• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Solomon Kane movie

51 posts in this topic

Isn't that an early poster for Van Helsing? lol

Stephen Sommers blatantly ripped off Solomon Kane with Van Helsing. I very much hope that piece of movie hasn't poisoned the well for SK. :sumo:

EDIT: Wow, "cr ap" is censored?

All I know is that it will deal with his origins.

Well, that and the fact that I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'm cautiously optimistic as well. More optimistic than I am about the new Conan movie though. It sounds like SK, while not an adaptation will be at least truer to the spirit of REH's character.

Harry Knowles wrote a gushing review after seeing a private screening a couple of months ago, but I tend to take his a opinions with a grain of salt.

Solomon Kane Review

Theagenes, what did you hear to make you think that the new Conan won't be in the REH version of the character?

Knowles does get overly excited early on in in the filming of genre films, but I'll take his excitement over his grumpiness. At least that means SK has a shot at being worthy. :grin:

Come on, it's widely known that if you grease Knowles's ample tummy and give him the royal treatment, he gushes over your movie, and the reverse is true even for an unintentional slight.

Going to him for movie reviews is insane. :roflmao:

Theagenes, what did you hear to make you think that the new Conan won't be in the REH version of the character?

Knowles does get overly excited early on in in the filming of genre films, but I'll take his excitement over his grumpiness. At least that means SK has a shot at being worthy. :grin:

I hope so. :wishluck:

As for Conan, a leaked early draft of the -script has Conan' village wiped out and he seaks revenge. Later he becomes a protector for a girl who is some kind of 'chosen one' and he has to save the word. Sounds it's full of every cliche that's ever been in a lousy 80's S&S flick. :(

That said, this was an early draft before they had director Marcus Nispel on board so maybe things will change.

Come on, it's widely known that if you grease Knowles's ample tummy and give him the royal treatment, he gushes over your movie, and the reverse is true even for an unintentional slight.

As I said I take his review with a grain of salt. That's why I'm hoping some of the knowledgable posters here got a chance to see soem of the footage this weekend. :)

But I am also biased as an REH fan - I really want this movie to be good.

As for Conan, a leaked early draft of the -script has Conan' village wiped out and he seaks revenge. Later he becomes a protector for a girl who is some kind of 'chosen one' and he has to save the word. Sounds it's full of every cliche that's ever been in a lousy 80's S&S flick. :(

That said, this was an early draft before they had director Marcus Nispel on board so maybe things will change.

I just threw up in my mouth a little. I mean, that's lame. If that's the case, just call him something different.

I believe everything I read online, except when I hear something like this. C'mon. Knowles speaks the truth and can't be bribed.

I just threw up in my mouth a little. I mean, that's lame. If that's the case, just call him something different.

Yeah, like Beastmaster 3. doh!

edit: Actually the chosen one chick sounds way too much like Conan the Destroyer. :eek:

I have always been a fan of Solomon Kane. This "WitchHunter" stereotype has been used in many ways since Howards version was first put to paper.

Warhammer Fantasy games has used it extensively and added to it in many ways. Oddly enough I never did enjoy the Howard stories as much as the stylized versions seen in the above mentioned games and subsequent iterations.

Solomon Kane is just a really cool character.

Did anyone read the new Dark Horse Solomon Kane mini? It was my first introduction to the character and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I need to hunt down some of REH's Kane books.

Not yet, but I'm going to get the tb that just came out - I've heard it's pretty good.

As for the original stories, pick up The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane published by Delrey - it has all of Howard's SK material in it's original form, including the poems and fragments.

Link

Did anyone read the new Dark Horse Solomon Kane mini? It was my first introduction to the character and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I need to hunt down some of REH's Kane books.

Not yet, but I'm going to get the tb that just came out - I've heard it's pretty good.

As for the original stories, pick up The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane published by Delrey - it has all of Howard's SK material in it's original form, including the poems and fragments.

Link

Yeah, I've had my eye on that line for awhile now, but the collector in me needs a first print. I know, I know, it's silly, but it's me.

I'm digging REH, man. I've been devouring the comics and the original stories. I'm hooked, big time.

Yeah, I've had my eye on that line for awhile now, but the collector in me needs a first print. I know, I know, it's silly, but it's me.

I'm digging REH, man. I've been devouring the comics and the original stories. I'm hooked, big time.

Ah! Then you need the Wandering Star signed/numbered limited editions which the Delrey series reprints. They are "first editions thus" (i.e. first time published in this format).

SolomonKane02sm.jpg

SolomonKane01sm.jpg

SolomonKane03sm.jpg

Yeah, I've seen that picture and drool every time. Great stuff. Amazing how expensive those books are. I did a quick search on abe.com and the cheapest I saw was $750. I'm sure they can be found for a little less, but wow.

Any idea what the original selling price was on these Wandering Star books?