• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blackest Night #1

563 posts in this topic

In regards to the BN storyarc, any ending besides the predictable White Lantern ending would be great.

Yup, but maybe the surprise will be who the White Lantern is. I am curious to see what they do with Sinestro - maybe he "redeems" himself by being the hero at the end?

Thanks, I never thought about it from this angle.

If Sinestro comes over to the light, what happens to the Sinestro Corps? (shrug)

Mongul Corps?

lol

Didn't the Blue Lanterns say Sinestro is vital to winning the war? You might be on to something.

Yeah, it looks like Mongul is taking over the Yellow Lanterns now. I think it would be kind of neat to see Sinestro "redeemed" and take over the role of the Guardians for the GL Corps.

I was hoping that DC would do a one-shot "prelude" for the Blackest Night that showed what Abin Sur found out/was doing that led up to the whole new Origin and BN storyline. It could also explain what Sinestro knows about the whole deal. My :wishluck: are crossed in the hopes that Johns does this at some point.

"During The Sinestro Corps War, it is revealed that Abin discovered a prophecy concerning of the Multiverse, The Powers of the Emotional Spectrum, and The Blackest Night prior to his death. Green Lantern: Secret Origin, reveals details of Abin's quest to learn more about The Blackest Night as he interrogated The Five Inversions on Ysmault, who had foreseen the prophecy. He learned that Earth is the birthplace of The Black: the antithesis of the emotional spectrum that the prophecy predicts will "one day consume all light and all life." He discovered that the prophecy foretells his own death, when his ring fails him in his time of greatest need.

He subsequently journeys to Earth in an effort to learn more about The Blackest Night, so that he might stop the prophecy's fulfillment. During his quest, Abin Sur begins to lose his faith in his willpower and his ring, and begins to feel fear. His weakened willpower results in his ring creating correspondingly weaker constructs, allowing his prisoner, Atrocitus, to break free and attack him, and cause his ship to crash on Earth. Abin Sur is critically injured in the crash, leading him to instruct his ring to seek out a successor - and the ring settles on Hal Jordan. His discovery of the prophecy from The Five Inversions was noted in the Book of Oa. However, this was believed to be a lie from their enemies and one of the Guardians, whom would later be named Scar, burned the page which has Sur's prophecy years later. Only two Guardians, Ganthet and Sayd, would take his discovery seriously. Scar was involved in the creation of the Black Lanterns."

this is all so anally retentive and twisted.... and cool. (just trying to not be argumentative.) But clearly these later days machinations all emanating from a single panel or silly phrase from the sixties creators, is at the same time, incredibly creative and depressingly naval comtemplating to the extreme.

Kudos to todays writers for utilizing an innocent, sing songy GL Mouseketeers-like GL ring charging poem where Gardener Fox (?) came up with "In Brightest Day..., ok lets see whats the opposite of bright day, oh yeah "Blackest Night! damn Im good!" and 45 years later spawn a company wide crossover on the simple choice of two words!!!! Similarly the big hand in one panel of GL 40 that spawned the Crisis Industry 20 years later! Or a throwaway JLA story about a mindwiping leading to Identity Crisis.

This is very clever stuff. I mean that.

What I object to is how convoluted it gets in the telling today. How hard to follow it becomes. How tiring it all feels year after year as these cool ideas get stretched to fill an entire seasons of profits for DC and Marvel.

Cant they do it simpler? Identity Crisis did it best Id say. Teh first mini-series was a closed end tale. Too bad it led to 2 years of Countdown and Countup etc etc.

isnt Batman/Bruce Wayne a prisoner somewhere? Is his actual body actually buried in a graveyard? Guess I missed that.

If it is, it explains Alfred taking responsibility for screwing up by allowing his body to be available to bad guys.

I guess I just cant follow these intricate storylines anymore.

You get a pass, because it is indeed a paradox-- in the next-to-last Final Crisis, Supes is holding the smoldering Bat-corpse after the run-in with Darkseid. It must be this corpse Alfred buried. But in the final issue of Final Crisis, we saw Bruce Wayne in a cave, back in the time of Anthro. So the likely resolution is a parallel-Earths Batman dead, with "our" Batman returning eventually from the past somehow. zzz

thanx, Im trying to follow a few series, Superman and Batman at least, but its hard. Ive stopped reading Mon-Els travails, New Krypton is a bit better.

as for us getting another Batman for good, I dont think DC would do that. Maybe he comes back for a year to extend the RIP marketing thing, but no way does The Batman they have had for all these years die for anything bigger than another stunt gimmick.

It wouldnt really matter in the long run, but Im sure DC would realize it would seriously cheapen the brand.

Its not the same as GA Batman morphing into SA Batman and us ending up with Earth 1 and 2 versions. That was a the end result of a ploy to bring back the GA characters that suddenly had value after 20 years. And even then, it wasnt Superman and Batman that needed bringing back, it was all the NON-published superheroes from the 40s.

Superman, WW, Batman and Robin were problems to explain away after Flash 123.

2c Hiyo!

A lot of good ideals popping up about the direction this series is going, but I wonder about a few things...

1) From Final Crisis... it is explained that (to an extent) that the Bruce/Batman we all know from Earth-1 is dead, but death by Omega Sanction breeds the chance of a returning Bruce/Batman to Earth-1, though it will be a Bruce/Batman from another Earth (Probably the last of the 52) to replace ours on Earth-1... based on the precedent set by Sunny Sumo.

(IMO: My hope for Frank Miller's series of All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder being designated a Earth and that Bruce/Batman being our replacement for the Batman of Earth-1.)

2) In regards to Blackest Night... There is a 1 million-pound gorilla in the room in the similar relation to the Sinestro Corps and Black Lanterns, that they shared intimately... they both are from the anti-matter universe, and that means the Earth-(Crime Syndicate of America). The Earth's universe for the Crime Syndicate of America has been designated and Ultraman, Owlman, and Wonder Woman are ruling the universe with an iron fist at the expense that Sinestro evolved the corps that was there in that Earth, but took them to Earth-1 to battle his ex-lantern employers.

I know you may be thinking... what about the other lantern corps?

Heres a run-down:

Agent Orange Lantern Corps: Nothing in this origin leads to believe he is not from Earth-1, but is remanned only to certain space-sector.

Alpha Lantern Corps: Though these guys are of the Green Lanterns at heart (That was a pun for you DC readers)and are the "black bags" section of the corps, but they are from Earth-1.

Black Lantern Corps: These corps core lantern and entity is the Anti-Monitor... who is in fact from the anti-matter universe of Earth-(Crime Syndicate of America)! Anyone remember what is there designated Earth in the 52?

Blue Lantern Corps: Is from Earth-1... despite the complex origin that lead to their creation.

Green Lantern Corps: Do not need to go into this corps about how they from Earth-1

Star Sapphire Corps: Do not need to go into this corps about how they from Earth-1

Sinestro Corps: Now we all know Sinestro conquerer/appealed to the Kwardians (or Qwardians, I forget) and took over the corps renaming it. He even hides his lantern in the anti-matter universe.

Violet Lantern Corps: Im sure they are from Earth-1.

(IMO: It seems that in the face of death... fear must be conquered, and whose knows fear intimately? I am hoping that the "1-million pound gorilla" is address by Sinestro Corps returning to anti-matter universe of Earth-?? with the Black Lantern (Probably have to drag William Hand with him too) sealed under his corps protection and plus Sinestro could always appeal to the CSA to help tackle the Black Lanterns... if there ever was a need.)

( :idea: ... hm : New on-going series for DC of Sinestro Corps, CSA, and/or (Earth-??)?)

3) In regards to the other lanterns... I see a society created like the Star Wars' Jedis or New Krypton? Instead of guilds... there would be different divisions of the Lantern Corps. Plus! Instead of just one Green Lantern for each space-sector... there could be 1GL, 1BL, 1SSL, and 1VL for each space-sector, working together! The Alpha Lanterns could be like the religious guild on New Krypton (Few members and have higher authority over other lanterns), but answer to a... Guardian Council (That has a representative of each lantern spectrum)!

So what yah think of this direction?

DC comics have the most absurd, ridiculous, confusing, what the, and never evolving cross over’s I have ever seen.

With all the earth-1-2-3-4 or whatever, Identity Crossovers, and countless s hit characters how can this sell.

I will say Green Lantern is money though, IMO the only good book in DC right now or in the past 3 years.

as for us getting another Batman for good, I dont think DC would do that. Maybe he comes back for a year to extend the RIP marketing thing, but no way does The Batman they have had for all these years die for anything bigger than another stunt gimmick.

It wouldnt really matter in the long run, but Im sure DC would realize it would seriously cheapen the brand.

Its not the same as GA Batman morphing into SA Batman and us ending up with Earth 1 and 2 versions. That was a the end result of a ploy to bring back the GA characters that suddenly had value after 20 years. And even then, it wasnt Superman and Batman that needed bringing back, it was all the NON-published superheroes from the 40s.

:gossip: Hiyo!

Uhh! Im not saying they are gonna bring back an "old concept" Batman from whatever age... im saying for the precedent already set about Omega Sanction/Sunny Sumo, Batman is dead.

Though... (Please slowly read this and try to get where I am going with this)

From reading a lot of DC on-going series out now including Red Robin; with Blackest Night up and running... DC might be trying to build a loop-hole for Batman (The one that died in Final Crisis) to come back, but not from the Omega Sanction (or necessarily from the Black Lantern Corps), but from either Booster Gold/Rip Hunter or Red Robin/Ra's Al' Ghul!

Here me out... Rip Hunter is training to do something after (seemingly already knowing) what happen to Batman in Final Crisis. Booster Gold now knows (Rip told him or showed, I forget, but it is in the recent issues), but Rip Hunter told him that... "You are not ready yet" (sotospeak).

In Red Robin... Tim Wayne/Drake is trying to find Bruce/Batman, because he does not believe he is dead from events of Final Crisis. He thinks he is still out there and in the recent issue puts Ra's Al Ghul in the same mind-set too!

IMO: Im thinking if William Hand (As Black Hand of the Black Lantern Corps) tries to go to the burial spot for Bruce/Batman dead body from Final Crisis... he may not actually be in there.

P.S.

We all know Tim Wayne/Drake has suffer more deaths relating to him then any super-hero (Though Superboy Prime might have an arguement that he has suffered more) in the 52. Plus, he does not like people who was closest (Closest to him, mind you!) to him to remain dead (Ex. Superboy) and might do something drastic to... bring him back alive.

So what do you think? Please understand I know this is a Green Lantern epic, but you cannot ignore the other players in this epic, too!

What I object to is how convoluted it gets in the telling today. How hard to follow it becomes. How tiring it all feels year after year as these cool ideas get stretched to fill an entire seasons of profits for DC and Marvel.

Cant they do it simpler? Identity Crisis did it best Id say. Teh first mini-series was a closed end tale. Too bad it led to 2 years of Countdown and Countup etc etc.

In general I agree with you about the convoluted nature of the various Countdown multi-mini-series marketing gimmicks of recent years. But based on Johns' success with the Sinestro Corps War storyline, I'm betting Blackest Night will be pretty self-contained. Unrested Spectre's...eh... enthusiasm aside, I'm hoping they leave the resolution of the Batman storyline to another day, and just tell a self-contained, comprehensible story within the pages of BN, for the reasons you mention.

"During The Sinestro Corps War, it is revealed that Abin discovered a prophecy concerning of the Multiverse, The Powers of the Emotional Spectrum, and The Blackest Night prior to his death. Green Lantern: Secret Origin, reveals details of Abin's quest to learn more about The Blackest Night as he interrogated The Five Inversions on Ysmault, who had foreseen the prophecy. He learned that Earth is the birthplace of The Black: the antithesis of the emotional spectrum that the prophecy predicts will "one day consume all light and all life." He discovered that the prophecy foretells his own death, when his ring fails him in his time of greatest need.

He subsequently journeys to Earth in an effort to learn more about The Blackest Night, so that he might stop the prophecy's fulfillment. During his quest, Abin Sur begins to lose his faith in his willpower and his ring, and begins to feel fear. His weakened willpower results in his ring creating correspondingly weaker constructs, allowing his prisoner, Atrocitus, to break free and attack him, and cause his ship to crash on Earth. Abin Sur is critically injured in the crash, leading him to instruct his ring to seek out a successor - and the ring settles on Hal Jordan. His discovery of the prophecy from The Five Inversions was noted in the Book of Oa. However, this was believed to be a lie from their enemies and one of the Guardians, whom would later be named Scar, burned the page which has Sur's prophecy years later. Only two Guardians, Ganthet and Sayd, would take his discovery seriously. Scar was involved in the creation of the Black Lanterns."

I liked reading that prophecy origin bit in the comics, but I would still love to see Johns do a mini-series/back up arc that fleshes out Abin Sur's story in more detail, as well as more history regarding the character since he appears to be the first rebellious GL (followed by Sinestro and then Hal). I think that DC missed an opportunity for $$$ by not having a Sinestro one-shot and an Abin Sur one-shot that gave more background into both characters like they did with the Sinestro Corps War one-shots.

Another idea could have been a "Tale of the GL Corps (or Tales from the Book of OA?)" series that builds upon the history the corps along the lines of the Dark Horse Tales of the Jedi/Sith minis. You could use this to give an origin of the Guardians, the Manhunters, the Corps, and the build up to BN as well as other big GL related events Johns has in store. I read one review of the GL movie -script where the critic/reviewer said he could see spin-off opportunities from it, so there could be a nice film and comic play just within the GL universe if DC plays it right. :wishluck:

Uhh! Im not saying they are gonna bring back an "old concept" Batman from whatever age... im saying for the precedent already set about Omega Sanction/Sunny Sumo, Batman is dead.

From reading a lot of DC on-going series out now including Red Robin; with Blackest Night up and running... DC might be trying to build a loop-hole for Batman (The one that died in Final Crisis) to come back, but not from the Omega Sanction (or necessarily from the Black Lantern Corps), but from either Booster Gold/Rip Hunter or Red Robin/Ra's Al' Ghul!

Here me out... Rip Hunter is training to do something after (seemingly already knowing) what happen to Batman in Final Crisis. Booster Gold now knows (Rip told him or showed, I forget, but it is in the recent issues), but Rip Hunter told him that... "You are not ready yet" (sotospeak).

In Red Robin... Tim Wayne/Drake is trying to find Bruce/Batman, because he does not believe he is dead from events of Final Crisis. He thinks he is still out there and in the recent issue puts Ra's Al Ghul in the same mind-set too!

IMO: Im thinking if William Hand (As Black Hand of the Black Lantern Corps) tries to go to the burial spot for Bruce/Batman dead body from Final Crisis... he may not actually be in there.

P.S.

We all know Tim Wayne/Drake has suffer more deaths relating to him then any super-hero (Though Superboy Prime might have an arguement that he has suffered more) in the 52. Plus, he does not like people who was closest (Closest to him, mind you!) to him to remain dead (Ex. Superboy) and might do something drastic to... bring him back alive.

So what do you think? Please understand I know this is a Green Lantern epic, but you cannot ignore the other players in this epic, too!

I appreciate you trying to explain it all to me. You may in fact be right!. I am saddened though that it following comics today is as deep and hard a process as it is. I couldnt follow all of what you said, though I admire (really) the dedication you exhibit in keeping all these storykines straight in your head!

P.S.

I appreciate you trying to explain it all to me. You may in fact be right!. I am saddened though that it following comics today is as deep and hard a process as it is. I couldnt follow all of what you said, though I admire (really) the dedication you exhibit in keeping all these storykines straight in your head!

:takeit: Hiyo!

Wow! I cannot tell if you guys (in this thread) are giving me a compliment or insulting me, though I do think maybe you all are secretly saying to yourselves... "That dude is drastically weird!"

P.S.

Wow! I cannot tell if you guys (in this thread) are giving me a compliment or insulting me, though I do think maybe you all are secretly saying to yourselves... "That dude is drastically weird!"

I don't think you're weird at all; actually you've schooled me to a lot of stuff.

2c Hiyo!

A lot of good ideals popping up about the direction this series is going, but I wonder about a few things...

1) From Final Crisis... it is explained that (to an extent) that the Bruce/Batman we all know from Earth-1 is dead, but death by Omega Sanction breeds the chance of a returning Bruce/Batman to Earth-1, though it will be a Bruce/Batman from another Earth (Probably the last of the 52) to replace ours on Earth-1... based on the precedent set by Sunny Sumo.

(IMO: My hope for Frank Miller's series of All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder being designated a Earth and that Bruce/Batman being our replacement for the Batman of Earth-1.)

2) In regards to Blackest Night... There is a 1 million-pound gorilla in the room in the similar relation to the Sinestro Corps and Black Lanterns, that they shared intimately... they both are from the anti-matter universe, and that means the Earth-(Crime Syndicate of America). The Earth's universe for the Crime Syndicate of America has been designated and Ultraman, Owlman, and Wonder Woman are ruling the universe with an iron fist at the expense that Sinestro evolved the corps that was there in that Earth, but took them to Earth-1 to battle his ex-lantern employers.

I know you may be thinking... what about the other lantern corps?

Heres a run-down:

Agent Orange Lantern Corps: Nothing in this origin leads to believe he is not from Earth-1, but is remanned only to certain space-sector.

Alpha Lantern Corps: Though these guys are of the Green Lanterns at heart (That was a pun for you DC readers)and are the "black bags" section of the corps, but they are from Earth-1.

Black Lantern Corps: These corps core lantern and entity is the Anti-Monitor... who is in fact from the anti-matter universe of Earth-(Crime Syndicate of America)! Anyone remember what is there designated Earth in the 52?

Blue Lantern Corps: Is from Earth-1... despite the complex origin that lead to their creation.

Green Lantern Corps: Do not need to go into this corps about how they from Earth-1

Star Sapphire Corps: Do not need to go into this corps about how they from Earth-1

Sinestro Corps: Now we all know Sinestro conquerer/appealed to the Kwardians (or Qwardians, I forget) and took over the corps renaming it. He even hides his lantern in the anti-matter universe.

Violet Lantern Corps: Im sure they are from Earth-1.

(IMO: It seems that in the face of death... fear must be conquered, and whose knows fear intimately? I am hoping that the "1-million pound gorilla" is address by Sinestro Corps returning to anti-matter universe of Earth-?? with the Black Lantern (Probably have to drag William Hand with him too) sealed under his corps protection and plus Sinestro could always appeal to the CSA to help tackle the Black Lanterns... if there ever was a need.)

( :idea: ... hm : New on-going series for DC of Sinestro Corps, CSA, and/or (Earth-??)?)

3) In regards to the other lanterns... I see a society created like the Star Wars' Jedis or New Krypton? Instead of guilds... there would be different divisions of the Lantern Corps. Plus! Instead of just one Green Lantern for each space-sector... there could be 1GL, 1BL, 1SSL, and 1VL for each space-sector, working together! The Alpha Lanterns could be like the religious guild on New Krypton (Few members and have higher authority over other lanterns), but answer to a... Guardian Council (That has a representative of each lantern spectrum)!

So what yah think of this direction?

DC comics have the most absurd, ridiculous, confusing, what the, and never evolving cross over’s I have ever seen.

With all the earth-1-2-3-4 or whatever, Identity Crossovers, and countless s hit characters how can this sell.

I will say Green Lantern is money though, IMO the only good book in DC right now or in the past 3 years.

True words. I'm only buying GL right now, every Wednesday faithfully. Eveything else will have to wait. I'll pick up the trades eventually.

True words. I'm only buying GL right now, every Wednesday faithfully. Eveything else will have to wait. I'll pick up the trades eventually.

Really? You both think GL is the only thing worth reading from DC in the last 3 years? No Dini Detective Comics? No Morrison All-Star Superman? JSA?

I am just catching up. I get my books once a month. But have read everything up to date minus GL43. I bought blackest night1 off the rack, couldnt wait! And Geoff Johns again delivers! I look forward to an event book that actually makes me excited to read it. I think DC learned a bit from Annhialation from Marvel.

Eff'in gold star on this book!

It only seems like this because people like Johns know how to write, and have something to say. Marvel has the absolute worst crossovers - Bendis takes 3 issues worth of material and stretches it out into 7 issues, with more useless dialogue than a Tarantino movie. Johns doesn't deal with filler.

P.S.

I don't think you're weird at all; actually you've schooled me to a lot of stuff.

:hi: Hiyo!

Thanks for that... I do mean to be sometimes informative, but I just cannot stop thinking what direction DC is going. It makes it more exciting and worthwhile when I read my DCs in this "thinking mode". Darn, Grant Morrison's run on Batman has made me this way, but I love it!

Really? You both think GL is the only thing worth reading from DC in the last 3 years? No Dini Detective Comics? No Morrison All-Star Superman? JSA?

zzz Hiyo!

Do not forget... Final Crisis Aftermath: Dance; Escape; and Ink, Booster Gold, Vigilante, Jonah Hex, and Green Arrow/Black Canary.

In all honesty here, I've never liked DC. Ever. Since a child. Never. Since...well you get my point. I picked up the Cacaphony mini which was pretty cool, as well as Final Crisis, so I guess Batman is on my radar, but has yet to hit the pull list. As I get older, I'm starting to appreciate writers and artists, more so than the titles themselves.

Blackest Night however, has made me change tune. Incredible. :golfclap:

I am just catching up. I get my books once a month. But have read everything up to date minus GL43. I bought blackest night1 off the rack, couldnt wait! And Geoff Johns again delivers! I look forward to an event book that actually makes me excited to read it. I think DC learned a bit from Annhialation from Marvel.

Eff'in gold star on this book!

+1 (thumbs u

I just caught up on GL 44, BN 1, and BN: Tales of the Corps 1 & 2. Again I will say that Johns is the best thing to happen Moderns Comics. I enjoyed BN 1 very much and think it is a good starting point. The BN: Tales of the Corps is pretty cool extra stories.

Mostly I'm just hopping Johns doesn't let DC trun this into a convolted storyline like Final Crisis, and they just let him tell the good story he had in mind at first.