• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pretty book of the day: 1/8/2004

18 posts in this topic

Gee when are you going to show us your really good stuff. Good God, everytime I see you books I want to throw my Valiants out the window. 893applaud-thumb.gif

No no no. Appreciate what you got and appreciate what others got. Never compare. Just appreciate! thumbsup2.gif

You know, I don't collect silver age dc much, but I've rarely EVER seen a copy from that era with bad qp. The 70s marvels are definitely the worst culprits. The 60s dcs are mostly very well aligned at the spine from what I've seen.

I think the thing I love about these GA covers, and thanks for giving us the opporutinity Timely to check them out, is the incredible amount of action going on. I mean, are there enough different things going on here? Wow!

sign-offtopic.gif

I'm too lazy to do a search to see if it has been discussed on the boards before, suspect it has, but I HIGHLY recommend the fabulous book,

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

by Michael Chabon

which follows the career of two Shuster & Siegal / Simon & Kirby modeled young guys who break into the comics biz in the 40's. For a silver age nut like me it was an ephiphany, a great read, and the guy just knows how to write like a ba893censored-thumb.gif! Think there is a movie being made of it. You guys can fill in the details.

I think the thing I love about these GA covers, and thanks for giving us the opporutinity Timely to check them out, is the incredible amount of action going on. I mean, are there enough different things going on here? Wow!

sign-offtopic.gif

I'm too lazy to do a search to see if it has been discussed on the boards before, suspect it has, but I HIGHLY recommend the fabulous book,

by Michael Chabon

which follows the career of two Shuster & Siegal / Simon & Kirby modeled young guys who break into the comics biz in the 40's. For a silver age nut like me it was an ephiphany, a great read, and the guy just knows how to write like a ba893censored-thumb.gif! Think there is a movie being made of it. You guys can fill in the details.

Stunningly good book. Chabon won the Pulitzer Prize for it. He is a serious comic book geek - check out his website and enjoy. He also wrote Wonderboys and the amazingly well written Summerland.

by Michael Chabon

It was an excellent read, although it gets really weird after Joe leaves NY. But it is really apparent from reading the wonderful details and nuances that Chabon clearly knows GA books and the artists and writers and the way the comic industry actually ran back then.

Wow!

Just how many more books like that do you have that we haven't seen yet?

You have any Timely #1's?

I have ten #1 Timely's plus 2 other issues that are the firsts of their titles (but not numbered as #1).

Timely