• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics will be worthless in 1 year

126 posts in this topic

Yeah, kids can be mean as the devil himself...have you ever experienced the pleasure of having someone on your coat without your knowledge? It happened to me when I was a kid. I come from a poor to middle class home, and there were years when I was young that my parents really struggled to make ends meet. My folks are good, honest, hard working people, and they mean so much to me, I don't know what I would do without them.

Speaking of kids and urine. My daughter came to me early one morning and asked if I had crapped in the trash. I said "WHAT!?!?". She said well someone did, because there is a turd right on top of the trash.

It took about half a second for the tumblers to click and I yelled "TYLER!!!!". My son (4 at the time) comes out, and he knows that I am not happy. "What Dad" he says in his most concerned tone. "You wouldn't by some chance have crapped in the trash would you?" I asked him. "Well Dad", he says. "I got up in the night to go potty, and the light was not on in the bathroom, and it was way to dark and scary. The light was on in the kitchen though so I went in there".

At this point I am having a bit of a battle of emotions with myself. I am outraged and disgusted that he crapped in the trash, and I am fighting the urge to giggle like a maniac at the picture in my head of him balancing his rear end on the edge of the trash can while doing his business. I managed to control the laughter and tell him very sternly that the bathroom was the only place where this was acceptable.

Phil

I AM ROLLING MAN! HAHAHAHAHHAHA

Yeah, he is something alright. We were at a wedding reception one time and he was sitting next to me. He got up for something (Hopefully he used the bathroom if that is what he was doing) and my brother sat next to me to talk. Tyler came back and looked at my brother, saying nothing. My brother said "Oh, is this your chair Tyler". Tyler gives a couple of quick nods. I said Tyler just grab another chair (there were several empty ones at another table). I continue talking to my brother and a couple minutes later I realize Tyler has not returned. I said "Where is Tyler"? We look around and I spot him ... sitting at a table with a bunch of total strangers from the Grooms side. I had never met any of them and Tyler is sitting right smack in the middle of them all casually looking around. I walked over and gently explained that when we said "grab another chair" we were referring to the fact that he could get a chair and pull it over with us. The people found it amusing luckily, but I did notice that they were looking at him rather strangely before I had gone over there.

Phil

Another particularly eye opening experience, was when one day we noticed a particularly foul stench coming from Tyler's room (This was only VERY shortly after the incident with the kitchen trash). I asked him about it and he pled ignorance. I said "Come on Tyler, there is NO WAY you couldn't notice THAT". Still he claimed to know nothing of the source of the horrible odor.

It was time to begin a search. After searching for maybe 10 minutes the smell seemed to be getting less offensive. Suddenly it returned with a vengeance. My gag reflex kicked in and I thought I was going to lose it. I realized that the only thing that had changed was that the furnace had kicked on. Slowly working my way to the register vent (retching all the way) I removed the cover. My next action was a mistake pure and simple. Had I not been on the verge of projectile vomiting at the time, I might have thought this through more clearly, but ... I plunged my hand into the now open register.

The duct work seemed to be coated with a sticky substance, and when I removed my hand and looked at it, I knew instantly just what my treasure was. My hand was covered in semi dried urine. "TYLERRRRRR!!!!, DID YOU PEE IN THIS REGISTER VENT"?

You are probably already way ahead of me here, but it was October and the heat had only been running for a couple of days. Tyler however had been using the register vent as a personal bathroom for weeks, and the reason why? You guessed it, way too dark and scary to use the bathroom. The bathroom light has been left on at night ever since.

Phil

I really don't like to talk about myself. So this is very hard for me, but here goes. You won't find out who I am from this but at least you'll know a little more about me then you did before. Enjoy!

I grew up in the 50's in a middle class neighborhood in a big city with two brothers and one sister. Went to a Catholic grammer school there. I think every nun hated us kids, but we had a lot going on back then and so much cool new stuff just coming at us. TV was fairly new, rock & roll was the latest music, and those silver age superhero comics were poping up. I got hooked on comics at a very early age. Plus my dad read comics long before I was around. So that is where I get my comic influance.

As we grew up, my high school buddy's and I started a garage band. I played the drums. Eventually we got good and made a record. One of our songs did make the charts. I guess we are one of those one-hit-wonder bands. You still hear the song on the oldies radio every now and then. But I'm not saying what song it is. Once when we were going to play for a big concert I just froze. I was scared s&$tless and this brough on some kind of stage fright that I still deal with today. I can go into crowds as long as the attention is not at me. Go figure. So I'm some kind of semi-recluse.

Married. Marriage probably saved my life. Two kids. Boy and girl. One just graduated college, one in college. Wife and I both work. I love to write and have had some of my stuff published under a pen name. I love to build plastic models. I also collect TV Horror Host stuff and have a amazing collection of horror hosted shows that go back to the 50's. And I have probably one of the biggest comic book collections around. Not claiming the biggest. Just one of the biggest. Around 10,000+ comics. Dating back to when my dad bought them. Dad gave me all his golden age comics and he was the one that told me they'd be worth something someday. So during my teen years I was already protecting them. All the comcis I've ever bought since the late 60's were carefully taken care of with the intension of being one of the best collections to ever be found someday. I'm hoping someday my comic collection will be considered a pedigree. I know it won't get me anything, but just think if it ever became one, I could say; "Hey! That pedgree! That was one of mine!" That be cool.

My son is into music. Plays bass guitar. He has his own garage band that practices in my basement once in a while. My daughter is an interior architect. She's done some set design for movie stuff and TV. And me, I'm just sitting back enjoying life as my wife thinks of something new for me to do around the house.

As we grew up, my high school buddy's and I started a garage band. I played the drums.

Ahhh, the drums. My dad had a band for years. I occasionally performed with them, and if it weren't for the drummer I don't know how many times I would have been lost. That drummers name is Cal and he is a friend to this day. He saved me from embarassment more than once.

Phil

10,000 comics? WoW! That is a big collection. I would guess that I currently have somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,000. If you don't mind my asking, what does it primarily consist of? Golden Age/Silver Age? What type of comics do you have the most of? Horror, Romance, Westerns, War, Disney, Superhero? Do you still read comic books today (including TPB's, etc.)?

i actually have an uncle who has over 20,000 comics. shocked.gif

he is a dc completist and has bought everything they have put out since the early 80's. i believe he also has a whole buch of silver and golden age stuff too. haven't seen them all myself, he is very protective of his comic books, plus i don't have a great deal of interest in dc stuff.

20,000? That is about how many were in the Mile High/Edgar Church collection. I can understand his being protective of them. Where does he have room to store such a massive collection? I don't know how old your uncle is, but has he ever considered selling some of them? There are plenty of people such as Joanna, and myself that have interest in DC books.

I am proud to say that I have a high grade nearly complete run of the "DC Comics Presents" title, the DC Team-Up title somewhat like the "Marvel Team-Up" title.

he has an entire room in his house dedicated to just the comics (he is 45? years old). and no he won't be selling them anytime soon, he is still buying. grin.gif

i think the current rate of expansion is about 1,000 per year shocked.gif

Thanks for asking Man_of_Steel. BTW; I have a leather jacket that has that on it.

My collection of DC's is probably about 40% and just about all Batman stuff with others mixed in. Near complete runs on the Batman stuff.

Marvels probably 50% just about everything from the 60's &70's Complete runs of most.

About 10% of mixed stuff like Charston, Classic Illustrated, Treasure Chest (from grammer school), and other.

guesstimates

20% golden

60% silver

10% bronze

10% modern

Any of my books I have graded that are from 1968 an up grade 9.0 and higher. I've had a few older ones grade high also. But most of the older stuff was handled more and grades lower. I'm confident my 70's books are all near mint books.

Hope that answers your question.

Oh! I still buy some of the new comics. Especially Batman and Detective.

NAME: Dan Cusimano

AGE: I am 37 years old. Dear God in Heaven, how in the hell did THAT happen?

ORIGIN/FIRST APPEARANCE: Was created in the Midwest. Grew up in the rich white bleak suburbs of Chicagoland in the 70s and early 80s. "Class" was filmed at the house of my 6th grade girlfriend.

PHYSICAL APPEARANCE: Cross Tom Hanks with John Goodman. Add a beard.

CURRENT DOMICILE: Reston, Virginia. Northwest of DC, near Dulles Airport. You can see my house if you're flying in from the northwest. A good point to impress your kids.

MARITAL STATUS: I have been married for 13 years to my best friend. I met her the second day of college. We didn't start dating until 5 years after that. She was the other housemate with my girlfriend and I. I tell people that my house was like Three's Company . I was Jack. Jack was sleeping with Chrissy. But Jack married Janet.

OTHER HOUSEHOLD MAMMALS: I have two children, a 7 year old and a 2 year old, and a small, quite stupid dog. The dog is nice, though, so we put up with her debutante ways.

OCCUPATION: I'm a proposal manager for a large publicly traded systems integrator. In my spare time I run the Flying Donut Trading Company (consignments always welcome!) and watch with horror the leaves falling onto my lawn.

FIRST COMIC BOUGHT: Fantastic Four 160. My friend Mark in the 5th grade was into comics big time and he pulled me in. I remember poaching his copy of Giant Size X-Men 1 and reading it on a bean bag chair while drinking grape soda. I think I spilled the soda on the splash page.

FAVORITE SPORTS TEAMS: The Chicago Bears, the Chicago Cubs, American University sports (undergraduate), Wake Forest sports (graduate school).

I'm curious, I've never met a proposal manager..what does the avg proposal manager make? And what exactly do your duties entail? I understand you write business proposals but do you also have to calculate cost, man-hours, etc?

Brian

Iwhat does the avg proposal manager make?

it depends on where you're working. The senior proposal managers at the firm I'm at run great big proposals, and as such, are paid a big fat pile. Here's a good number - at Unisys, senior proposal managers make in the 115-120K range. I'm not anywhere near that, but I'm doing OK. A good high level proposal manager is like an elite level athlete - there aren't many of them and there's a big demand. To carry the sports analogy further, I'm currently the hot young prospect in AA ball, looking for my call up to the Big Show.

[i}And what exactly do your duties entail? I understand you write business proposals but do you also have to calculate cost, man-hours, etc?[/i]

I don't do a whole lot of original writing, but I do a LOT of editing. I'm also in charge of creating the entire schedule for the proposal, creating the "team" of writers who will craft the response, working with our cretinous legal department to approve everything, developing the cost proposal and riding herd over the whole thing. Basically what my job entails is making sure we deliver a proposal to the procurement office on time.

Do you have to have a lawyer write this stuff up officially? I've found in real estate a lot of times lawyers are trying to get realtors to let them fill out the purchase contract, and the disclosure b/c they say "realtors are practicing law without a license". Do you guys have this problem?

Brian