• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

silverage collecting, whats its lifespan?

63 posts in this topic

A few semi-random thoughts:

Silver Age: I think it's quite possible that low-grade SA books will continue to appreciate at a decent clip, and might even outpace high grade at some point, given the much broader market for them. Many, many people are now priced out of the high grade SA realm, on all but a few secondary or tertiary titles. Those newer, younger, and/or lower-income collectors will soon have only the low- to mid-grade issues to choose from, due to price and scarcity of HG copies. I can easily imagine a scenario 10-20 years from now when the HG copies of ASM, FF, TTA and so forth are for sale in antiques galleries and art showrooms, while the low-grade copies are available on eBay and elsewhere - for 5-10x their current going rates.

Golden Age: I think the best hope for much of the GA market is some sort of broadening of the market to include collectors of other 'antiques'. Yes, there will always be a core community of high-end comic book collectors who appreciate GA books, but for fairly random, non-key books like March of Comics #123 or Walt Disney's Comics & Stories #65 or Four Color #74, the market may be buoyed by antiques collectors/buyers/dealers who view 60-80 year old comics as true "Americana" in a way that hasn't really happened yet. They're the same people who might pick up a copy of LIFE from 1939 because it's from the month they (or their father/mother) were born, or because it's got a topical cover, or simply because it reflects a long-lost but not forgotten period in the history of America, and in particular the history of popular media in America.

A few semi-random thoughts:

Silver Age: I think it's quite possible that low-grade SA books will continue to appreciate at a decent clip, and might even outpace high grade at some point, given the much broader market for them. Many, many people are now priced out of the high grade SA realm, on all but a few secondary or tertiary titles. Those newer, younger, and/or lower-income collectors will soon have only the low- to mid-grade issues to choose from, due to price and scarcity of HG copies. I can easily imagine a scenario 10-20 years from now when the HG copies of ASM, FF, TTA and so forth are for sale in antiques galleries and art showrooms, while the low-grade copies are available on eBay and elsewhere - for 5-10x their current going rates.

Garth, if your right, im gonna be rich in a few decades. I like your way of thinking. I hope your right. cool.gif

That's why I used the illustration that I also have a couple friends that do as well. However...All that money from my father to me is tied up in houses. The money I'm actually using is what I gained through investments in Microware..if you don't know what that is just ask Delekwhatever..he knows all the answers.

Brian

You are far from the regular joe my friend. I appluad you for having such great investments. Some people make enough money off of investments so they don't need a real job. Maybe you are one of them. I hope to be there myself someday. Still working...