• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does White = White??

25 posts in this topic

maybe cgc should change it from a color structure, to a numbered structure...

in other words, as someone mentioned, there are tons of new books given the 'white" designation that have virtually no white color at all... and, of course, brittle and slightly brittle are "colors" used on cgc labels...

truly, I view it as "page quality", not just page color... after all, we think of "white" as being the highest page quality, and it goes down from there...

so, it is not always about color, but quality of the pages that determine the PQ designation from cgc

maybe cgc should change it from a color structure, to a numbered structure...

in other words, as someone mentioned, there are tons of new books given the 'white" designation that have virtually no white color at all... and, of course, brittle and slightly brittle are "colors" used on cgc labels...

truly, I view it as "page quality", not just page color... after all, we think of "white" as being the highest page quality, and it goes down from there...

so, it is not always about color, but quality of the pages that determine the PQ designation from cgc

I really would love to meet up with you and discuss this topic, Rick.

Ever since you posted that in the Showcase 22 thread, it's had me thinking. I get where you're coming from, but it doesn't quite add up to me (but more b/c I have never heard CGC's offical stance on PQ and my recent resuc results).

I am happy to discuss anytime (thumbs u

the bottom line is color does not always equate to PQ (page quality, not page "color")

sure, most of the time, a fresh supple book will have "white" pages (with the definition of white being as close to original issued color as possible)...

but keep in mind, paper is made from wood pulp, and wood pulp is not inherintly "white", it is processed and bleached to obtain that color...

so, CGC gives an overall quality assignment to pages... color, suppleness, structure, etc... and based on that, they assign a 'quality" that is generally associated with a color, but not always (like slightly brittle, or brittle)...

we always think of "white" as new, and tanning pages as "old"...but, sometimes, the original page "color" might have been cream or tan to begin with (depends on stock of the paper, the hue, etc)... but if that cream or tan looking paper is "original" in color and it is supple as new, then it could conceivably be given the "ow/w" PQ...because that is a way to quantitatively via visual description, assign...

fun topic to discuss, no doubt

I am still trying to wrap my head around the number system Rick, but I am starting to like the idea. I am wondering how it would work though because it isn't as simple as 1 being poor brittle pos paper and 10 being white and supple. Would it be more denoting the quality of the paper, no matter what the color is?

As you said, for various reasons it all comes down to overall PQ not color. I would love to see a better system that can convey what is actually sitting inside the slab because sometimes the term brittle or tanned can be very misleading while damaging to the value of the book.

And good luck trying to sell a new system to those who love seeing "white" pages on their CGC labels!!

I like a combo of pq (page quality) and actual pc (page color)

sort of like

Very Supple White or very supple ow/w

or Supple Off White

or flexible cream to off white

or slightly rigid/slightly brittle tan to cream

or inflexible/brittle Tan to cream

etc