• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #77 And Chuck Austen (spoilers too)

3 posts in this topic

I must say, I was a little worried about how Austen would handle the mighty Avengers. I have heard and seen so many compaints about the guy and his X-men run, that I thought he was poison.

However, Avengers #77 was a pretty cool issue! It is a 50 cent special this month, and has some great action with the Wrecking Crew, nice interaction with Cap and Hawkeye, and a cool twist with the Wasp. Copiel did the art for this issue - much better than Kolins IMHO.

Anyway, perhaps my standards are lowered after the subpar run by Geoff Johns, but I think the Avengers are in good hands if Austen can keep this up (I know, it is only 1 issue). We shall see! smile.gif

I liked Austen's small run on Elektra and Coipel's work caught my eye in a preview of the Red Mist story, but as the issues progressed during that storyline, the quality of his work waned.

I read the 50 cent issue and thought it was... okay. Unfortunately, it's hard to match the quality when the title was originally rebooted with Busiek/Perez... Coipel's art leaves a little to be desired, but I thought the story is at least headed in the right direction. The Avengers needs someone really dynamic on the art, and since Alan Davis's short run, we haven't seen it.