• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Buy the book, not the label": A visual demonstration...

93 posts in this topic

BC stain killed grade, but the FC looks sweet.

These "looks 9.x but this one defect killed it" books are probably my favorite kinds of grading examples. Here's a Silver Surfer 1 that by all appearances looks like a 9.8, but you can see from the old-style label notes what killed it. I cracked this book out to see how big the stain is--it's about 2" wide by 1" tall on the interior front cover, top edge. No trace of it is visible on the outer cover.

ss1.jpg

Is that a stain on the very top edge, above the word "comic" in "Worlds greatest comic magazine!" ?

Yep, it's a water stain. Steve Lauterbach later told drummy and I that he submitted this book, and if I remember correctly, some water dripped off his car onto the side of a stack of books he was carrying back from the home of the original owner. BAM, top-census FF #13 de-fanged into the best-looking 9.2 I've ever seen. :makepoint::cloud9:

Wow, your beautiful FF#13 got jack-hammered compared to this eBay CGC 9.2. Maybe it's something a "NM" can't technically have, but what a huge difference between "NM minus" books, when you can see visible stain-lines from across the room. :screwy:

ccddan1.gif

Is that a stain on the very top edge, above the word "comic" in "Worlds greatest comic magazine!" ?

Yep, it's a water stain. Steve Lauterbach later told drummy and I that he submitted this book, and if I remember correctly, some water dripped off his car onto the side of a stack of books he was carrying back from the home of the original owner. BAM, top-census FF #13 de-fanged into the best-looking 9.2 I've ever seen. :makepoint::cloud9:

Wow, your beautiful FF#13 got jack-hammered compared to this eBay CGC 9.2. Maybe it's something a "NM" can't technically have, but what a huge difference between "NM minus" books, when you can see visible stain-lines from across the room. :screwy:

ccddan1.gif

That post is not in the spirit of the thread. The over graded mess thread is down the hall and to the left. :makepoint:

No trace of it is visible on the outer cover.

Well...hmmm...this is the first time I've looked at this scan on this monitor I'm currently using. I can't see that stain with the book in hand, but looking at this scan on my monitor with the brightness set rather high, you actually can see it. :flamed:

It had an indentation on the edge of the back cover, most likely from a string or an elastic band that was holding it in a bundle with other copies. It was pretty deep. Also, there was quite a bit of ink transfer on the back, which tells me that it was stacked with other copies for quite a while. Other than that, it was flawless.

In retrospect, do you now think most of that damage was reversible via pressing?

There were attempts to press that book after I sold it, and they were unsuccessful. I guess it was a little too deep.

I regret selling it, only because I'll probably never find a copy that presents as nicely for the price I paid.

How much of your collection do you have left?

That post is not in the spirit of the thread. The over graded mess thread is down the hall and to the left. :makepoint:

"Buy the book, not the label": A visual demonstration..." :gossip::makepoint:

:whistle:

So, all this talk of record breaking sales of top-census books, label buying, and fugly books sitting in the wrong holders, has really got me appreciating those books that look better than the grades given. With prices where they are, and with so many books being "potentialized", I think it's more important than ever to "buy the book".

Whether it's a 2.0 that looks like a 4.5, or a 9.6 that looks like a 9.8, let's see what you've got. :popcorn:

Hmmmmm...you're making me want to resubmit. :shy: Either Haspel isn't as hard on minor staining as Borock was, or they just automatically bump books down to certain levels if they have a certain amount of stains. My FF #13 was originally graded in 2001, then resubmitted in 2003--any idea when your DD Annual 1 was graded? :wishluck:

Hmmmmm...you're making me want to resubmit. :shy: Either Haspel isn't as hard on minor staining as Borock was, or they just automatically bump books down to certain levels if they have a certain amount of stains. My FF #13 was originally graded in 2001, then resubmitted in 2003--any idea when your DD Annual 1 was graded? :wishluck:

Haspel is very harsh on stains. Do NOT resub that book or you will be disappointed.

(tsk)

That Daredevil has foxing which is graded differently than water staining. Overstreet and CGC allow a lot more foxing than they do staining in higher grades.

ccddan1.gif

Is it possible that this book got exposed to some moisture after being slabbed? I can't imagine how that would have graded a 9.2

"Buy the book, not the label": A visual demonstration..." :gossip::makepoint:

:whistle:

So, all this talk of record breaking sales of top-census books, label buying, and fugly books sitting in the wrong holders, has really got me appreciating those books that look better than the grades given. With prices where they are, and with so many books being "potentialized", I think it's more important than ever to "buy the book".

Whether it's a 2.0 that looks like a 4.5, or a 9.6 that looks like a 9.8, let's see what you've got. :popcorn:

Alright, alright, you win. :blush:

Scold me Doctor,...please...scold me. :luhv::insane:

8.0 with back cover stain

8.5 with back cover wear

8.0 with tiny Marvel pre chip out.

9.0 with back cover wear

If all 8.0 to 9.0 books had extremely subtle defects like these, or particularly BACK-COVER defects--I'd never buy anything else BUT these lower-end-of-high-grade books. :cloud9: Who looks at the back cover more than once or twice briefly anyway? (shrug)

That Daredevil has foxing which is graded differently than water staining. Overstreet and CGC allow a lot more foxing than they do staining in higher grades.

Hmm. What's the highest-graded example anyone's seen with plainly visible foxing? hm

It had an indentation on the edge of the back cover, most likely from a string or an elastic band that was holding it in a bundle with other copies. It was pretty deep. Also, there was quite a bit of ink transfer on the back, which tells me that it was stacked with other copies for quite a while. Other than that, it was flawless.

In retrospect, do you now think most of that damage was reversible via pressing?

There were attempts to press that book after I sold it, and they were unsuccessful. I guess it was a little too deep.

I regret selling it, only because I'll probably never find a copy that presents as nicely for the price I paid.

How much of your collection do you have left?

My previous collection? Only one book. I've added a few since, so I guess you could say I'm collecting again. I'm just going a lot slower.

8.0 with back cover stain

8.5 with back cover wear

8.0 with tiny Marvel pre chip out.

9.0 with back cover wear

If all 8.0 to 9.0 books had extremely subtle defects like these, or particularly BACK-COVER defects--I'd never buy anything else BUT these lower-end-of-high-grade books. :cloud9: Who looks at the back cover more than once or twice briefly anyway? (shrug)

...well I do but since I can't afford 9.4 or better on these books (and some don't even exist in those grades) I've learned to compromise with myself.

:insane:

I actually have to push hard to get past any defects...especially for SA Marvels because to me they really need to be high grade for some reason.

I'm such an elitist.

:slapfight:

No, I'm not. I just happen to have my grandmother's eyes. She could thread a needle at 85.