• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DAMMMMMMMNNN!! Here's something you never see on Ebay!

30 posts in this topic

a 9.4? Are you sure? I don't remember that book being a 9.4

(but it was a awhile back that we graded it).

Funny story when that book came around for grading, we were all talking about how tough a book it was, but it was actually the third one I had seen in two months. I had just flipped a set of Detective #1-29 and 38 to Dave Anderson and he had the #2 he had just picked up with him to compare to the one in the run.

So I saw three copies in a few months span and then didn't see another for probably six -seven years.

Well if that's what we graded it, then that's what it was.

I think all the grades we did then have actually held up pretty well when

the books have been slabbed now.

I even think that the MH #2 was a 2nd hand copy, pretty amazing that

it was still in such great shape.

Seeing this book at 18K makes me wonder what the NM 9.4 Mile High copy is now worth? It sold in the first sotheby's auction for about 18K in 1990, 14 years ago!

Timely

Been thinking about this $18K price and and I don't really know if it's as ridiculous as some of you guys make it out to be. It would probably be in the ballpark if there was not a NM 9.4 copy of this book out there. Since there is a 9.4 copy, it might be a tad on the high side.

You have to remember that the book guides for $7K in Fine and $16K in VF. CGC books normally carry a premium and a book as rare as this should rightfully carry a pretty hefty premium. In comparison, early non-key SA books was selling at this price range for 10X guide back last year and possibly even this year. I believe that Ideal has an 9.9 Hulk #181 listed for somewhere in this price range or was it even for a lot more. If I had the money and only one choice between the two, I would take the 'Tec #2 without giving it a second thought.

Unfortunately, I don't have this kind of money to spend on one individual book. Also lost my incentive after I sold off my mid-grade Tec #1 for way above top condition guide price several years ago. The Lost Valley Tec #1 in Fine is a much better buy at $40K. From a collectors point of view, however, Tec #2 and #3 are two of the toughest books to find in the pre-Bat run, especially in grade. If a collector needs this book, they may just have to step up to the plate and pay the price.

Only book which I really wanted from the collection was the CGC 9.0 copy of Wings #90 even though it was priced at $475 or 2.5X the OS NM guide price. Needless to say, it was already sold by the time I got through to them on the phone. Beautiful book with an absolutely classic cover. Any of you guys got a high-grade copy for sale at an equally reasonable price? tongue.gif

That sounds about right on the double slash.

I was too lazy to pull out my old Sotheby's catalog from then to look it up,

but if you do decide to check the 'Tec #2 out in it, I'm sure you'll see my name as one of the graders for that year.

I have the catalogue and yes it was graded NM (and yes, zilla is listed as one of the graders.. smile.gif) Sadly the photo is cropped so you can't see the edges, but the preservation looks to be unreal. The Church #18 and #22 also sold in that auction.

but if you do decide to check the 'Tec #2 out in it, I'm sure you'll see my name as one of the graders for that year.

Well, now I'm curious who you are. You are not Pat Kochanek, John Verzyl, Gary Carter, Ernie Gerber or Steven Fishler. That leaves 3 others, Jerry Weist, Sean Linkenback or Jim Payette. Care to PM me your name? Just Curious!

Timely

Well, now I'm curious who you are. You are not Pat Kochanek, John Verzyl, Gary Carter, Ernie Gerber or Steven Fishler. That leaves 3 others, Jerry Weist, Sean Linkenback or Jim Payette. Care to PM me your name? Just Curious!

Timely

Zilla is Sean! He's mentioned it previously!

I have the catalogue and yes it was graded NM (and yes, zilla is listed as one of the graders.. smile.gif) Sadly the photo is cropped so you can't see the edges, but the preservation looks to be unreal. The Church #18 and #22 also sold in that auction.

Yes, I had the Action #63 and #66 Mile Highs that sold in that auction! I owned them for about 9-10 years.

Timely