• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM Explosion

26 posts in this topic

What the hell is going on? It seems like either a couple of people are cashing out their collections at once, or one person is letting the hoard loose. Seeing so many ASM's up at once is a little disconcerting. But they are moving, even though some are at record lows.(ASM #40 in 9.4 for $1350, #46 in 9.4 for $500)

http://www.comiclinkexpress.com/cgcitems.asp?id=3884&FROM=&TO=

At the same time, it is getting a lot tougher to find decent raw copies without having to pay through the nose.

A lot of those books are carry-over from the original site. However, there was a guy who listed 1-20 in 9.2-9.4 and most of those are still up there. Any other ASMs that have been listed at reasonable prices has sold very quickly. Also, I think the market for 9.6 late 60's ASMs seems to be dying (didn't appear to be much of one in the first place). That could be due to the high pricing on most of them though...

Brian

I don't think there are a lot of 9.6 completists out there that don't already have these later ASM's. 9.4's are on fire though, as there seems to be a lot of collectors who have decided that 9.4 is their standard. 9.0's and 9.2's sell very briskly as well, as they are a lot more accessible. As a result, you end up having more 9.6's on the market, many of which may be owned by people who bought at the height of the hype. I remember seeing some crazy sales like a 76 in 9.6 for $1,050 and a 70 for $1,200. I guess those days are long gone.

Yes, it's very tough to not sell 9.4's in the 60-100 range. Those seem to sell as long as the price is ball park reasonable. 9.6's sell quite well in 101-150 and at pretty good premiums, 9.6's are fairly easy to move in 1-20 as well if the price is right. Anything between 8.5-9.4 is VERY easy to move in issues 1-100. Seems to be a lot of ASM collectors out there 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Brian

Seems to be a lot of ASM collectors out there

ASM rules the hobby and the Market. Ask any dealer, and they'll probably tell you that they tend to get in 5X more ASM than any other title, but they also move them quicker than any other title. Borock also mentioned somewhere that the amount of ASM's they get is insane compared to other titles.

Can you think of any other title that would hold up these kind of prices, with so many high grade copies floating around? Avengers? No way. Daredevil? 27_laughing.gif FF? There are some die hard FF collectors, but half of their appeal is due to the fact that they're tough in grade. X-Men? Possible, but the S.A stuff is so terrible, and they will always be limited because of that.

I think what you're seeing in ASM is the full extent of what these 60's books are available in. Since ASM market is so hot, so many more copies are graded and floating around versus the other titles. IMO, there's no way that less than 25 percent of the 9.0 + material between ASM 1-100 has been graded. The census doesn't really seem to be making leaps and bounds either, with exception to the bronze books. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Brian

That guy has relisted that book two times at this point, I'm assuming he wants over 1 grand for it. There's another guy with a 9.2 copy that listed his at least 5 times before the reserve was met. What's with people wanting way too much for that book?

Brian

Like I said above, some people bought at the wrong time, and want out.

I bought some ASM's at the wrong time as well, but since they're keepers, I don't really mind.

No no. These two guys are looking for basically "highest price ever sold". A realistic ending price for a 9.2 ASM 23 is between 800-950. These guys are looking for 1,250-1,400. Which is more than, as far back as I can remember, they've ever sold for.

But yes, I agree with you're saying in whole. That a lot of people are trying to sell for what they bought for. And with exception to some books and those 9.6's we spoke of. Nothing is really selling for much lower than it was.

Brian

I pulled some of my Data from that time period, and you're right. I think these are just flippers trying to make a buck.

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #23 CGC 9.2

$1,035.00 NOV-25-01

$1,000.00 JAN-28-02

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #23 CGC 9.2 NORTHLAND

$959.95 FEB-19-02

$1,100.00 APR-02-02

$1,080.00 JUL-31-02

What the hell is going on? It seems like either a couple of people are cashing out their collections at once, or one person is letting the hoard loose. Seeing so many ASM's up at once is a little disconcerting. But they are moving, even though some are at record lows.(ASM #40 in 9.4 for $1350, #46 in 9.4 for $500)

They are still selling for between 2.5X to 3X OS guide. Does appear to be lower from some of the 8X to 10X guide prices which was evident in the marketplace back in 2002 to 2003. What would the GPA price range (high, low, average) be on these two books?

They are still selling for between 2.5X to 3X OS guide. Does appear to be lower from some of the 8X to 10X guide prices which was evident in the marketplace back in 2002 to 2003. What would the GPA price range (high, low, average) be on these two books?

Here are some ASM #46 sales from my records:(Note: This issue comes up less frequently than most.)

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #46 CGC 9.4

$835.00 MAY-08-02

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #46 CGC 9.4

$860.00 AUG-19-02

I think if this book was auctioned, it probably would have pulled in $600-$700. But the set price was $500, and Murph snagged it.

As for #40, it its prime, it was a 2K book. I paid $2,250 for my 9.4 because I bought very early on.