• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Nik Appreciation Thread

21 posts in this topic

Jimbo, getting a bit of Greek soil to go with Nik is a cool idea.

I've already shared a few of my experiences with Nik but I would like to share them here too so that they are in the correct thread.

Nik was the guy that brought me to the boards. I had an eBay auction running with a Secret Wars #8 CGC 9.9 and he sent me an email through eBay telling me about how forumites were discussing my book inviting me to join in.

I remember my earliest email exchanges with him sounding like he was having a whole lot of fun with comics. He regularly used words like "trip" and "blast" and I got an immediate sense of him as easy going and fun through his emails.

Over the years Nik and I met and spoke and also PMd back and forth many times. Some times it was business some times it was pleasure but he was always fun and easy and a true class act.

I remember meeting Nik in Chicago 2007 on the con floor with Arex IIRC. I recognized the two of them instantly. It was my first big con as I was not a real "con" person until a few years ago.

I remember getting back to the hotel and meeting them in the courtyard later that day. Our travelling crew which included Louise, Jim and Drew, was hanging out as board members began to show up. We hung out there for hours getting to know each other over a tall cool one. Many of us met there for the first time in person. It was ground zero for me as it was my first big "boardie" get together.

I remember on the same con weekend coming back one night with Louise at about 2 am after a night of sight seeing and we bumped into Nik in the courtyard. He was enjoying the evening. We chatted like old friends laughing and sharing funny stories for a long time before finally saying good night.

I remember being in Shoeless Joe's for dinner one night, and me being the class clown trying to ham it up a bit by walking across a bunch of bar stools over Lou and a few board members to get to my stool. When I looked over at Nik he had his head in his hands, was laughing and saying something comical about me. Not judgemental. Just took it all in as good fun.

I remember PMing back and forth with him about the time when his wife talked about them moving to Montana. He was torn between wanting to make her happy and figuring out what was best for his family. He was a family man first.

I remember PMing Nik when I had a car problem and he was quick to help out a

fellow technician. He was a very generous with his time and eager to help wherever and whenever he could .

I remember him telling me over and over to keep my JIM #114 CGC 9.4 when I

I was torn as to whether or not to sell. He was a fellow Thor collector.

I am saddened that I have not seen Nik since Chicago 2008 as I had hoped to run into him in NYC, Philly or even invite him and some forumites to Toronto. I was talking to cgcworld about getting a group of forumites to come up to Toronto for the big Fan Expo con at the end of August. Not sure how that will play out.

Just wanted to share a few of my experiences with Nik. I really can't add much more to all the wonderful things that have already been said about Nik. He was a true example of a "good man" and his impact upon both Louise and I has been positive and lasting. He'll be fondly remembered. I don't think there is a bigger or better gift to leave behind than that.

R.

Well said. Thanks for sharing.