• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Terrible news concerning nik.

623 posts in this topic

After speaking with Nik's wife earlier this evening, the Nik we all know and love is more than likely gone.

Niky had what is classified as a massive stroke. Due to the carotid artery being blocked, the entire left side of his brain was severely damaged. It will not regenerate, not even with drastic measures, i.e.drilling to alleviate pressure. His neurologist is Tedy Bruschi's doctor. It was concluded that even if they drilled he would be left with no language, receptive or expressive, no memory, no cognition, he would be on a ventilator, feeding tube and catheter.

The Niky we know could not be saved. The Niky I know would not live like that.

I want to feel sadness for Nik and his family, but all I feel is anger.

Nik was unbelievably generous. I remember once having a very minor misunderstanding with him on the boards; we cleared it all up via PM quite quickly, but for some reason I felt like he may have still had some resentment towards me. Shortly after, I posted a message on the boards asking for a U.S board member's help in getting something shipped to me. Nik was the first to volunteer. The fact that he was willing to help was nice enough, but when I asked him how much he needed to ship the item to me once he received it, he said "it's on me". So not only was he doing me a favor after I thought he had some kind of problem with me, he was also willing to go out of pocket because that was just a part of his generous nature.

I sent him more than what was required to ship to me with a message telling him to buy himself a beer on me. That tiny gesture on his part made me realize that I was the one who had a problem, and that he wasn't at all affected by the BS I projected onto him. It was a flaw in my character that he exposed with the strength of his. I was extremely humbled.

That's why I'm angry. The world needs more people like him, yet it seems that they're always the ones who are struck down too damn early.

:sorry:

I've met Nik several times in Chicago, and I was always impressed with his manners. We've PM'd occasionally, not terribly often, but when I did write to him, it always seemed as if I had known him a long time and he was like that, from the very beginning, just the type of person, you knew was kind from the very beginning...

What truly impressed me, is although he has always seemed very much a "man's man". He was strong enough to be comfortable with females as well. That impressed me, because not all men are. I teased him recently about one of his comments, and he took it in stride. I know he was very proud of his wife and not afraid to say it.

His kindness to others, was legendary, I saw many instances of it on the boards and he never looked for credit.

I'm very sad about this...I was sorry he wasn't going to be in Chicago...but this is just incredible. My heart, best wishes and prayers go out to his family, I'm sure they are devastated .

I know, personally in troubled times, it helps me to do something positive...so I hope that we can get together as a board and help his family financially and emotionally, the best we can.

I am going to try my best, to help us all organize the most help we can..and I apologize, if I keep mentioning it, but it's really all I can think of to do, to help his family.

I'm going to ask people to continue to be generous. I can't think of too many people more generous than NIk, and it would be a testament to him, to pay it forward to his family.

I've been getting some wonderful donations for the auction.

We have some very very kind people here.

I speke to Andrew earlier this evening, and he has been getting numerous donations. I have about 6 items so far, for Tuesdays's auction, all of the items are amazing.

I know this was a long post, and I'm not sure if it really will make sense in the morning, I know I've probably been repeating myself...but I just wanted to say something...but most of all

Hugs to all of you...

I dreaded reading this thread so I avoided until now. As I caught up on all the posts, seeing the pics of Nik, it was just too much. My heart goes out to Nik's family and relatives. I can't imagine how his mother in Greece is taking this as she was just days away from seeing her son again. There will be a place at the head of the table in Greektown for Nik, so we can properly toast the man and his memory. I miss my friend dearly.

I dreaded reading this thread so I avoided until now. As I caught up on all the posts, seeing the pics of Nik, it was just too much. My heart goes out to Nik's family and relatives. I can't imagine how his mother in Greece is taking this as she was just days away from seeing her son again. There will be a place at the head of the table in Greektown for Nik, so we can properly toast the man and his memory. I miss my friend dearly.

I'm sorry Angelo. I know you guys were close.

I barely knew Nik through selling one book to him a few years ago. I would later feel regret about the book and would occasionally ask Nik if I could buy it back. Finally, he told me that if he ever sold it, he would sell it back to me for the same price that he paid. That was all I needed to know about his character.

Nik, I hope you are able to enjoy what time you have left with your family and friends.

I'm sorry Angelo. I know you guys were close.

Thanks, Scott. I appreciate it

I hadn't really prayed in a good long while. This event changed that; may Nik and his family somehow stay forever young.

It's a thing of beauty, too, to see his close friends congregate and get into logical action mode even with all the emotions that are all over the place. And the children's artwork spoke volumes.

I remember during the grading contests I would PM him my guess with a header like, "Grade #5....or the best 3 years of my life", and he would write something funny back. He was a lot of fun to talk to, and he will be missed for a long time.

I have been silent so far following the sad developments and cannot fathom the devastation his family is going through. Our hopes and prayers for a better tomorrow go to his wife and kids.

I casually met Nik in Chicago last year but remember most his first ever grading contest. We went to Europe in the middle of the contest and I found time every other day to sneak out, log in and PM my grades to Nik who always responded cryptically in an infectious manner as I updated him on my vacation activities. I distinctly remember walking from the beach in Juan Les Pins, sending my grade and check my score and chatting with Nik. Alas, those days are now gone ... :( Still, there will always be sunshine in my best memory of Nik.

I too met Nik in Chicago last year. I always enjoyed him on boards and found him even more so in person...I am saddend by this news, and for his family at home and on the boards. Cheers Nik!

I've been off these boards for quite a few months and it's odd that I come back on today of all days... I have put comics on the back burner, but now I regret it. I never had the opportunity to meet Nik, but in my view he was one of the best guys on here, a real class act.

We're all praying for you and your family.

I'm posting in a flurry of emotions right now so I hope this doesn't come out wrong. Can we please stop with the testimonials in this thread? I look up at the header and I see "Terrible news concerning Nik." Every time I see it makes my gut hurt just like it did when I first saw it. Now, I see people beginning to tell stories about Nikos and that's great. But not here. Maybe not even just yet. I'm pissed at life right now and I only met Nik one time.

Let's don't let the memories be stuck in this f**king thread. And maybe it's not time to start that new thread either.

Speaking for myself, it was just a way to cope with this situation but I realize others might not share in that sentiment. We obviously all care for Nik, we all wish him and his family well. I guess we just have different ways of dealing with it. :(

No offense meant. I too am a complete and utter flurry of emotions.

night.

I'm posting in a flurry of emotions right now so I hope this doesn't come out wrong. Can we please stop with the testimonials in this thread? I look up at the header and I see "Terrible news concerning Nik." Every time I see it makes my gut hurt just like it did when I first saw it. Now, I see people beginning to tell stories about Nikos and that's great. But not here. Maybe not even just yet. I'm pissed at life right now and I only met Nik one time.

Let's don't let the memories be stuck in this f**king thread. And maybe it's not time to start that new thread either.

Michael,

Some people take comfort in relating a fond memory of nik so that the bad news pertaining to niky will be a little less bitter to swallow. None of us ever thought we would find ourselves in this position.

I appreciate the fact that everything is here together... in one place. I'm gonna miss my friend terribly, but a least I can take cold comfort in the fact that he was a positive influence on many people and the hobby that he enjoyed tremendously.

And no, it's not fair, but if nik were here he'd be the first to say life isn't fair. If he could see all of us, right now, the first words he would say would be, " me." Then, he would proceed to kick all of our asses for carrying on over him in such a manner.

It wasn't supposed to be this way. I'm gonna miss him.

Just logged on for the first time in a week and saw this thread.

My thoughts are better expressed by Angelo above I can't type now.

I'm off to church to light a candle for Nik and his family.

been tryin' to stay off the Boards for a while. This sad story has got me re-glued to the Boards, hoping against all odds for a miraculous turnaround.

Just want to add here that I did not realize that Nik's eBay account sold me that rare gem I treasure the SILVER SURFER # 16, CGC 9.6. But what is strange about that one CGC comic is that is a (P) plod. Two of the four sides of the front cover were trimmed. This comic is surely one-of-a-kind; you won't see any more 9.6 PLODS.

I do recall from that mid-2005 transaction that the Seller guaranteed me that I would be very satisfied with this 9.6 PLOD. I had emailed him a few times and he was very nice about it. Sure enough I got the comic, and he emailed me to ask me if I was happy. Btw, Nik's asking me was way after the transaction could have had a return, etc. That impressed me that an eBayer would still think of this a few months later.

But the egg on my face is this: I did not know UNTIL TWO DAYS AGO that this was Nik. During the time of that PLOD sale, I had no idea who he was or his connection to this Forum. I guess the subject never came up or whatever.

I had to get on PayPal for some 2005 transactions, and I saw Nik's name on that July-2005 PayPal transaction page.

Tomorrow you will see my comics listed. The SS 16 CGC(P) will not be for auction.

I am sure you know why.

CAL can't sleep

A few thoughts:

Like many on the boards I've never met Nik personally but buy books from him and love trading quips with him via pm in the grading contests. But I feel like I know him through his posts and actions throughout the boards, and I have a tremendous admiration for the guy. Everything he does screams integrity.

I've been surprised about how emotional I've felt the last couple days...over the potential loss of someone I never met. I'm not a bread-stick armed nerd that lives in my mom's basement: I'm a normal busy guy with friends, family, work, and a girlfriend that fills my life with all I can handle and more. Yet I've still grown attached to these boards and the people on them in a way I never would have thought possible. And to suddenly lose one of the best guys here...it's a real loss.

Recently there's been a lot of discord here on the boards. Turns out that's just noise. The real character of the boards has come out in this thread, and I'm sure behind-the-scenes through the contribution thread.

I really feel for those of you who knew Nik personally and stand to lose a friend.

I'm heading out for the weekend, but I don't suppose there will be good news when I come back. Here's to you Nik...a great man. You will be missed.

This is just horrible news.... I had the pleasure of meeting Nik in person, as well as carrying on a few PMs with him over the years, and he is truly a class act. He was a bright spot to these boards on even the worst days, and his generosity and our memories of him will live on forever.

I will continue to pray for him and his family, the world needs more people like Nikos :(

--Steve

This is just horrible news.... I had the pleasure of meeting Nik in person, as well as carrying on a few PMs with him over the years, and he is truly a class act. He was a bright spot to these boards on even the worst days, and his generosity and our memories of him will live on forever.

I will continue to pray for him and his family, the world needs more people like Nikos :(

--Steve

Well said! I didn't really know him at all but he was very nice to a new comer to this board. Definitely the world can always use more friendly people willing to lend a virtual hand to someone or bring a smile to another persons face just for the heck of it. I already knew he was a stand up guy for the way he was nice to me,but reading about how everyone else feels about him, it makes me cry I I barely spoke w/him at all. My heart really goes out to his family.

I finally clued in to this tragedy after seeing a second selling thread for Nik (and then his family).

I know some of what they're going through as my mom was in a coma for several months with a large brain aneurysm when I was in college.... not the same as a stroke, but the end result can be equally difficult for the patient's family. In my mom's case, it took a few years for her to get most of her memory back (remembering me - the youngest - was one of the last things to come back) but it did happen.

So, my thoughts go out for a good outcome despite the current prognosis.

I never met him, but Nik always had a welcoming word whenever I PM'd him and I've been hoping to get down to Chicago one of these years to see the man.