreet on the first page ComicLink ad, this copy is in the old holder. I think CGC must have made a mistake it the last census and added the restored 9.0 copy to the universal grade in the last census. Since you mention strong hands, Palamas 7.5, Showcase22gr1959 8.5, Peewee2 7.5 are also in very strong hands. ;)

There would be quite an incentive to do a resub if it were an old label even if one weren't planning on selling it all all (your definition of strong hands?).

I recently had books I don't plan on selling resubbed. They were in old labels and the grading seemed about right. So since I was going to reholder them anyways, I accepted the risk and cost.

Hi Everyone,

On the new CGC census regarding Showcase 22. There is now only two 9.0 copies instead of three. hm I will give the club a tally of the new additions and update.

showcase22gr1959

The Comic Link copy looks like it was re-subbed if you look at the CGC gallery. Does that mean the Detective27kid copy has not be graded yet by the buyer? hm

I highly doubt that the old Clink 9.0 copy was resubbed. As Tim alluded in an earlier post, it is in very strong hands.

The Clink 9.0 copy WAS resubbed. The owner was just trying to see if CGC might give it a 9.2 to recognize that it`s clearly superior to the 9.0 Gary Keller copy. The brief appearance of 3 9.0 copies in the Census was probably the result of CGC not removing the old copy as quickly as they added the new copy, which they`ve now corrected.

Hi Everyone,

showcase22gr1959

I actually meant re-holdered...since it was in the old CGC label...if you look at the #39 Overstreet on the first page ComicLink ad, this copy is in the old holder. I think CGC must have made a mistake it the last census and added the restored 9.0 copy to the universal grade in the last census. Since you mention strong hands, Palamas 7.5, Showcase22gr1959 8.5, Peewee2 7.5 are also in very strong hands. ;)

There would be quite an incentive to do a resub if it were an old label even if one weren't planning on selling it all all (your definition of strong hands?).

I recently had books I don't plan on selling resubbed. They were in old labels and the grading seemed about right. So since I was going to reholder them anyways, I accepted the risk and cost.

Quite true and sometimes worth the risk and cost to improve the grade for the collection. For me, it's more of CGC handling the book (taking it out of the holder, grading again) and risking additional wear. I can always re-sub my SC22 and hope for a higher grade since it had a grader's notes of 8.5 and 9.0. ;)

Edited by showcase22gr1959

The Clink 9.0 copy WAS resubbed. The owner was just trying to see if CGC might give it a 9.2 to recognize that it`s clearly superior to the 9.0 Gary Keller copy. The brief appearance of 3 9.0 copies in the Census was probably the result of CGC not removing the old copy as quickly as they added the new copy, which they`ve now corrected.

Definitely worth a shot since it is the nicer of the two original 9.0s. If it were a Marvel key it probably would have received a 9.2. :baiting:

Edited by kimik

Gary Keller has/had an awesome collection of books!

He certainly did!

Seeing his collection and the Mound City come up in short order makes me wonder how many other HG DC collections are lurking in the shadows. hm

He certainly did!

Seeing his collection and the Mound City come up in short order makes me wonder how many other HG DC collections are lurking in the shadows. hm

Keller's collection was not OO.

He certainly did!

true. any meathead w/ more $ than brains can put together a HG DC collection; but how many undiscovered Mound-like collections are out there? that's an intriguing question.

He certainly did!

I know and that is why I did not specify it in my initial question. My guess is that most non-Batman/Superman pre-1962 DCs were well read and in low enough print runs that coming across a partially HG OO collection like Mound City is difficult enough as is.

However, it would be an interesting subject to speculate on. Over the past year we have seen the Mound City, Toth, and now the Helen G OO stashes surface, so does that mean we can expect more? If there are a lot of new collections popping up over the next couple of years that probably means most HG SA DC prices will come down a bit since the collector base is much smaller.

Edited by kimik

true. any meathead w/ more $ than brains can put together a HG DC collection

:sorry:

For what it's worth, I don't think Keller was a meathead at all. Now that I've had a chance to go through the catalog and see which books are his, I must profess my admiration for his selectivity and tastes. I can see quite a few books where unbeknownst to me we were competing with each other. And I am of course grateful for his purchases of more than a few of my books.

He certainly did!

I know and that is why I did not specify it in my initial question. My guess is that most non-Batman/Superman pre-1962 DCs were well read and in low enough print runs that coming across a partially HG OO collection like Mound City is difficult enough as is.

Well, technically every book that's ever sold in the secondary market is lurking in the shadows. That's why I wasn't sure what you were saying.

There may be more collections out there, in fact I'm sure there are, but I don't think the numbers will be huge. Certainly never approaching Marvel-like numbers.

For what it's worth, I don't think Keller was a meathead at all. Now that I've had a chance to go through the catalog and see which books are his, I must profess my admiration for his selectivity and tastes. I can see quite a few books where unbeknownst to me we were competing with each other. And I am of course grateful for his purchases of more than a few of my books.

the meathead i was referring to was me.

the meathead i was referring to was me.

lol

Congrats on finding this copy, Brent. :applause:

It will be interesting to see what the final price is. Based on prices I have seen on other copies in 6.0/6.5 I have inquired about, it would have fallen in the $6000-$7000 during the summer run up. Hopefully Brent can hit or exceed that now.

Hi Everyone,

The CGC census has been updated. The new tally is now 268. No new copies above 4.5 the last month. (thumbs u

:news:

Below is the list of the new additions.

1- 4.5

1- 4.0

2- 1.8

1- 2.5

2- 2.0

1- 1.0

Deletions

1- 9.0

1- 7.5

Restored

1-2.5

2-0.5

(thumbs u very nice. I'm hoping mine will be coming back in the 4.0 range :wishluck: but I think a 3.5 is probably more realistic.

I am waiting on my coupons to send mine in but it should be on it's way out in a week at most.

sc22_frontscanSM.jpg

:cloud9: Scheduled for grading