• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OUCH !!!! ............. if you "invested" in Thor 9.8 Simonson run

99 posts in this topic

That run was as about as good a read as your going to ever come across [although I am digging the Blackest Night arc a lot]. Love the latest Beta Ray Bill arc and just re-read the previous one. :cloud9:

" Who is this who so cavalierly tosses the God of Thunder like some freshly mown bail of hay !?? "..... :cloud9: I almost liked that Simonson stuff better than Stan and Jack....classic. I bought 3 copies of each issue when they came out. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

That run was as about as good a read as your going to ever come across [although I am digging the Blackest Night arc a lot]. Love the latest Beta Ray Bill arc and just re-read the previous one. :cloud9:

" Who is this who so cavalierly tosses the God of Thunder like some new mown bail of hay !?? "..... :cloud9: I almost liked that Simonson stuff better than Stan and Jack....classic. I bought 3 copies of each issue when they came out. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

agreed, I hope the Thor movie is based on the Simonson run, now 337 wasn`t ordered like the rest, we could have New Murants 98 potential there if Beta Ray Bill is in the movie.

kind of makes you wonder if the CGC 9.8 craze is the repeat of the 90's gotta have the

number one with the holographic, diecut, embossed glow in the dark cover scenario!

:P

It probably is. For many people, there's an imperceptible difference between 9.6 and 9.8 comics, other than the label. On top of that, I wonder how many people will care about 9.6 vs 9.8 in 5 years? That's really the predictor of a crash.

or 9.4.I Must get the magnifying glass out :D

So it's not just me?

Fair enough on the economics striking again. However one thing the news won't tell you is how much inflation is going on in this economy right now and for what our collecting hobby is worth, how much inflation is not affecting prices of comics.

You can't use a book with almost infinite supply to gauge how well comics are holding up as an asset class in an inflationary environment.

Not to mention we are in a debt-deflationary depression, quite the opposite of an inflationary environment. :makepoint:

Fair enough on the economics striking again. However one thing the news won't tell you is how much inflation is going on in this economy right now and for what our collecting hobby is worth, how much inflation is not affecting prices of comics.

You can't use a book with almost infinite supply to gauge how well comics are holding up as an asset class in an inflationary environment.

Not to mention we are in a debt-deflationary depression, quite the opposite of an inflationary environment. :makepoint:

Do you really read the threads or do you just run a search every morning for threads with economic terms? :baiting:

for the time being there has some deflation -- particularly on your big ticket purchases like homes, cars, etc. i haven't really seen it at the grocery store, although at least the price bumps caused by $4+ gasoline seem to have been a one-time thing, but it's not like they rolled back prices either.

OTOH, I got some USDA Prime Sirloin for $3.99/LB the other day....

wih that said, at some point trillion dollar deficits and the effective printing of huge wads of money will counteract a lot of this deflation.

Do you really read the threads or do you just run a search every morning for threads with economic terms? :baiting:

What are you talking about - I am one of those with a 9.8 Simonson Thor run, one of my favorites of all-time. :baiting:

The thought of buying a case of #339 or #340 is mildly tempting... :whistle:

As for inflation/deflation, for all the Fed's money-printing, who here has more money to spend, who here has a house that's more valuable, who here has more access to credit than 18 months ago? Tough to get inflation when credit is being destroyed faster than money is created, when factories are running at 2/3rds capacity, when unemployment is on the verge of double-digits (and already well into double-digits if you count the involuntarily underemployed), when oil and commodity prices have collapsed off of last year's highs and when the dollar, for all its recent foibles, is well off of last year's lows. Prices are falling everywhere I look - restaurants are offering deals, NYC rents are plummeting - I know people who renewed for as much as 40% off of last year's rate (on higher-end apartments, of course), retailers are in perpetual fire sale mode. Inflation? Talk to me after we work through the debt deflation... :juggle:

when the folks at Goldman and Citi, et al. start spending their huge bonuses made possible by the good graces of the government maybe that'll pump some money back into the economy...at least among mercedes and rolex dealers.

when the folks at Goldman and Citi, et al. start spending their huge bonuses made possible by the good graces of the government maybe that'll pump some money back into the economy...at least among mercedes and rolex dealers.

Well said Blob

What are you talking about - I am one of those with a 9.8 Simonson Thor run, one of my favorites of all-time. :baiting:

As for inflation/deflation, for all the Fed's money-printing, who here has more money to spend, who here has a house that's more valuable, who here has more access to credit than 18 months ago? Tough to get inflation when credit is being destroyed faster than money is created, when factories are running at 2/3rds capacity, when unemployment is on the verge of double-digits (and already well into double-digits if you count the involuntarily underemployed), when oil and commodity prices have collapsed off of last year's highs and when the dollar, for all its recent foibles, is well off of last year's lows. Prices are falling everywhere I look - restaurants are offering deals, NYC rents are plummeting - I know people who renewed for as much as 40% off of last year's rate (on higher-end apartments, of course), retailers are in perpetual fire sale mode. Inflation? Talk to me after we work through the debt deflation... :juggle:

Inflation Deflation..whateve... meh The Dollars EFFED!, the American people are EFFED ! :pullhair:

Well said Blob

+infinity

I know people who renewed for as much as 40% off of last year's rate (on higher-end apartments, of course),

----------------------

thank goodness! that means my friend in finance who is paying $10K/mo rent for his apartment, has a stay at home wife and TWO NANNIES (well, he has 2 kids, so you need 2 nannies, right?) and looks all stressed out will have some money to spare for a decent Hamptons rental in August. He was dead set against spending $40K for one measley month. I was really feeling bad for him.

Inflation Deflation..whateve... meh The Dollars EFFED!, the American people are EFFED ! :pullhair:

You too huh? :insane:

:gossip: buy Gold

(ahhhhh, I love circles.)

No, because thanks to the law of unintended consequences, all the public screaming about huge bonuses has translated into... higher base salaries at the banks!

The thing that people and legislators need to understand is that one way or another, bankers and others in the financial industry will pay themselves a lot of money. It's just a question of how the money is allocated between discretionary compensation (ie, bonus) and fixed base salary.

So now they're going to be paid a much larger amount as a fixed component that must be paid to them every month no matter what and is not tied in any way to performance. And when the TARP money has been repaid and performance finally gets better, guess what? They're going to keep paying themselves the high base salaries AND pay themselves the huge bonuses of yore.

I use to own about 100 BA/CA Thor in CGC 9.8 and pretty much every Simonson Thor issue but I defintely bought them for the love of the books not an investment. A few years ago I could never understand why certain issues, especially ones with better covers were so far to find or had a couple in the census but issues like #342, #344 were available at every turn?

I remember Thor #337 very well... When, it came out, by the time #338-339 hit the stands, local comic stores had already jacked up the price on #337s. My LCS was offering to buy copies of #337 and #338 for $10 and $5 if I remember correctly. ($.60 cent cover price)

They probably corrected their orders by #339 or #340 and EVERYONE ordered it in quantity after that. I know that as a teenager with a Westfield Comics account, I personally ordered over 45 copies of Thor #340 (and multiples of subsequent issues)

I admit I personally cleaned out all the copies of 338-339 (and any #337s) I could find from my local drugstores. :angel:

I remember Million Year Picnic putting a limit on 337 of either 2 or 5 copies per purchase. (can't remember about 338). I ws caught up in the buzz then and bought several copies of 337, but tried reading it and got confused. It was around that time I started looking back into SA and then pre-code.

No, because thanks to the law of unintended consequences, all the public screaming about huge bonuses has translated into... higher base salaries at the banks!

The thing that people and legislators need to understand is that one way or another, bankers and others in the financial industry will pay themselves a lot of money. It's just a question of how the money is allocated between discretionary compensation (ie, bonus) and fixed base salary.

So now they're going to be paid a much larger amount as a fixed component that must be paid to them every month no matter what and is not tied in any way to performance. And when the TARP money has been repaid and performance finally gets better, guess what? They're going to keep paying themselves the high base salaries AND pay themselves the huge bonuses of yore.

Unfortunately... (thumbs u

The only way to truly address the issue is via direct government intervention...remuneration caps and the suchlike...but why stop at the banks? Why not cap everybody's salary package? (shrug)

Like it or not, the men in charge of the money are always going to be able to determine just how much of it they skim off the top. :(

I should get into banking.

I should get into banking.

I told you not to go to law school! :makepoint: