• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
13 13

7,061 posts in this topic

To each his/her own...

There will never be a consensus on this.

I think there`s pretty clear consensus among knowledgeable DC collectors that there are more than 3 top tier SA DC keys.

In terms of value...then SC4, SC22, and BB28 is the top three SA DC. In comparison to their counterparts...AF15, FF1, Hulk 1.

Top 3 is not the same as "only 3". To say there are only 3 mega-key or top tier SA DCs is just ludicrous.

Not sure if you read my quote correctly. "In terms of value", not only three.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

To each his/her own...

I think there`s pretty clear consensus among knowledgeable DC collectors that there are more than 3 top tier SA DC keys.

What makes a top tier SA key, though? In my mind it is the books that most collectors, not just SA DC collectors, accept as being key? Most Marvel fanboys will recognize SC #4, SC #22 and B&B #28, and maybe Adventure #247 (but not as much with the younger collecting crowd since the Legion has not been as relevant as it used to be for a couple or three decades now). Outside of that, the other SA keys are significant in the DCU, but not as much overall.

Edited by kimik

To each his/her own...

What makes a top tier SA key, though? In my mind it is the books that most collectors, not just SA DC collectors, accept as being key? Most Marvel fanboys will recognize SC #4, SC #22 and B&B #28, and maybe Adventure #247 (but not as much with the younger collecting crowd since the Legion has not been as relevant as it used to be for a couple or three decades now). Outside of that, the other SA keys are significant in the DCU, but not as much overall.

Pretty much sums it all up :golfclap:

To each his/her own...

My implication of never having a consensus with this was towards which books are keys and which are not.

To each his/her own...

Why would the opinions of a bunch of myopic Marvel fanboys, or non-DC collectors, be relevant?

I don`t know much about Harveys, and therefore wouldn`t presume to tell Harvey collectors which of their books are mega-keys and which aren`t. Sure I have enough general knowledge to say that Little Dot #1 and Richie Rich #1 are definitely mega-keys, but would never say that there are no other Harvey mega-keys. I simply don`t have sufficient expertise on Harveys to reach such a conclusion. Hell, most Marvel fanboys wouldn`t even realize that Little Dot #1 and Richie Rich #1 are mega-keys. Why should their uninformed opinions be relevant?

In any event, mega-key status should be based on factors such as historical importance as well as value/demand, because the latter can come and go. Just 3 years ago, the general collector base that you place so much faith in probably wouldn`t have said that SC #22 was a mega-key. Hell, most of them probably didn`t even know what the book was and would`ve labeled GL as a 2nd tier character at best. In contrast, most knowledgeable DC collectors would definitely have said it was a mega-key.

Hell, most Marvel fanboys wouldn`t even realize that Little Dot #1 and Richie Rich #1 are mega-keys.
Just like Amazing Fantasy 15 and Spidey 1 are mega Marvel keys. :eyeroll:

most knowledgeable DC collectors would definitely have said it was a mega-key.
(thumbs u

Hell, most Marvel fanboys wouldn`t even realize that Little Dot #1 and Richie Rich #1 are mega-keys.

Wow, I didn`t even see Ciorac`s lips move! :baiting:

The allusion to Ciorac flew right past me. I'm not down with Spidey 1 being a super-mega Marvel key so Richie Rich 1 isn't a super-mega Harvey key either.

The greatest wars ever (not in any particular order):

WW I

WW II

Revolutionary War

Hatfields vs McCoys

Trekkies vs Klingons

Marvelites vs. DCers

C Sheen vs the World

The allusion to Ciorac flew right past me. I'm not down with Spidey 1 being a super-mega Marvel key so Richie Rich 1 isn't a super-mega Harvey key either.

Bill and I got into long debates as to the importance of ASM #1, so when you were appearing to say that it was a mega Marvel key, I thought you were making a good Charlie McCarthy to his Edgar Bergen.

As for whether Richie Rich #1 is a mega Harvey key, my example worked much better with 2 keys and it was the only other Harvey key I could think of! :insane:

The greatest wars ever (not in any particular order):

WW I

WW II

Revolutionary War

Hatfields vs McCoys

Trekkies vs Klingons

Marvelites vs. DCers

C Sheen vs the World

You forgot GA vs SA

Along with SC4 and 22 and BB28, what all would you guys consider to be the big DC silver age keys?

That pretty much covers it in my book

They are the only 3 mega-keys coming to mind at the moment for DC silver age.

(unless you want to count the first issues of the JLA, GL the Flash(105) as well...)

:screwy:

SC 4

B&B 28

Adventure 247

SC 22

Flash 105

Showcase 17

B&B 34

Showcase 34

Showcase 9

Showcase 30

JLA 1

GL 1

OAW 81, 83

GI Combat 87

If you are talking big keys, then there are only 3 top tier SA DCs - B&B #28, SC #4 and SC #22.

Otherwise, the list above is probably a good one to chase now before some of the 2nd and 3rd tier keys take off...........

Well if you asked that same question 3+ years ago you would have likely only answered 1, Showcase 4. Then Showcase 22 and now BB 28 took off and have become "mega keys" for those who follow the pricing of the books, so no I don't believe that fixable list that's being mentioned as the big 3 is the be all end all like some have made it seem in this thread.

In terms of value...then SC4, SC22, and BB28 is the top three SA DC. In comparison to their counterparts...AF15, FF1, Hulk 1.

Think SC 22 is probably better compared to AF15 at this point but I get the comparisons.

btw I enjoy looking at your sig line, very nice books and cool to see.

Thanks! (thumbs u And you have so cool recreation and style art.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Along with SC4 and 22 and BB28, what all would you guys consider to be the big DC silver age keys?

(unless you want to count the first issues of the JLA, GL the Flash(105) as well...)

SC 4

B&B 28

Adventure 247

SC 22

Flash 105

Showcase 17

B&B 34

Showcase 34

Showcase 9

Showcase 30

JLA 1

GL 1

OAW 81, 83

GI Combat 87

I think can also add Action 242 and 252 to the list.

Yup. I also forgot Flash 123.

SC 4

B&B 28

Adventure 247

SC 22

Flash 105

Showcase 17

B&B 34

Showcase 34

Showcase 9

Showcase 30

JLA 1

GL 1

OAW 81, 83

GI Combat 87

If you are talking big keys, then there are only 3 top tier SA DCs - B&B #28, SC #4 and SC #22.

Otherwise, the list above is probably a good one to chase now before some of the 2nd and 3rd tier keys take off...........

Well if you asked that same question 3+ years ago you would have likely only answered 1, Showcase 4. Then Showcase 22 and now BB 28 took off and have become "mega keys" for those who follow the pricing of the books, so no I don't believe that fixable list that's being mentioned as the big 3 is the be all end all like some have made it seem in this thread.

Think SC 22 is probably better compared to AF15 at this point but I get the comparisons.

btw I enjoy looking at your sig line, very nice books and cool to see.

Thanks! (thumbs u And you have so cool recreation and style art.

:hi:

Bill and I got into long debates as to the importance of ASM #1, so when you were appearing to say that it was a mega Marvel key, I thought you were making a good Charlie McCarthy to his Edgar Bergen.

As for whether Richie Rich #1 is a mega Harvey key, my example worked much better with 2 keys and it was the only other Harvey key I could think of! :insane:

lol Yes we did. I still stand by my assertion that ASM #1 is a top three Marvel SA key.