• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOP 10 DC COVERS.....Nominations for a poll

204 posts in this topic

I second Our Army at War 112.

Heck, you should break it out. Top 10 super-hero, war, and non here. War alone can have 10 easy.

A DC sci-fi/horror cover poll would be great.

my personal faves green lantern 8 mis 55 our fighting forces 71 jla 46 gi combat 129(my grandfather bought this one for me) wonder woman 199 atom 7 batman 189 metamorpho 3 flash 123

Although I love DCs, I would be the first to admit that they didn't generate a lot of great covers
:screwy:

A good way to look is to use this link. http://www.dcindexes.com/timemachine/releasedate.php?year=1956&month=8

I should have qualified that I only meant superhero books.

I just don't think DC had a lot of great superhero covers. If I put my list of favorite SA covers together, there would probably be only 1 or 2 DC covers in there. (shrug)

I concur.

Here's five from me, no surprise who the main character is:

Superman 144

sm144.jpg

I respect everyones opinion here but any if any cover with Super Dog or Hound (whatever) makes it in the top 10 then DC really sucks. :shy:

I love that cover! :sumo:

Although I love DCs, I would be the first to admit that they didn't generate a lot of great covers

A good way to look is to use this link. http://www.dcindexes.com/timemachine/releasedate.php?year=1956&month=8

I should have qualified that I only meant superhero books.

I just don't think DC had a lot of great superhero covers. If I put my list of favorite SA covers together, there would probably be only 1 or 2 DC covers in there. (shrug)

I concur.

I presume you guys prefer Marvel, and aren't pushing for Archie covers. I love early SA Marvels, I collect them, and I like the covers. But there's a certain monotony to their themes (guys and gals fighting), to their presentation (words and exclamation points), and to the color pallette. The infinite DC colors alone make their covers more dynamic.

I also prefer DC's wide stable of great artists (Kubert, Anderson, Heath, Infantino, Meskin, Moriera, Kirby, Kane, and others), to Marvel's limited crew (Kirby, Ditko, and...that's about it).

here is one of my favorites: or is it too old?

9.6???!!! Is that real?

hm it is real, but it is not mine. I have a folder called "wants, misses and wants". anytime I see a book I want to own some day, it goes in there. This is high on the list..... :cloud9:

I also prefer DC's wide stable of great artists (Kubert, Anderson, Heath, Infantino, Meskin, Moriera, Kirby, Kane, and others), to Marvel's limited crew (Kirby, Ditko, and...that's about it).

I think you missed a few good artists in the Marvel lineup. Ever heard of a guys named Buscema, or Romita Sr?

I think you missed a few good artists in the Marvel lineup. Ever heard of a guys named Buscema, or Romita Sr?

I specifically said I was talking about the early Silver Age. :baiting:

Romita started in 1966, Buscema a bit later, Steranko a bit later. For most of the Silver Age Marvel had two strong artists, Kirby and Ditko. DC had many.

There are scores of great covers and it was painful to add just these few.

GI Combat 78

My Greatest Adv 17

Showcase 14

Wonder Woman 95

Action 242

Finally, a man with taste.

Here are my nods.

Star spangled War Stories #138- I really feel this cover is the most pulsating, evocative,emotive cover from DC's Silver Age

G.I. Combat #78 - Gripping x10

G.I. Combat #91 -THE COLORS!

Rex the Wonder Dog #31- This is Call of the Wild action

Our Fighting Forces #49- The greens on a nice copy of this just pull you in, and Pooch kick butt

Showcase #3- Brilliant gray wash frogman cover

Showcase #28- Heath Gray Wash cover w/Tiki scuba divers! This really has a realistic underwater feel.

It's Gametime #4 - Ultimate in whimsical goodness

My Greatest Adventure #17- Indiana Jones anyone?

Flash #121- Between the colors and perspective of this cover, there is really some 3-D feel to this bad boy

Great list, many more obscure, but powerful covers there

The reason my own bias is towards Marvel superhero covers is because Jack Kirby drew great superhero covers.

DC's editorial style for their hero book covers seemed to emphasize narrative over the dramatic. Look at JLA 1 and JLA 21--there's a whole lotta sittin' goin' on! It also just so happens that DC's best cover artists (Kubert and Heath) tended mostly to work on non-hero books. Kubert ends up providing 2 of the DCs that would make my list of favorite SA covers (B&B 34 and 36). Maybe if he and Heath had done a lot more hero covers then there would be heavier DC representation in my own favorite list (I'm also excluding Sea Devils as superheroes). Kane is the main hero artist at DC who seemed to consistently generate decent covers, but I don't consider many of them to be great. I love Anderson, but with a few exceptions like MIS 90 his covers never blew me away. Infantino I never really cared for.

It's interesting that this is completely the reverse from my opinions of GA covers. There would be ZERO Timely covers in my favorites list, because I hated the Timely house style, whereas I loved DC's dramatic, uncluttered GA covers. Somewhere along the line, maybe with the popularization of word balloons on covers, DC turned down the volume on their covers, while Marvel uncluttered their covers and really made them pop.

I think tth2 is a well known DC apologist and collector of high grade lame covers :baiting: [ oh I kid-at least about the "apologist" remark :grin: ] so I had to do a double take when I saw who posted it.

Guilty as charged. I love DCs, but not necessarily their covers (even when they're high grade).

The reason my own bias is towards Marvel superhero covers is because Jack Kirby drew great superhero covers.

DC's editorial style for their hero book covers seemed to emphasize narrative over the dramatic. Look at JLA 1 and JLA 21--there's a whole lotta sittin' goin' on! It also just so happens that DC's best cover artists (Kubert and Heath) tended mostly to work on non-hero books. Kubert ends up providing 2 of the DCs that would make my list of favorite SA covers (B&B 34 and 36). Maybe if he and Heath had done a lot more hero covers then there would be heavier DC representation in my own favorite list (I'm also excluding Sea Devils as superheroes). Kane is the main hero artist at DC who seemed to consistently generate decent covers, but I don't consider many of them to be great. I love Anderson, but with a few exceptions like MIS 90 his covers never blew me away. Infantino I never really cared for.

It's interesting that this is completely the reverse from my opinions of GA covers. There would be ZERO Timely covers in my favorites list, because I hated the Timely house style, whereas I loved DC's dramatic, uncluttered GA covers. Somewhere along the line, maybe with the popularization of word balloons on covers, DC turned down the volume on their covers, while Marvel uncluttered their covers and really made them pop.

Kirby drew some great covers!

I agree on the action vs. exposition thing: Marvel tried to get people to buy their books with action, pure and simple, whereas DC focused more on attracting buyers with situations: a hero in an exciting predicament, a hero doing something unexpected, a friend turning on a hero, etc.

Yeah, if you don't care for Kane or Infantino that eliminates a lot of DC superhero covers.

I agree on the Timelys!