• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OUCH !!!! ............. if you "invested" in Thor 9.8 Simonson run

99 posts in this topic

one sale of a pretty undesirable issue isn't going to do a whole lot to suss other copies out there

Every 9.8 copy in the run has sold for about $100 or more according to GPA.

I guess comic dealers are so rich they don't need to submit all their mint copies of this run and collect the $100.

What's not to like for Batman fans about this title?

Batman on many covers, giant size issues, dollar size issues, Marshall Rogers art, Starlin, Golden, etc.

There are a lot "worse" comics out there that people actively collect. 2c

one sale of a pretty undesirable issue isn't going to do a whole lot to suss other copies out there

I guess comic dealers are so rich they don't need to submit all their mint copies of this run and collect the $100.

Batman on many covers, giant size issues, dollar size issues, Marshall Rogers art, Starlin, Golden, etc.

$100 isn't much of a financial motivator with a title that has a limited audience. If a few hit the $300 mark, then you might see some shake loose.

So, are you what you collect is better than what someone else collects? :baiting:

So, are you what you collect is better than what someone else collects? :baiting:

It was my response to the suggestion thet BATMAN FAMILY was not worth collecting, and that I was basically the only person that wanted slabbed copies.

That's fine, it means less price competition when I bid on them.

I won't have to pay crazy money for the books I want.

This is not :news: .

These books have never been rare in high grade. In my opinion, nothing after 1966 or 1967 is rare in high grade. It just hasn't come to market yet. That's why I no longer bother with top census books. It's a moot point.

Yeah, What he said! :golfclap:

you don't know many comic dealers, i take it.

very few in my experience would spend a whole lot of time poring through their inventory in search of a book that might sell for $100 if it hits 9.8, unless they've just come across a new collection. and even then they're going for the low-hanging fruit first, second, third and so on.

your mileage may vary

It may have been. I would think that if this person who obtained these boxes of comics he is selling on Ebay, actually got anything he thought was worthwhile to piece meal out. He would have them now going to CGC (or maybe PGX, or both) and will sell them one at a time, without letting anyone except CGC know about it. By the time they are noticed on the census, many will have been sold for top prices. Conspiracy theory I know. But it seems likely that there are boxes of comics he has obtained that he hasn't put up for sale yet.

Maybe Miracleman 15. Maybe Goon and Walking Dead stuff. Maybe ________ (fill in the blank). We shall see what surfaces over the next year.

Think about it. If you came across a case of unopened (since published) Thor's with the first appearance of Beta Ray, or a case of ASM 300's or 301's. Would you tell anyone? Or would you submit and sell until the party was over?

I wish they would find a case of thor 380 and 381. That's all i need to finish my run.

(thumbs u Two comments here:

1) A 9.8 is still a 9.8 - it's a packaged commodity;

2) It's NeatStuff . . . fergawdsakes - who knows what you're going to actually get? :insane:

I once went through an entire box of spider-man 500s. a store was going out of business had them for sale at something like a buck a piece. I was lucky to find maybe 2 9.8s in the entire box. There were dings and imperfections on just about every copy.

Now I really wonder what percentage in a typical box would truly qualify as 9.8?

I'm sure a dealer would have more experience, but that was mine.

just buy the box and have it cross-shipped to CGC for a 9.8 prescreen.

probably get enough to pay for the box, the grading and the shipping, then you'd have 296 raw copies of the book left over for your own enjoyment and who wouldn't love that