• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 Most $$$ Comics of All Time (different titles)

48 posts in this topic

Off the top of my head:

1) Action Comics #1 8.5 $750,000

2) Detective Comics #27 8.0 $500,000

3) Flash Comics #1 9.6 $300,000

4) Captain America #1 9.6 $300,000

5) All-American Comics #16 9.4 $750,000

6) Amazing Fantasy #15 9.6 $600,000

7) Superman #1 8.0 $500,000

8) Fantastic Four #1 9.6 $500,000

9) Marvel Comics #1 9.0 (2 exist) $250,000

10) Batman #1 9.0 (3 exist) $300,000

11) Hulk #1 9.4 $250,000

That all seems reasonable except Cap 1 and AA 16. Given that the Cap 1 CGC 9.6 sold for $260K in 2001, why do you think it wouldn't go for more today? And what prior sales suggest a figure as high as $750K for AA 16?

Off the top of my head:

11) Hulk #1 9.4 $250,000

That all seems reasonable except Cap 1 and AA 16. Given that the Cap 1 CGC 9.6 sold for $260K in 2001, why do you think it wouldn't go for more today? And what prior sales suggest a figure as high as $750K for AA 16?

I think that the Cap #1 sold for a premium when it sold and it sold to the one person who would most likely pay a premium for it, so I feel like it's growing into its value. Cap #1s other than that one haven't exactly lit up the sales charts over the past few years. Not a weak book, but it's not acting like amazing Fantasy 15 either.

The AA16 was close to selling for seven figures last year. I felt like that was a lot of money for the book, so I'm compromising with its value here. I never included it in my top ten most valuable books list, and it didn't even make the honorable mentions, so you can guess at what I thought of the book before the news of its grading/potential sale.

I just can't see any SA book even these top census as exceeding the $500k mark. Are there any that have even broke $250k as reference?

I think AF and FF would have a tough time finding bids over $400k possibly even $300k if the market were ever to weaken.

I just can't see any SA book even these top census as exceeding the $500k mark. Are there any that have even broke $250k as reference?

I think AF and FF would have a tough time finding bids over $400k possibly even $300k if the market were ever to weaken.

Two AF15 9.4s sold for 227k and 210k in 2007 and AF15 has only gotten hotter since (based on those results, actually.)

The FF#1 9.6 was traded for an FF1 9.4 and something like $150,000 in cash. I'm pretty sure they valued at about $400,000 for the purposes of the trade.

If the market weakens to the point where the highest graded AF15 has a hard time making $300k, then the comics market is in trouble (and, as everyone around here knows, I'm not a fan of AF15, so this isn't cheerleading.)

Two AF15 9.4s sold for 227k and 210k in 2007 and AF15 has only gotten hotter since (based on those results, actually.)

The FF#1 9.6 was traded for an FF1 9.4 and something like $150,000 in cash. I'm pretty sure they valued at about $400,000 for the purposes of the trade.

If the market weakens to the point where the highest graded AF15 has a hard time making $300k, then the comics market is in trouble (and, as everyone around here knows, I'm not a fan of AF15, so this isn't cheerleading.)

I hear you.

I just think that it is tough for a SA to get those extra bids pushing them so high, possible but unusual I would think.

The AF15 9.6 while unique has competition of 6 at 9.4 right below. We've seen crazy bids for top census in non-keys, only because I think 10k or 20k here or there are doable by most people even if some would say they are throwing away money. But $200k just for the 9.6 over the 9.4 is pushing it I think. Unless you have 2 or 3 fervent bidders willing to part with several hundred grand.

The FF1 9.6 is similar situation with 4 9.4's below it. I'm assuming that trade of 9.6 = 9.4 + $150k was Doug Schmell? That's a unique situation I think because he had a book to trade and he is one of the top FF collectors. Ask him if he would have jumped on it for $500k or even $400k cash at the time, and I would think he would have had to give it some serious thought, not to mention, if that amount of cash was even available.

If I were to bid over $300k for a SA book, some doubts preventing that bid would be because overall any SA book is not rare (maybe in that grade but not issue like Tek #27) and I would be thinking what other book I could get once you get over $300k because you could get almost any book!

I hear you.

I just think that it is tough for a SA to get those extra bids pushing them so high, possible but unusual I would think.

The AF15 9.6 while unique has competition of 6 at 9.4 right below. We've seen crazy bids for top census in non-keys, only because I think 10k or 20k here or there are doable by most people even if some would say they are throwing away money. But $200k just for the 9.6 over the 9.4 is pushing it I think. Unless you have 2 or 3 fervent bidders willing to part with several hundred grand.

The FF1 9.6 is similar situation with 4 9.4's below it. I'm assuming that trade of 9.6 = 9.4 + $150k was Doug Schmell? That's a unique situation I think because he had a book to trade and he is one of the top FF collectors. Ask him if he would have jumped on it for $500k or even $400k cash at the time, and I would think he would have had to give it some serious thought, not to mention, if that amount of cash was even available.

If I were to bid over $300k for a SA book, some doubts preventing that bid would be because overall any SA book is not rare (maybe in that grade but not issue like Tek #27) and I would be thinking what other book I could get once you get over $300k because you could get almost any book!

Good Post and great point.

the lone 9.6 AF15 would have no trouble surpassing 300K. But I dont think any other SA book known today could. Maybe the 9.8 X-Men 1 could manage a trade/cash deal similar to the FF1 9.4/9.6.

But only that single best AF15 could manage a cash only deal at that price. (any any 9.4 perhaps once the next one comes up for sale and we see if the price keeps moving higher still!) Its the best copy of the hottest book, and the difference between 9.4 and 9.6 is more tangible than 9.6 to 9.8, and worth a bump to more people.

Off the top of my head:

11) Hulk #1 9.4 $250,000

The GA figures may be a bit ambitious as the frenzy to get the top certified copy that we see in the SA market doesn't seem to carry over to the GA market. I would be surprised to see AF 15 (9.6) and FF 1 (9.6) anywhere lower than #3 and 4 on the list you have. A 9.0 or higher Superman 1 would probably outperform either, however. The reason I say this is that there are obviously several players spending hard and heavy on top census SA...most of whom certainly do NOT have the top census AF 15 and FF 1. The two top Marvel SA Keys are rare enough at that level that the 9.6's will have roughly the same mystique as top certified Mile Highs from the GA....and a MUCH larger collector base.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. It would NOT surprise me to see an AF 15 in 9.6 be the first book to actually SELL for 1 million.....as the Church Action 1 isn't likely to sell in our lifetime.

P.S. It would NOT surprise me to see an AF 15 in 9.6 be the first book to actually SELL for 1 million.....as the Church Action 1 isn't likely to sell in our lifetime.

It wouldn't surprise me either but only if other books rose in similar value as well.

I think if anyone offered a $1M bounty for AF15 9.6 now or anytime in the foreseeable future, you'd get a call rather quickly.

maybe not. the owner by definition has funds so the extra 700K "profit" wouldnt pry the book away. Just more cash in the accounts versus teh best copy of arguably the best hottest comic for some time to come. Id hold on expecting to do no worse than a million someday.

The best Superman #1 would CRUSH any Silver Age book. I would watch with glee as it ground that whiny little Parker into paste.

Isn't around 8.0 supposed to be the best copy anybody's seen of Superman 1 raw or slabbed?

Given who the owner of the 9.6 AF 15 is, what makes you think it will sell any time in our lifetimes either? Plus, he's younger than the Dentist.

The best Superman #1 would CRUSH any Silver Age book. I would watch with glee as it ground that whiny little Parker into paste.

Isn't around 8.0 supposed to be the best copy anybody's seen of Superman 1 raw or slabbed?

No, the Dentist's copy is reputed to be the best (of course).

the Dentist owns the best Superman #1? I thought he had the Action 1 and the Tec 27, but Supes 1? What else does he have? anyone know what else he bought?

Given who the owner of the 9.6 AF 15 is, what makes you think it will sell any time in our lifetimes either? Plus, he's younger than the Dentist.

So true....only a 9.8 would flush that copy out, and maybe not even then, as he is known to keep multiples. I don't think there are more than a few people who actually know what the Dentist has....but I had heard he also has the Mile High Superman 1....but I hear lots of stuff, most of it probably wrong lol Superman 1 has the rep of being the toughest of the mega keys in grade...and after all these years, that's probably true.I'm probably wrong here too, but I would be surprised if a 9.4 FF 1 wouldn't sell for over $ 250 K in cash at auction....another tough book not likely to see many additions to the census at that grade. There seem to be more and more players in the SA arena to whom that kind of money would be the equivilent of one of us buying a boat or a jet ski. I still feel that the buyer of the JLA 1 in 9.6 will end up with a real winner in about 10 years.I think Warner Bros is going to roll out some first class cinema with the D.C. franchises. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

the Dentist owns the best Superman #1? I thought he had the Action 1 and the Tec 27, but Supes 1?

Why would it surprise you that the guy who owns the best Action 1 and Tec 27 would also own the best Superman 1?

What else does he have? anyone know what else he bought?

We'd all like to know! Suffice to say that he has the best GA collection of Superman and Batman titles in the world.