• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good or bad time to start an LCS

80 posts in this topic

Been thinking about opening an Collectibles-LCS in my area for a couple years now. I think I have enough industry knowledge (though there's constant learning involved) and the ability to run a small business - an uber-geek passion for all things comics, sci-fi and Americana helps too :) . But I want to be realistic about this and make sure I don't end up wasting time and money on something that is destined to fail. At this point, I'm working on the financial plan, particularly the projected monthly costs/income - an important task before diving right in.

Any current and former LCS owners who can offer some wisdom on this subject?

Considering the economy state, is this a bad idea?

Thanks for your input!

Pete

Are there any stores in the entire country that you'd call a "local comics shop" anymore? Seems like they're all "local collectibles shops" now that can't just sell comics to stay afloat, they always seem like they have to sell EVERY collectible just to scrape by.

Q: What's the easiest way to become a millionaire?

A: Make a billion dollars and then open up a comic shop.

All joking aside, I don't know of a single comic book shop still in existence, as they've all morphed into "Entertainment Stores" carrying cards, games, sports collectibles, toys, nerd clothing, Japanese/Asian knick-knacks, the current "hot Xmas gifts", etc. - i.e. all-around geek-out shops that *also* carry a few comics.

At the two I pass by, I was amazed how much the comics were pushed out, and in one, only a single shelf exists right at the back. Even a few years ago, comics still took up about the half the shop - now maybe 10-15%. (shrug)

I think Bedrock's 3 shops would still be considered comic shops. He should be back in Houston tomorrow, after his epic journey home from SD. PM him. I'm sure he'd have some wise words.

The bricks-and-mortar store is almost dead. I'm working towards my own comic business for 2010, 100% of it being online.

My partner in this venture has been in retail for almost 20 years. He's recently got out and will be staying out, as he feels it's become an exercise in futility. (thumbs u

I think Bedrock's 3 shops would still be considered comic shops.

Maybe, but I have yet to see a LCS that sells *only* comic books/trades, like they used to in the 80's and 90's. (shrug)

I think Bedrock's 3 shops would still be considered comic shops. He should be back in Houston tomorrow, after his epic journey home from SD. PM him. I'm sure he'd have some wise words.

I think Rich benefits from having a stellar, national reputation, as well as experience that is almost unsurpassed.

To start from fresh? Nope, I wouldn't be recommending it.

People say this is a good time to start a business because you can get very favorable lease terms. A comic book store, I dunno. You have to have a passion for retail.

I'd think that if you can dominate an area it can be quite profitable. Like if you're the top store in a good sized college town.

Weird... we've got several here in my area. In fact, there are four within ten miles of one another and they're all comics-only. (And this is in the suburbs.)

I still can't endorse opening a comic store, however. Seems a fantastically ill-advised idea.

Weird... we've got several here in my area. In fact, there are four within ten miles of one another and they're all comics-only. (And this is in the suburbs.)

I still can't endorse opening a comic store, however. Seems a fantastically ill-advised idea.

Where are you?

well, it would be kindah silly not to sell comic-themed toys and t-shirts too if there's a market for them where the store is. would that make it not a comic shop?

what i've thought would be a way for the comic shop not to cost you much is if you buy the whole minimall and reserve a spot for yourself in one of the storefronts and rent out the rest. sure, there's the lost rental income, but if the other rents can carry you...

OF COURSE, if you're able to buy the shopping strip at some distressed price (which is how this would need to be done), then maybe the location isn't so great and you'll have a tough time selling comics there.

given that you're interested in a variety of collecting areas, why not have the shop cater to them? maybe some of those trekkies will buy some comics too.

basically, as outlined above the ONLY good thing about opening up in this economy is that you might be able to swing a good deal on rent or buying the storefront outright. everything else is against you.

A few random thoughts:

1. the rent for a good location will kill you financially

2. back issues take up a lot of capital, square footage, they move slow, and customers handling them degrades them

3. people don't buy back issues like they used to

4. people don't buy new issues anymore, you can't count on "investors" buying 10 copies of a hot book

5. you are a lot better off selling online if you really love comics

6. your best books you will end up selling online anyway

but what do I know ............

If done right, any store will succeed. I know that's not exactly deep or helpful in anyway, but if there's enough planning and you cater to the customers you're looking for, it can work.

Check out Isotope Comics in San Francisco. Or Meltdown Comics in LA. I know they have great locations, but they also have what their customers want. Those two things are actually what any business needs to succeed.

I think Rich benefits from having a stellar, national reputation, as well as experience that is almost unsurpassed.

To start from fresh? Nope, I wouldn't be recommending it.

That's the key.

My best friend also runs a LCS but has a long standing rep in town and was manager to the longest running comic book store in Canada. He also has NO online presence although I have tried to convince him to do so.

It's rep and experience that keep it going. Starting fresh would need something really, really innovative.

All of the LCS in my area, in the 20+ years my dad/myself have been going to them, have always sold comics and then RPG games, comic merchandise, and sometimes sports cards. I don't think I've ever seen a shop that was strictly comics.

All joking aside, I don't know of a single comic book shop still in existence, as they've all morphed into "Entertainment Stores" carrying cards, games, sports collectibles, toys, nerd clothing, Japanese/Asian knick-knacks, the current "hot Xmas gifts", etc. - i.e. all-around geek-out shops that *also* carry a few comics.

At the two I pass by, I was amazed how much the comics were pushed out, and in one, only a single shelf exists right at the back. Even a few years ago, comics still took up about the half the shop - now maybe 10-15%. (shrug)

I can't remember the last time I was in a comic book store where the focus wasn't on comic books & TPB's - and I've been to about 15 different stores in the greater Chicagoland area. Not to say that stores aren't carrying a more eclectic mix of things these days, but the primary focus is always on comics.

Maybe, but I have yet to see a LCS that sells *only* comic books/trades, like they used to in the 80's and 90's. (shrug)

80s perhaps, but M:TG hit in the 90s, and pretty much every single comic book store started carrying trading card games at that time. T-shirts & statues were big in the 80s/90s as well.

I can't remember the last time I was in a comic book store where the focus wasn't on comic books & TPB's - and I've been to about 15 different stores in the greater Chicagoland area. Not to say that stores aren't carrying a more eclectic mix of things these days, but the primary focus is always on comics.

80s perhaps, but M:TG hit in the 90s, and pretty much every single comic book store started carrying trading card games at that time. T-shirts & statues were big in the 80s/90s as well.

The more I travel, the more I realize that Chicago is the exception....the extreme exception. How many comic shops do you think are in the greater Chicagoland area? 50? I have been to dozens personally. Hell, Graham Crackers alone has like 8 or 9 locations.

The more I travel, the more I realize that Chicago is the exception....the extreme exception. How many comic shops do you think are in the greater Chicagoland area? 50? I have been to dozens personally. Hell, Graham Crackers alone has like 8 or 9 locations.

It must be a Midwest thing...

Yeah, a comics-only-and-nothing-else store lies outside my personal experiences, as well.

Even back in the mid 80's going to Heroes World in the Galleria Mall - I think that's the name of the place - there were plenty of non-comics lining all the walls.

As far as opening one's own shop, I guess it depends on the number of subscribers you can get and the number of gamers you can bring in for all-night weekend marathon sessions of whatever role-playing card / minatures game is hot these days