• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have assessed my collection...and have found it lacking.

53 posts in this topic

I sometimes wonder if the grade-centric personality of this board has begun to affect how I look at my comics.

I love my comics but I have noticed myself taking a stricter look at the books. In some cases I am even disappointed in defects that used to not bother me. Now I seem to be nitpicking (or just picking) over the defects and find myelf wishing I had it in a higher grade. My recent decision to begin slabbing certain books has brought this new found critical eye to the front.

Should I consider this a natural progression in my collecting habit? I think the search for higher grade books, though ultimately more expensive, might be just what my mind is telling me to do. Has any raw collector experienced this attitude change?

I sometimes wonder if the grade-centric personality of this board has begun to affect how I look at my comics.

I love my comics but I have noticed myself taking a stricter look at the books. In some cases I am even disappointed in defects that used to not bother me. Now I seem to be nitpicking (or just picking) over the defects and find myelf wishing I had it in a higher grade. My recent decision to begin slabbing certain books has brought this new found critical eye to the front.

Should I consider this a natural progression in my collecting habit? I think the search for higher grade books, though ultimately more expensive, might be just what my mind is telling me to do. Has any raw collector experienced this attitude change?

I think it's a natural progression that may change or evolve as you grow.

Obviously most will want the best that they can afford and I prefer high grade but I am totally happy with presentable mid grade copies of books that I have where maybe a few years ago I wouldn't have been.

You are not a worse collector if your collection does not stack up to those of others....or even your perception of those of others.

Enjoy what you have. Work towards building better if that's what makes you happy and receive enjoyment and fulfillment, but don't do it if it causes you stress or anxiety.

Don't worry how your collection compares.

Comparing possessions has been around since the dawn of time, and is a fool's game.

Be happy with what you have. The smallest, newest collection is just as pride worthy in its own way as the biggest, most expensive collection on earth. And if someone tells you different, they are only fooling themselves.

Every time I think of my collection, I feel this ----> :cloud9:

I'm so happy with it, and what it represents.

That doesn't mean I'm not always buying more.

But if I had to stop buying forever, I'd still be happy...nay, ecstatic...with what I've assembled over the years.

Does that mean it's in the top 100 collections on this board? I seriously doubt that. Probably top 10 in terms of quantity, but nowhere near that in terms of value and age. And that's ok. It makes me very...fulfilled...every time I stop to think about it.

Everyone should feel that way.

I'm so happy with it, and what it represents.

That doesn't mean I'm not always buying more.

But if I had to stop buying forever, I'd still be happy...nay, ecstatic...with what I've assembled over the years.

Does that mean it's in the top 100 collections on this board? I seriously doubt that. Probably top 10 in terms of quantity, but and nowhere near that in terms of value and age. And that's ok. It makes me very...fulfilled...every time I stop to think about it.

Everyone should feel that way.

Minor adjustments made, but yeah, this sums it up for me. Sure, there's more I'm hoping to add to my collection, but I really enjoy what I've been accomplishing with my books over the past couple of years. I suppose I only really look at other peoples' books to get an idea as to new books I may or may not like, but I don't try to get into a competitive mindset where I'm sizing up my collection to see how compares to others. Of course, I'm not saying this is exactly where you're coming from either.

I think progression in one's collecting is natural. If you've found your collection lacking in terms of your personal interest in the material, then perhaps it is time to begin looking for some new focus/inspiration. Try to explore new facets of the hobby as there surely are many to be found: OA, Signatures, various genres, etc. I've taken a real keen interest in Golden Age Superman and Batman books, and it seems to possess a very different appeal to me than my other Silver Age Marvel books.

Hope you find something inspirational!

I think progression in one's collecting is natural. If you've found your collection lacking in terms of your personal interest in the material, then perhaps it is time to begin looking for some new focus/inspiration. Try to explore new facets of the hobby as there surely are many to be found: OA, Signatures, various genres, etc. I've taken a real keen interest in Golden Age Superman and Batman books, and it seems to possess a very different appeal to me than my other Silver Age Marvel books.

Hope you find something inspirational!

Just to add on to this, because it's spot on: there is SOOOOO much you can do in terms of different focuses in comics. I started with Bats, back in 1989-1990. I went as far with that as I could really go (100-up, Tec #226-up), because even though I would love to have a complete run, the value for the money spent just wasn't in it for me. Granted, I have a gorgeous Batman #9, had a 10, and have about 25 below #100, but to me, the cost to obtain these was not giving me the psychic benefit that that kind of money should have brought.

So I discovered...Star Spangled Comics! And Voila! I had a Bat related title that was ridiculously cheap compared to the correlary Bat books. I'm working on a run of #65-130 as we speak.

I also discovered...Star Spangled War Stories Dino books from #90-137! The early issues are verrrry tough to find, especially in decent condition. My collection, after about 7 years now, is missing only a nice copy of #92!

Then, I discovered...DC Silver Age War! Tough, tough books to find in ANY grade above VG prior to 1962. Plus...I mean, come on, gorgeous Kubert artwork, greytone covers...what's not to love?

Then, I discovered...Kirby Westerns! I just completed my Rawhide Kid #17-up with a #17 in G/VG. Let me tell you, #17-#30 are TOUGH books to find, in any shape! That set took me about 7 years to complete, too. Oh, sure, I could have completed it in a month if I'd been willing to throw stupid money around...but the biggest part of the hunt is NOT spending stupid money, and still finding the books.

See, there's so much you can get into, the sky's the limit with regards to comics. If you're growing tired with what you have, try something different. The possibilities are endless!

Natural progression. Go with it!

I've shown this before but what the hey.

I love Golden Age, GGA books. One of my favorites is Rangers 26. I started out with a decent, although brittle paged copy. Then I upgraded. Then I upgraded again to the top census (tied) pedigree copy. Each time I sold the undercopy. During that time I just had the burning desire to own the best, highest graded, etc...

But, once I had "the best" copy, I found that it really didn't bring me the enjoyment that I thought it would. So I sold it. Eventually, I picked up a nice, presentable, mid-grade copy that currently sits in my collection and I'm perfectly content with it. Not too mention the price difference allowed me to pick up some other nice books.

Do what's going to make you happy. And if you find it that it doesn't, then keep on trying different things.

sgt4bc.jpg

RangersComics_26_9-2.jpg

Rangers26BigApple.jpg

Rangers26Front65OW2W.jpg

Natural progression. Go with it!

I've shown this before but what the hey.

I love Golden Age, GGA books. One of my favorites is Rangers 26. I started out with a decent, although brittle paged copy. Then I upgraded. Then I upgraded again to the top census (tied) pedigree copy. Each time I sold the undercopy. During that time I just had the burning desire to own the best, highest graded, etc...

But, once I had "the best" copy, I found that it really didn't bring me the enjoyment that I thought it would. So I sold it. Eventually, I picked up a nice, presentable, mid-grade copy that currently sits in my collection and I'm perfectly content with it. Not too mention the price difference allowed me to pick up some other nice books.

Do what's going to make you happy. And if you find it that it doesn't, then keep on trying different things.

sgt4bc.jpg

RangersComics_26_9-2.jpg

Rangers26BigApple.jpg

Rangers26Front65OW2W.jpg

Man, that Big Apple copy is smoking! Do you mind me asking where you sold it?

Keep in mind that a collection is the bringing together in one place, objects that previously existed apart. Together your books create new meaning.

You may have many significant mini-collections within the whole.

Reflect upon your collection as an exercise in appreciating art and writing; in understanding or reliving popular culture; in recapturing the peace and calm of a more protected time in your live.

It should only be a competition in its final stage of understanding.

Best wishes.

And that's ok. It makes me very...fulfilled...every time I stop to think about it.Everyone should feel that way.

A perfect description, We should all have the feeling of "fulfilled", Sounds completely accurate when I think of the few, choice books, I love so much.

Bunky

Affordable copies of books I like. The less I spend, the more I have. In another life I might have been a high grade collector.

Same here. I don't get this high-grade/slabbing mentality. As long as the book is decent (subjective, I know, to each their own) and readable and complete, I'm happy. I know my Avengers #1 & 4 are probably low grade and the eye appeal is there for me. I feel guilty if I spent thousands of dollars on one comic. As the post says above, the less I spend the more I have (to spend on even more comics).

How do you guys afford this stuff and when some bozo pays a ridiculous amount of money for a comic, you just encourage these insane dealers thinking they're going to get rich off their hordes of old comics. I pray there is never a price guide for pulps!

If I cant tell the grade of a slabbed book from what it looks like 5 ft away its meaningless to me.

If there is multiples of difference in the price paid for those books that is a fool and his money being separated and unless you are in it to make money off the herd mentality, then I hope you know when the last note is played in this game of musical chairs.

That is not a game I am equipped nor wish to play.