• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Auctions running too long?

24 posts in this topic

20 days in a CL auction seems pretty long for my taste. 20 days starts to feel like a regular listing after several days especially when there is little movement in bids for many days. I end up checking it the first few days and don't go back to view until the last few days.

I'm all for extended endings when a bid comes in so that there are no snipes.

But as for duration, 20 days for a listing seems quite long.

Is there a reason for such a long auction? Have they researched it and discovered that 20 days maximizes the final prices?

Now that you got me thinking about it....it does seem too long. It is just like a listing. But it makes sense from a marketing/advertising perspective. So as a buyer I feel it is a liitle annoying as a business owner it is a smart idea.

I place a tracking bid the first day then hope I don't forget when the auction ends. I've missed a number of bids after losing track over a three week waiting period.

Probably costs the consignors some money on every auction.

Since their auctions are titled and based on the month perhaps they feel the need to make them run almost the entire month.

Maybe they should split the month into two theme categories and have two shorter auctions instead

Now that you got me thinking about it....it does seem too long. It is just like a listing. But it makes sense from a marketing/advertising perspective. So as a buyer I feel it is a liitle annoying as a business owner it is a smart idea.

It might not be so smart if your audience is irritated enough to stop caring about what's up for auction.

What I might do is right write down which books I'm interested in so I don't forget and then bid at the end. Either that or put down tracking bids early if I can.

I do agree it's too long, both as a buyer (I hate having to wait long to get a book I want) and as a seller (ie. waiting to get paid) but it probably maximizes exposure for the auction.

R.

edit. sorry, wrote down the wrong right.

doh!

sounds like a good idea to rite down stuff. I'm one that would rather have a phone call with a day left like doctors offices but that would be a lot of calls

As seller I would like 14-days as the max for the auction.

Also as a buyer if I really want the book then the auction could be a month long and WOULD NOT forget.

I place a tracking bid the first day then hope I don't forget when the auction ends. I've missed a number of bids after losing track over a three week waiting period.

Ditto!

Pretty much this.

Lord knows how much money they're leaving on the table by having 3 week auctions

Maybe they should split the month into two theme categories and have two shorter auctions instead

Pretty cool idea!

So I should apply to CLink for a job then? :idea:

If I did I'd go thru that place with a flamethrower and spend some of that money they are making hand over fist improving that stone-age looking website

Ditto!

Me too.

As has been said, I'm sure it maximizes exposure, but there have been times when I just didn't make the effort to check back. If I didn't place an early tracking bid, I'm even less motivated to check back and scroll through all of the listings.

Retitled in the hopes Josh or Tomis or whomever is using the comiclink id checks this thread, as it's pretty decent feedback

Clink and HA are both guilty of this. Complicating things further this time around is the fact that the August actions for each offering end at the same time (8/14 and 8/15). That's a ton of material dropping all at once....what's an average collector to do? (shrug)