• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DAMMMMMMMNNN!! Here's something you never see on Ebay!

30 posts in this topic

Ian, did you see it yet??? thumbsup2.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2216367186&category=68

By the way, is it possible that this is the same artist that did the artwork on the Double Action 1 and Action 1 ashcan? It sure looks very similar in style. The hands and facial characteristics in particular!

I wish they put up a better scan for a $18,000 book... tongue.gif

I'll probably never see one in person, especially in grade.

Just an FYI - I've seen that book in person and it is BEAUTIFUL for a 6.0. I have dealt with Al many many times and would be happy to vouch for him to anybody who is worried about the scan.

Oh, I have no doubts that it's not a scam. He's clearly legit.

But $18,000?? Wow. I own more than a couple "best graded copies" of tough books from the 1930's, and I've happily paid above guide for many of them. But I've plugged the numbers into my spreadsheet every which way and can't justifiably get within $6000 of his asking price.

It's a philosophical question. How much is a unique comic worth? If he can find someone to pay $18K for that comic, then it's worth $18K, and more power to him. There are literally zero past sales of this comic in this condition, so a market hasn't been established yet.

Here are my most egregious way-above-guide examples: I paid $2300 for the Larson copy of Detective Picture Stories #5, unrestored 8.0. I paid $2100 for the Mile High copy of Keen Detective Funnies v2#8, unrestored 9.0, that I posted on the cigar thread. I also believe that I could more-or-less recoup my costs if I needed to sell those books. I think it can be said that a market has been established for high grade non-keys from the late 1930's. And an $18,000 copy of Detective 2 at 6.0 is just out of synch with it.

What I'm unable to quantify is the cache of the pre-Batman Detectives, plus the cache of the Gerber rating on Detective 2 (which IIRC is a 9). These intangibles clearly warrant a monster price tag, relative to the 2 books I cited. But $18,000?

If he had it at $12,000, I think I could justify bidding on it. Justify to myself, I mean, not to my wife. $18K.....I just can't. Oh well. I hope he sells it someone, though. I'd love for a 5-figure market to be established for high grade non-superhero non-key 1930's books.

Throw price guides and logic out the window on books like that. It's priced to sell to the person who NEEDS it, not just wants it (if that makes sense). While expensive, it's not totally unreasonable for a book you may not see again for many years.

"a sharper scan can be sent upon request" confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe the scan in the description isn't better because he is worried about scammers stealing a nicer scan? confused-smiley-013.gif

This should prove to be a tough sale! Who but a DC, Det., Gerber "8 or better", or pre-super hero DC collector is going to step up and put $18,000 down on a #2 (unless he has the surrounding issues). Someone with an urge to get a very early Det. would probably hold back that $18,000 for the coming of a mid low-grade Tec1. Unless you've got mad money, this particular book is going to attract only a very specifically targeted buyer. A handful of interested parties at $18,000, as nice as it is!

I may be wrong, but unless Mamanook, Metro, JP, or Ian want it: "opener not met". And I've got to believe that at least half of those I've mentioned have already been given the chance off ebay.

So here's my question: Is eBay the best place to sell this book? Obviously, the owner doesn't really WANT to sell it, otherwise he'd have listed it for less money. This is the 2nd time that this book has been listed, and I'm guessing it won't sell this time either. Why continue to pay those listing fees? Why not take it to ComicLink? Why not make 100 phone calls and put the word out to the Big Boys that you've got this book and are looking for $18K? Why not give it Heritage and let them pump the heck out of it in one of their glossy catalogues, with a high reserve?

I know, some of those methods cost more than others. Maybe he's made all the phone calls and got no takers (which should tell him something). I'm just wondering whether eBay is the way to go with this. I know that I won't be selling some of my most unique 1930's comics on eBay when that time comes, because I got my best deals as a buyer ON EBAY from sellers who erroneously didn't realize that the market for those pre-Action #1 books is tiny, and a 7-day auction will almost certainly not attract two of the few "want-it-at-all-costs" buyers out there to get a bidding war started.

On the other hand, if he's just listing it to show it off....well, I totally see where he's coming from. wink.gif Kudos to him for finding that masterpiece. I drool on my computer just looking at it.

The answer to the title of this thread is: yes, this is something you see on EBay. The last time this seller put it up they were asking, if memory serves, $20K, though I could be off. And this was after trotting it to all the major conventions, where potential buyers, such as there are, apparently all thought "Tec 2, new car, Tec 2, new car" and opted for the latter. EBay, for such books, is a last and somewhat desperate resort. And yes, posters in this space have put Ian in touch with the seller, and Ian, who apparently passed on the Mastronet TEC 27 that just went for $31K, has apparently passed on this one as well.

This is a nice book and certainly a rare book and I guess if people were once paying four Amsterdam townhouses for a tulip someone may eventually buy this too. But the reality is that it's probably most suited for a Detective Comics (or DC) completist, as it's not a key or from a serious pedigree, and such people are both rare and reluctant to overpay for a book that has a very limited (serious) market. After all, if you're a completist of such a long and expensive run and are not cost conscious, well, you're well on your way to becoming an overnight millionaire - assuming, that is, that you started out as a multi-millionaire.

The "Lost Valley" books are typically priced about 3 to 4 times Guide. A couple of the keys have sold if memory serves (Tec 1 for 40K and the Tec27). And they have paraded them around to all of the major shows. But they are not exactly flying out the door at that price level.

This book situation is similar to what I was saying (or trying to say) in that other thread I started. Sure, you can calculate that thi sbook is "worth" 18K: is a Gerber 9, the best copy, Lost Valley multiplier in effect, etc. But when you do the math and it adds up to 18K for a book that a handful of collectors would ever want at any price...???? Its just not going to sell. Or shouldnt, if the buyer is sane.

How many collectors are putting together a HG run (not an' any copy' run like Ian) of Pre-Batman Detectives anyway, Kramer once did...who else since?? Great book. Tough sell.

I agre - -I'd rather have the #1.

I hope he sells it someone, though. I'd love for a 5-figure market to be established for high grade non-superhero non-key 1930's books.

I think that pretty much sums it up. Except for the fact that it's not high-grade.

It's a mid-grade, non-superhero, non-key book that just happens to be incredibly expensive and rare. In sum, it's value lies in it's rarity. Is that enough to justify $18,000? H_ll no. I've got books that are near unique, but they're not worth $18 grand. If rarity instantly conferred value, I'd be sifting through the 50c boxes for every crappy independent handout from the mid 80s.

"a sharper scan can be sent upon request" confused-smiley-013.gif

I just wanted to window shop... crazy.gif

I don't want to bother someone for a big scan with no intention of buying.

The answer to the title of this thread is: yes, this is something you see on EBay. The last time this seller put it up they were asking, if memory serves, $20K, though I could be off. And this was after trotting it to all the major conventions, where potential buyers, such as there are, apparently all thought "Tec 2, new car, Tec 2, new car" and opted for the latter. EBay, for such books, is a last and somewhat desperate resort. And yes, posters in this space have put Ian in touch with the seller, and Ian, who apparently passed on the Mastronet TEC 27 that just went for $31K, has apparently passed on this one as well.

This is a nice book and certainly a rare book and I guess if people were once paying four Amsterdam townhouses for a tulip someone may eventually buy this too. But the reality is that it's probably most suited for a Detective Comics (or DC) completist, as it's not a key or from a serious pedigree, and such people are both rare and reluctant to overpay for a book that has a very limited (serious) market. After all, if you're a completist of such a long and expensive run and are not cost conscious, well, you're well on your way to becoming an overnight millionaire - assuming, that is, that you started out as a multi-millionaire.

I thought it was $20k too. Killing the last 5 minutes of work here today, I found this thread: He listed it for $19k last time...