• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has the GS X-Men 1 cover just posted on CAF been discussed?

23 posts in this topic

disagree but then in my mind steranko's very talented but a bit overrated...

Speaking of cap I sure like that cap 100 cover on CAF though.

And speaking of mandel xmen pieces... I really like that xmen 8 splash too...

oh wow I just did a sort on his recent pieces and just the 7 recent adds are better than most anyone's collection lol

Here they are...

GSX1 cover

xmen 8 pg1 splash

spidey 26 pg1 splash

cap 111 cover

ff 59 cover

daredevil 42 cover

wonder woman 166 (recent) cover

Clem, my friend, you gotta get over this xmen 2 thing... I wouldn't pay half the asking price in trade whereas I'd pay the full 150k cash for the GSxmen1... now that is historic and key and beautiful.

Let me ask you a question all you art collectors out there.... if you asked 100 bigtime comicBOOK collectors to name the top 100 key and/or historic books... would xmen2 make the list?? Ok. How about if you asked those same folks to name the top 100 silver age books... would xmen2 make the list?? Ok. how about top 100 Marvel books? Any takers...?

How about GSxmen1... would be on at least 50 of the collectors lists of alltime key/historic books... maybe more. I think we get blinders on in our little alcove of the hobby. Just sayin'.

Yes, the xmen2 splash is nice... is there a full team or character shot by Kirby that isn't??!! It's Big, It's Bold! But, key, or historic, or beautifully inked, not so much...

It is old and did I mention Kirby, but frankly speaking, has everyone even read those old xmen stories? I'm sure many have, but I have not ever been able to slog my way through them... no nostalgia there, for me anyway. The entire Marvel universe got a huge dose of kickass when I was a kid in the 70's and the mutant team was re-invented. (Ask 100 people to name 5 xmen..... Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops, Collossus, Nightcrawler, Rogue, etc...... hmmmm, I didn't hear anyone mention Beast, okay who said Marvel Girl??)

And, lest we think this be sour grapes on my part as a former owner, not to worry... Mankuta to his credit was the ONLY one who stepped up and came close to my 50k asking price a few years back. A tad higher than I paid, but I felt fairly priced at the time. I took all trade because no one would give cash, but good trade and kudos to my buddy Jon, because with some of the proceeds from moving that trade I was able to pay for the Xmen 107 cover by Cockrum which is neither historic, nor key, nor by Kirby, but I wouldn't trade it for the Xmen 2 splash even if you held a gun to my head...

Do I hope that the splash sells for 150k,? well, I am a bullish kind of guy, and I think if it truly did sell for that would be very exciting for the comic art market. Mike B. and Jon M. are great marketers when they want to be so nothing would suprise me... but to answer your question Clem, Yeeesh!, in my opinion, not even in the same ballpark.

My 2 cents; which in honor of this years pricing at San Diego I'm also charging 4 cents for now.... but which I happily admit may sit languishing in an Itoya gaining in value all the while...

I'd also like to add a THANK YOU to Mr. Mandel and Mr. Wein for working out a deal on this cover! What might have been...

Better than X-Men 2 splash, right?

Man I am so relieved that this did not go up in flames like the Hulk 181 story. What strange twist of fate.

Clem

GilKaneGSX-Men1.jpg

Well Dan, I will say this in reply to your post:

1- You were a pleasure to deal with.

2- Your X-Men #107 cover is stunning and I would loooove to someday own it. Yum.

3- Personally, the GS X-Men #1 cover is beyond grail of grails for me...and yeah, I also am super-grateful that this didn't go up in flames like the Hulk #181 story (as-yet-first-hand unconfirmed?), and if I could own one piece of X-Men cover art, it would certainly be this one...I've held it in person, and even a good scan doesn't do it justice...

Better than X-Men 2 splash, right?

Man I am so relieved that this did not go up in flames like the Hulk 181 story. What strange twist of fate.

Clem

GilKaneGSX-Men1.jpg

lets review the forum rules shall we,

Rule 1

If there is cool stuff posted on line that you are talking about you MUST post a link

Thank you for your compliance

:baiting:

I tried posting a link, it wouldn't (or I couldn't) do it

Btw, I am not in disagreement with you Dan. I love both! but of course GS X-men 1 cover is different league in terms of value and historic significance, maybe I should have said Kirby X-Men 1 splash for a more interesting debate. We are blessed to be able to view both on CAF these days. The GS X-Men 1 cover for design alone is one of my favorite covers. (I used to own Gil Kanes cover rough for this. Tom H has it now) I said it tongue in cheek so to speak. I personally have two nostalgia points. I dig all the early marvel 1960s stories, these were reprinted in British comics in the 1970s and of course I bought American Marvel comics in the 1970s as well. I know someone in the CAF has the cover to Champions 1, that also has the same dynamic feel as the GS X-men 1. Also one of my favorites.

Clem

And the cherry on top....in addition to posting the Giant Size X-men #1 cover yesterday...Dave just posted the Miller DD #181 cover today.

When I see his name on the "recently updated gallery list" I hesitate to click on his name because one of these days it's going to be the contents of the Ark of the Covenent and gazing upon it will melt my face.

C

PS/// I think I am going to leave that as a comment on this piece.

And the cherry on top....in addition to posting the Giant Size X-men #1 cover yesterday...Dave just posted the Miller DD #181 cover today.

When I see his name on the "recently updated gallery list" I hesitate to click on his name because one of these days it's going to be the contents of the Ark of the Covenent and gazing upon it will melt my face.

C

If I give this piece to Dave you are screwed Chris.

arkframed.jpg

C

If I give this piece to Dave you are screwed Chris.

arkframed.jpg

MY EYES!!!!!!! :o

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=536781&GSub=6082

One crown jewel of the hobby after another...mind-blowing.

This latest rash of CAF updates by Dave also really help put into perspective the truly historic pieces of comic art and the ones where there would be no debate if they flashed six-figure price tags.

Definitely. Kind of puts the other "grails" down a notch :)

Has the daredevil 184 cover sold in recent memory? Notwithstanding how nice this 181 cover is, I always liked that one the best. Somebody must have it - I would think all the miller DD art is out there