• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 Most $$$ Comics of All Time (different titles)

48 posts in this topic

I was curious, so I spent a few minutes (so I could be way off in my haste) on the census and came up with this.

There is a top 10 most valuable comics list out there which is all GA but I wanted to create a different version.

Once an issue was on the list, I didn't list it again, o/w Action #1 would take up a few spots, etc, then you would only have a few books on the entire top 10. I just wanted to see at least 10 different issues. So it is not the top $$$ of every single book out there.

Very very subjective since we are talking about the top census issues which some have never been sold on the open market.

1) Action Comics #1 8.5

2) Detective Comics #27 8.0

3) Marvel Comics #1 9.0 (2 of them)

6) All-American Comics #16 9.4

7) Captain America #1 9.6

5) Batman #1 9.0 (3 of them)

4) Superman #1 8.0

8) Amazing Fantasy #15 9.6

9) Showcase #4 9.6

10) Fantastic Four #1 9.6

Would like other people's opinions, but please keep it within parameters of no multiple issues in the list and list the CGC grade. Even expand the list if you want since 10 is pretty tough!

I think this list will get easier to compare if we include our estimated market value along with each issue. I mean, to put them in order, we have to assign one to them anyway, so if we're doing that, putting our estimate there for other people to see makes it easier for them to see what we're thinking.

For example, I'm a Silver Age guy only, although I certainly do follow major Golden Age stuff enough to have rough ideas what the ones you list are worth, I'm just not up to date on market values in those specific grades today. I suspect AF15 9.6 might be higher than Superman 1 8.0 and a few others, but I can't say that for sure unless I know what you're estimating those at.

I was curious, so I spent a few minutes (so I could be way off in my haste) on the census and came up with this.

There is a top 10 most valuable comics list out there which is all GA but I wanted to create a different version.

Once an issue was on the list, I didn't list it again, o/w Action #1 would take up a few spots, etc, then you would only have a few books on the entire top 10. I just wanted to see at least 10 different issues. So it is not the top $$$ of every single book out there.

Very very subjective since we are talking about the top census issues which some have never been sold on the open market.

1) Action Comics #1 8.5

4) Superman #1 8.0

9) Showcase #4 9.6

Would like other people's opinions, but please keep it within parameters of no multiple issues in the list and list the CGC grade. Even expand the list if you want since 10 is pretty tough!

mark my words within 5 years Showcase 22 will go on the list and surpass Showcase 4. I am using AF 15 as an example when it passed FF1.

Green Lantern is much more popular than Flash is and this will increase tenfold after the Green Lantern movie.

1) Action Comics #1 8.5

4) Superman #1 8.0

9) Showcase #4 9.6

I would reorder your list as follows based on what I think they would get if sold today:

1) Action Comics #1 8.5

3) Captain America #1 9.6

4) All-American Comics #16 9.4

5) Amazing Fantasy #15 9.6

6) Superman #1 8.0

7) Fantastic Four #1 9.6

8) Marvel Comics #1 9.0 (2 of them)

9) Batman #1 9.0 (3 of them)

10) Hulk #1 9.4

Showcase #4 doesn't make the list, as the empirical evidence from its recent sale shows that it can't crack the $200K barrier, whereas I think Hulk #1 could.

MC #1 in 9.0 has plummeted due to the plethora of sales in recent years, and I believe would currently go for less than the 9.6 FF #1.

1) Action Comics #1 8.5

4) Superman #1 8.0

9) Showcase #4 9.6

mark my words within 5 years Showcase 22 will go on the list and surpass Showcase 4. I am using AF 15 as an example when it passed FF1.

Green Lantern is much more popular than Flash is and this will increase tenfold after the Green Lantern movie.

Doubtful. I think people way over-estimate the impact of successful movies on comic prices or on whether a lower-tier character can suddenly be vaulted into the top tier.

The Iron Man movie was a much bigger hit than either of the FF movies, so how come TOS 39 hasn't surpassed FF 1 in value? It's not even close. If the Avengers movie hits X-Men movie levels of success, Avengers 1 still won't come close to overtaking FF 1 in value. Come to think of it, the success of the X-Men movies hasn't caused X-Men 1 to come close to overtaking FF 1 in value. Hulk 1 is still the 3rd most valuable Marvel book, even though neither of its movies were massive hits. Batman Dark Knight is what, the 2nd biggest box office movie in history, and Batman is way more popular than Superman, but Detective 27 is nowhere close to overtaking Action 1.

Doubtful. I think people way over-estimate the impact of successful movies on comic prices or on whether a lower-tier character can suddenly be vaulted into the top tier.

The Iron Man movie was a much bigger hit than either of the FF movies, so how come TOS 39 hasn't surpassed FF 1 in value? It's not even close. If the Avengers movie hits X-Men movie levels of success, Avengers 1 still won't come close to overtaking FF 1 in value. Come to think of it, the success of the X-Men movies hasn't caused X-Men 1 to come close to overtaking FF 1 in value. Hulk 1 is still the 3rd most valuable Marvel book, even though neither of its movies were massive hits. Batman Dark Knight is what, the 2nd biggest box office movie in history, and Batman is way more popular than Superman, but Detective 27 is nowhere close to overtaking Action 1.

(thumbs u

Showcase #4 doesn't make the list, as the empirical evidence from its recent sale shows that it can't crack the $200K barrier, whereas I think Hulk #1 could.

MC #1 in 9.0 has plummeted due to the plethora of sales in recent years, and I believe would currently go for less than the 9.6 FF #1.

I agree that Hulk #1 could possibly top Showcase #4.

I didn't realize that MC#1 had plummeted that much in price. The pay copy is listed on Rob Reacts site as a private sale at $350k. Then GPA has that same copy as a sale on Aug 2007 at $205k.

1) Action Comics #1 8.5

4) Superman #1 8.0

9) Showcase #4 9.6

(thumbs u

Plus, this GL movie is direct to DVD, and if I recall, when WW came out a bit ago, her comics didn't skyrockets past anything already established.

Whoops, I left out Flash Comics #1.

1) Action Comics #1 8.5

3) Flash Comics #1 9.6

4) Captain America #1 9.6

5) All-American Comics #16 9.4

6) Amazing Fantasy #15 9.6

7) Superman #1 8.0

8) Fantastic Four #1 9.6

9) Marvel Comics #1 9.0 (2 exist)

10) Batman #1 9.0 (3 exist)

11) Hulk #1 9.4

12) Showcase #4

I was gonna assign $ values to them, but it's just way too hard.

1) Action Comics #1 8.5

4) Superman #1 8.0

9) Showcase #4 9.6

(thumbs u

Plus, this GL movie is direct to DVD, and if I recall, when WW came out a bit ago, her comics didn't skyrockets past anything already established.

I am talking about the Ryan Reynolds GL movie not the animated dvd one and I said within 5 years will pass only Showcase 4 on the list.

:baiting:

1) Action Comics #1 8.5

4) Superman #1 8.0

9) Showcase #4 9.6

easy answer, it`s because Ironman isn`t as cool as Green Lantern. Green Lantern is the coolest DC character on par with Spiderman and after the movie the rest of mainstream will find out. All hail Green Lantern (worship);)

easy answer, it`s because Ironman isn`t as cool as Green Lantern. Green Lantern is the coolest DC character on par with Spiderman and after the movie the rest of mainstream will find out. All hail Green Lantern (worship);)

lol (thumbs u Cool with me! I'd be delighted if GL becomes super-popular and the value of GL #1 skyrockets.

1) Action Comics #1 8.5

3) Flash Comics #1 9.6

7) Superman #1 8.0

8) Fantastic Four #1 9.6

11) Hulk #1 9.4

12) Showcase #4

You could have left the Flash #1 off the list, and even if it makes the list, last sale puts it very close to the bottom - just above Batman #1.

Fantasy #15 and Supe #1 might be co-#5 at around equal value, but this list seems as good as any.

That's a great list. He should add a column for date of sale and use that as the primary sort in descending order to make it easier to spot trends over time.

One of these days I'll move everything into a database and I'll be able to do all kinds of cunky things with the data.

I'm also looking at putting together inflation adjusted price data.

when? Who knows.... :sorry:

1) Action Comics #1 8.5

3) Flash Comics #1 9.6

7) Superman #1 8.0

8) Fantastic Four #1 9.6

11) Hulk #1 9.4

12) Showcase #4

Off the top of my head:

1) Action Comics #1 8.5 $750,000

2) Detective Comics #27 8.0 $500,000

3) Flash Comics #1 9.6 $300,000

4) Captain America #1 9.6 $300,000

5) All-American Comics #16 9.4 $750,000

6) Amazing Fantasy #15 9.6 $600,000

7) Superman #1 8.0 $500,000

8) Fantastic Four #1 9.6 $500,000

9) Marvel Comics #1 9.0 (2 exist) $250,000

10) Batman #1 9.0 (3 exist) $300,000

11) Hulk #1 9.4 $250,000

One of these days I'll move everything into a database and I'll be able to do all kinds of cunky things with the data.

I'm also looking at putting together inflation adjusted price data.

when? Who knows.... :sorry:

Damn slacker! :baiting: