• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Buy the book, not the label": A visual demonstration...

93 posts in this topic

NCB spinner rack creases on the BC

I'm not sure if you're at all familiar with this, but I've heard that pressing can fix that problem. :devil:

There will come a day when people will collect comics with spinner rack creases.

:preach:

Guest Grails

Nearly invisible 3 inch hairline crease on back cover. Took me a few minutes to find it after I got the info.

82898.jpg.502e55c62129b39af8db1d52828f19c4.jpg

It would have to be this FF 16....I called for grader's notes and it SOUNDS like a 9.0 over the phone, but in hand I just can't see it. A 9.2 would not be an upgrade on this book. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

ff16.jpg

It would have to be this FF 16....I called for grader's notes and it SOUNDS like a 9.0 over the phone

What were the defects? It's got the corners and edges of a 9.9 from what's visible in the scan.

It would have to be this FF 16....I called for grader's notes and it SOUNDS like a 9.0 over the phone

What were the defects? It's got the corners and edges of a 9.9 from what's visible in the scan.

Maybe I can bring it to a Richmond show....I'd love to get your opinion. The notes list several spine stresses of which I can find 2 , both non color breaking, and a 1 " sratch in the logo box that is so thin you almost need a magnifying glass to find it. I got the book from Blazing and I had it a couple DAYS and could not find anything...my buddy Richard took over an hour to find the scratch...he kept saying" there's GOTTA be something..." I might resub it one day...but I'm afraid I might damage it during removal. I had an offer somewhere cose to GPA 9.2....but it's one of my fav's of the run...I might not ever sell it. GOD BLESS...

I might resub it one day...but I'm afraid I might damage it during removal.

Then don't remove it, resubmit in the slab. I'd give it a regrading opinion if you brought it to the show.

Coincidentally, my #16 is also the best resubmit candidate I own--every defect visible on the book in person is also visible in this scan. I've got at LEAST a dozen 9.6s that don't look as good as this. I also got this Golden State copy from Bob Storms when he liquidated his personal FF collection--I thought it was priced too high but it looked so perfect in the scan that I pulled the trigger anyway. I was twice as happy when it looked just as good in person. :luhv:

ff16.jpg

YIKES.....That definitely presents well...I remember a lot of resubbing going on during the timeframe of that serial number. You can see where the book still has full gloss, a slickness that is present in only the most pristine books....no ink degradation on that one. Thanks for sharing it. GOD BLESS...

P.S. I quickly pulled the trigger on my copy also...it was the kind of book that often doesn't last a day on Bob's site.

It had an indentation on the edge of the back cover, most likely from a string or an elastic band that was holding it in a bundle with other copies. It was pretty deep. Also, there was quite a bit of ink transfer on the back, which tells me that it was stacked with other copies for quite a while. Other than that, it was flawless.

In retrospect, do you now think most of that damage was reversible via pressing?

There were attempts to press that book after I sold it, and they were unsuccessful. I guess it was a little too deep.

I regret selling it, only because I'll probably never find a copy that presents as nicely for the price I paid.

How much of your collection do you have left?

My previous collection? Only one book. I've added a few since, so I guess you could say I'm collecting again. I'm just going a lot slower.

now that its gone any regrets?

Nope. Made a nice chunk of change that's helping me pay for Law School. The good thing about collecting ASMs is that, for the most part, they're really easy to replace.

When you become a lawyer dont settle in Eugene Oregon.It seems every other person here is a lawyer lol

I ask because im thinking of parting with some of my collection.