• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Buy the book, not the label": A visual demonstration...

93 posts in this topic

So, all this talk of record breaking sales of top-census books, label buying, and fugly books sitting in the wrong holders, has really got me appreciating those books that look better than the grades given. With prices where they are, and with so many books being "potentialized", I think it's more important than ever to "buy the book".

Whether it's a 2.0 that looks like a 4.5, or a 9.6 that looks like a 9.8, let's see what you've got. :popcorn:

I'll get the ball rolling. I've seen 9.8s for both these issues that don't present nearly as well:

ASM122-3.jpg

ASM124.jpg

BTW, if this thread doesn't catch on, I'm turning it into "The Babe Test Part Deux".

You've all been warned.

BTW, if this thread doesn't catch on, I'm turning it into "The Babe Test Part Deux".

You've all been warned.

More like Part 20! hm

Or this. 8.0 vs 8.5

Jungle10280.jpg

Jungle10285.jpg

Wow, that's quite drastic. I'd take the 8.0 without a second look.

And then there's always this CGC 6.5;

JIM89009.jpg

seems there's a missing chunk out of an interior page (margin only)... I must have read this one a few times too many 47 years ago... :(

(worship)

Andrew, if you pimp that 122 any more, you are going to get picked up for pandering.

I know. It's so unlike me to pimp my books, but she's an exhibitionist that can't be tamed.

I remember that book.

Do you still own it?

Andrew, if you pimp that 122 any more, you are going to get picked up for pandering.

+1

It's the last time, I swear.

Why do so many board members come off as rude or mean?

I remember that book.

Do you still own it?

Yup, contrary to what JC says, i still have most of my OO collection. (unfortunately, many of the HG Marvels and DC's are gone... :( )

But quite a few found good homes with folks here...

Scans are small, but from what I can see, those look SHARP.

In terms of pure bang for your buck, nothing beats a nice 9.0/9.2.

Here's a 9.0 I used to own that looked like a solid 9.6/9.8 from the front. Rich colors, perfectly sharp corners, and not a single stress on the spine. I was recently told that it's now residing in a collection, unslabbed.

cgcASM78.jpg

I'll get the ball rolling. I've seen 9.8s for both these issues that don't present nearly as well:

Why not resubmit then? I'd resubmit my 9.6 #122 before I ever sold it as it too looks more 9.8 than 9.6.

These posts are incomplete if you don't call CGC for grader's notes. Usually when a book looks better than the grade, there's a defect holding it back that's difficult or impossible to see through the case. The best example I have is a 9.2 that looks like a 9.8. You can actually see what's holding it back in this scan, but it's so friggin subtle, most people won't catch it (hint -- it's not a tear, crease, bend, or fold of any kind). Drummy resubmitted it before I owned it without catching the defect and got back the exact same grade and had to call for grader's notes to find out what the heck happened.

ff13.jpg

+1

It's the last time, I swear.

Why do so many board members come off as rude or mean?

Because they don't post enough new threads in General.