• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,061 posts in this topic

Mohawk Valley. Maybe soon, neighbour. 23 & 24 also, if that's OK(?) I thought about posting them on 'Please Grade My..." but I think a few of you

guys would be more interested and just as capable. Frankly, I'm trying to develop a thick skin before I show my 'babies' who are 15 now: where did the time go? I know opinions on grading can be night and day.

Ryan, thanks for starting this thread. Lots of fun and info reading. And thanks to Rich for his tremendous work here and obvious love of 22.

With all due respect to your books, the Mohawk Valley is the worst pedigree ever recognized by CGC. I had a number of books from this pedigree and eventually got rid of them all. None of them graded well as they tended to have that 'burnt' appearance, tanning and very poor page quality. I picked them up in the early 1990's, before CGC, Internet, etc. Structurally, they often looked good, in the 8.5 - 9.0 range but nothing graded higher than 8.0 for me because of the poor interiors.

Mohawk Valley. Maybe soon, neighbour. 23 & 24 also, if that's OK(?) I thought about posting them on 'Please Grade My..." but I think a few of you

guys would be more interested and just as capable. Frankly, I'm trying to develop a thick skin before I show my 'babies' who are 15 now: where did the time go? I know opinions on grading can be night and day.

Ryan, thanks for starting this thread. Lots of fun and info reading. And thanks to Rich for his tremendous work here and obvious love of 22.

With all due respect to your books, the Mohawk Valley is the worst pedigree ever recognized by CGC. I had a number of books from this pedigree and eventually got rid of them all. None of them graded well as they tended to have that 'burnt' appearance, tanning and very poor page quality. I picked them up in the early 1990's, before CGC, Internet, etc. Structurally, they often looked good, in the 8.5 - 9.0 range but nothing graded higher than 8.0 for me because of the poor interiors.

Hard to disagree with Bob, If you're a PQ guy then Mohawk Valley isn't the way to go. In terms of CGC grading I know some early Mohawk Valley DC's were graded by CGC before they were really rough on interior cover tanning and got much higher grades then they would have now a days.

Case in point is the Showcase 14 which graded out at 8.5 however with a notation stating "heavy tanning on the edges of the book" on the label. Sure as heck feels like a long time ago when CGC had notations on the label like that as qualifiers.

With that said the 9.2 Adventure 247 looked pretty nice though I wasn't a fan at all of the 8.5 Showcase 4.

The club would love to see your SC Green Lanterns. You will get great feedbacks here. (thumbs u

Hard to disagree with Bob, If you're a PQ guy then Mohawk Valley isn't the way to go. In terms of CGC grading I know some early Mohawk Valley DC's were graded by CGC before they were really rough on interior cover tanning and got much higher grades then they would have now a days.

Case in point is the Showcase 14 which graded out at 8.5 however with a notation stating "heavy tanning on the edges of the book" on the label. Sure as heck feels like a long time ago when CGC had notations on the label like that as qualifiers.

With that said the 9.2 Adventure 247 looked pretty nice though I wasn't a fan at all of the 8.5 Showcase 4.

The Showcase 4 8.5 does look great structurally. Books with superior PQ should deserve more recognitions. Just hard to judge a graded book's interior even though it's has a CGC PQ designation because certain white pages presents better than other white pages. Most of my books I get graded are raw and I know it's interior. Just my two cents.

All true, but even a 8.0 SC 22 would be a big deal, even with poor PQ.

Here's my Showcase 22 as promised- sorry some of you don't like Mohawk Valley, personally I love the bright colors. Prefer a little tanning to a lot of wear... and it's still a pedigree, even if you think it's the worst. It has history. Below each scan, is a link to an even larger scan. When you click on this, the scan should open in a new window. You may have to click on this scan once it's loaded to view it full size as your browser might fit it to screen,(or so my computer savvy wife says).

showcase22frontsmaller.jpg

Click here to see larger image of front cover

showcase22backsmall.jpg

Click here to see larger image of back cover

Edited by nawstruc

Here's my Showcase 22 as promised- sorry some of you don't like Mohawk Valley, personally I love the bright colors. Prefer a little tanning to a lot of wear... and it's still a pedigree, even if you think it's the worst. It has history. Below each scan, is a link to an even larger scan. When you click on this, the scan should open in a new window. You may have to click on this scan once it's loaded to view it full size as your browser might fit it to screen,(or so my computer savvy wife says).

showcase22frontsmaller.jpg

Click here to see larger image of front cover

showcase22backsmall.jpg

Click here to see larger image of back cover

That's a very nice copy...regardless of the tanning on the edges. From the scan and if there are no other hidden defects, I say it will garner at least a 7.0-7.5. SC22 in this grade don't grow on trees (worship) Any plans of getting it graded?

Thanks! No plans to get it graded, costs too much, no plans to sell, and I hate the thought of breaking up my Mohawk set even for a few weeks. The 24 is a beauty! with even less tanning and much better page quality. Don't know why but there seems to be lesser paper quality used in just issue 22.

Tim once said on this thread that he's seen CGC 9.6s with tanning so you never know what those guys are going to throw your way.....I love the sharp corners even with the slight wear...the Gary Keller copy is missing corner bits especially top and bottom spine. Maybe I should rip bits off the corners and get rid of the wear that way and get a 9.0 :idea: And while I'm picking on that copy, it has a stamp on the back cover. :censored:

Thanks! No plans to get it graded, costs too much, no plans to sell, and I hate the thought of breaking up my Mohawk set even for a few weeks. The 24 is a beauty! with even less tanning and much better page quality. Don't know why but there seems to be lesser paper quality used in just issue 22.

Tim once said on this thread that he's seen CGC 9.6s with tanning so you never know what those guys are going to throw your way.....I love the sharp corners even with the slight wear...the Gary Keller copy is missing corner bits especially top and bottom spine. Maybe I should rip bits off the corners and get rid of the wear that way and get a 9.0 :idea: And while I'm picking on that copy, it has a stamp on the back cover. :censored:

Nice book. I think you`d get a very decent grade on it. You should consider slabbing all of them together if you can`t bear the thought of breaking them up.

Mohawk Valley hater here to say your SC 22 looks great. I agree with you about the cover colors on this book and the Mohawk Valley in general. I heard the books were stored in a closet causing the tanning and page quality. Structurally it looks 8.0 but with the edge tanning I think the best you will get is 7.5 but for a SC 22

this is a keeper. Congrats.

In the club, we have mention the average PQ is cream to off-white so if your SC22 has at least that or better it will be a plus. Regarding your SC24, it may grade really high and we would love to see the scan of it someday. SC24 is another book hard to get above 8.0 with great PQ. I have yet to see a SC24 in white pages or even off-white to white pages. I do agree the Keller is a weaker 9.0, but looks better then most 8.5. My 8.5 copy almost had a shot at a 9.0 :cry:. I had plans of getting it regraded. But since it's going no where, I'll just leave it as is. I just don't want the risk of more handling. SC22 is the best DC SA key to have. Again, thank you for sharing your beauty. :cloud9:

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Showcase # 22 CGC 6.5 C/OW unrestored 1st Green Lantern on ebay :o

Roy's holding out on us. Post the picture already!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280597308865&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123#ht_500wt_1156

I don't see the image yet. (shrug) I wonder if it's the former 6.5 on ComicLink. hm

Showcase # 22 CGC 6.5 C/OW unrestored 1st Green Lantern on ebay :o

Roy's holding out on us. Post the picture already!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280597308865&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123#ht_500wt_1156

I don't see the image yet. (shrug) I wonder if it's the former 6.5 on ComicLink. hm

It is the same book. I've acquired the book in a trade and am waiting to get it in hand before I post the scan.

(thumbs u