• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Very Cool EXCEL Spreadsheet - Marvel Silver Age Titles Timeline

3 posts in this topic

Maybe this has been posted before but .............

I stumbled upon this COOL WEBSITE

The site has a download link for an EXCEL spreadsheet that shows all the Marvel titles on a timeline from 1961 up.

Spreadsheet download here:

http://www.maroney.org/kevin/images/marvel_silver_age_timeline.xls

The really amazing thing is if you look at the creative output between November 1961 (first FF) and April 1964 (first X-men). That was an incredible 30 month period.

Before I even begin this post, I want to applaud all the effort that went into this spreadsheet, but there is a distortion on the spreadsheet that might mislead some observers as to which books were released concurrently.

Prior to the 20¢ Marvels not all books released in a 'calendar' month had the same 'cover' month.

There are books listed on the same entry line on the spreadsheet that did not come out in the same calendar month. To note simply the first "inaccuracy", both FF #4 and Hulk #1 have May cover dates but FF #4 came out on Feb. 8th, 1962, almost a full month before Hulk #1 was released (March 1st, 1962).

Below is how the newsstand would have looked in 1962.

February 1962 12 issues

(Apr/May 62 Cover Dates)

Amazing Adult Fantasy 12

Fantastic Four 4

JIM 79

Kathy 16

Kid Colt Outlaw 104

Life With Millie 16

Linda Carter, Student Nurse 5

Millie the Model 108

Patsy Walker 100

Strange Tales 96

TOS 29

TTA 31

March 1962 10 issues

(May/Jun 62 Cover Dates)

Amazing Adult Fantasy 13

Gunsmoke Western 70

Incredible Hulk 1

JIM 80

Love Romances 99

Patsy & Hedy 82

Rawhide Kid 28

Strange Tales 97

TOS 30

TTA 32

So I don't want to minimize all the work that went into assembling the spreadsheet. These things take an amazing amount of time and effort, but at the same time it is wise to understand some of the limitations of the presentation in order to maintain a clearer historical understanding of events.